Saudi Arabia implements electronic tracking of women

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Saudi Arabia implements electronic tracking system for women

RIYADH — Denied the right to travel without consent from their male guardians and banned from driving, women in Saudi Arabia are now monitored by an electronic system that tracks any cross-border movements.

Since last week, Saudi women’s male guardians began receiving text messages on their phones informing them when women under their custody leave the country, even if they are travelling together.

Manal al-Sherif, who became the symbol of a campaign launched last year urging Saudi women to defy a driving ban, began spreading the information on Twitter, after she was alerted by a couple.

The husband, who was travelling with his wife, received a text message from the immigration authorities informing him that his wife had left the international airport in Riyadh.

There's something deeply comical about this (as with many other things that come out of this religious hellhole) but also something deeply, deeply sad and messed up about it as well.

Good luck to Manal al-Sherif and the courageous women of the Kingdom - they need all the blessings they can get.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 2:24 pm

Hah!

That's just the prototype.

Next step:

Oh, wait... I hope the Saudi government isn't reading this... they might get ideas...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 2:27 pm

Quote:
Saudi Arabia rulers fear women so much that they implement electronic tracking system for them

RIYADH -- Denied the right to travel without consent from their gynophobic male guardians and banned from driving by a government that fears giving power to anyone other than other gynophobic men, women in Saudi Arabia are now monitored by an electronic system that tracks any cross-border movements.

Since last week, Saudi women’s fear-filled male guardians began receiving text messages on their phones informing them when women under their custody leave the country, even if they are traveling together.

Manal al-Sherif, who became the symbol of a campaign launched last year urging Saudi women to defy a driving ban, began spreading the information on Twitter, after she was alerted by a couple.

The cowardly husband, who was traveling with his wife, and who fears not knowing where she is at any given time, received a text message from the immigration authorities informing him that his wife had left the international airport in Riyadh.

Corrected for truth.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 2:31 pm

Having said that, Saudi authorities are considering allowing women to drive for the first time. Here is a woman shown in her car driving...

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 5:08 pm

Tequila wrote:
Having said that, Saudi authorities are considering allowing women to drive for the first time. Here is a woman shown in her car driving...

Ho ho ho. About as witty as Bernard Manning and 5 pints of lager.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 5:12 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Tequila wrote:

What's the problem? Can't stand threads involving Islam that don't blame Israel for everything?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 5:14 pm

thomas81 wrote:

So, pretty amusing on the whole.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 5:25 pm

GGPViper wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Tequila wrote:

What's the problem? Can't stand threads involving Islam that don't blame Israel for everything?

I was just making a dig.

In case you are unaware, Bernard Manning was a divisive English comedian whose repertoire consisted of low brow humour with subject matter orientated entirely against demographics other than heterosexual, able bodied, white men.

Not attypical of tequila's image and caption.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 5:30 pm

thomas81 wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Tequila wrote:

I was just making a dig.

In case you are unaware, Bernard Manning was a divisive English comedian whose repotoire consisted of low brow humour with subject matter orientated entirely against demographics other than heterosexual, able bodied, white men.

I know. I always Google and/or Wiki anything unfamiliar I come across before replying. As such, I also know that Bernard Mannings Indian neighbours rejected the racist claims against him.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 5:32 pm

GGPViper wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Tequila wrote:

I was just making a dig.

In case you are unaware, Bernard Manning was a divisive English comedian whose repotoire consisted of low brow humour with subject matter orientated entirely against demographics other than heterosexual, able bodied, white men.

I know. I always Google and/or Wiki anything unfamiliar I come across before replying. As such, I also know that Bernard Mannings Indian neighbours rejected the racist claims against him.

Oh well. In that case I'm sure the entireity of the black, gay and irish community forgive him all his transgressions then.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 5:32 pm

thomas81 wrote:
... Bernard Manning was a divisive English comedian whose repertoire consisted of low brow humour with subject matter orientated entirely against demographics other than heterosexual, able bodied, white men.

A real Republican, eh? If he were a Yank, that is.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 5:36 pm

thomas81 wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Tequila wrote:

I was just making a dig.

Oh well. In that case I'm sure the entireity of the black, gay and irish community forgive him all his transgressions then.

So, he was making fun of a wider demographic than just white men?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 5:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
... Bernard Manning was a divisive English comedian whose repertoire consisted of low brow humour with subject matter orientated entirely against demographics other than heterosexual, able bodied, white men.

You cant really compare his roots to the American right wing. The irksome thing is he rubbed shoulders with real working class labour voting types.

Class concious people, but carrying enormous reactionary baggage on issues relating to cultural awareness. He came from an era before the leftist politically correct media renaissance of the 80's ushered by the likes of Ben Elton and Lenny Henry, before it became politically taboo to deliver his subject matter.

IMO that renaissance was a necessary event.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 5:39 pm

GGPViper wrote:

So, he was making fun of a wider demographic than just white men?

He didnt make fun of white men at all. Not surprising, as he was one. I have real problems with comedy that tries to be controversial through sweeping generalising but is completely incapable of critical introspection.

In the 70's and 80's in England Islamophobia wasn't on the table. It was mostly anti-black racism and anti-Irish racism.

For the best part, Irish werent considered 'white'.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 5:41 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

You cant really compare his roots to the American right wing...

That's true ... you didn't say that he was wealthy, as well.

Our current crop of Republicans are trying desperately to retain a cultural identity that dominated America in the 1950s -- Wealthy, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant (W.A.S.P.) males running everything for themselves, while keeping everybody else* ignorant and "in line".

Their decline in power began during the 1960s Sexual Revolution and Civil Rights Movement. This may correspond to the "Renaissance" that you mentioned.

*Asians, Blacks, Catholics, Hispanics, Jews, Women, and poor people.

Last edited by Fnord on 22 Nov 2012, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 5:42 pm

That's both hilarious and deeply disturbing.

You will reap what you've sown.