Other Latin America (specify) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other Caribbean (specify) 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Other (specify) 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 22

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 1:42 pm

My poll on which ancient society was best for women didn't stimulate a whole lot of discussion. Some women opined that none of them were any good for women.

So, how about modern societies? In the Modern World, there must be some place that the ladies would find tolerable.

Possibly Sweden for the public benefits? USA for our nationalistic chauvinism? Cuba for the egalitarianism? Israel for being close to Yahweh? The Caribbean for the romantic men?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Nov 2012, 1:53 pm

I don't really know.

Aren't there some African societies that are matriarchal?

Iceland has a female leader, and I understand gender equality is very good. It wasn't covered by your categories, so I went for Other.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 5:57 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I don't really know.

Iceland has a female leader, and I understand gender equality is very good. It wasn't covered by your categories, so I went for Other.

Well, Iceland is Scandinavian.

Lots of countries have had female leaders.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Nov 2012, 6:46 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I don't really know.

Well, Iceland is Scandinavian.

Lots of countries have had female leaders.

Iceland is Nordic, like Scandinavia, Finland and the Faroes. Scandinavia is just Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

A lot of countries have had female leaders, but the two most high profile ones- Thatcher and Merkel- weren't/aren't the same type of liberal leader, and neither Germany or Britain has the same levels of equality as Iceland.

Having said that, a woman in Germany or Britain is probably better off than her Icelandic counterpart in terms of wages, so you'd probably just go for a Benelux or Scandinavian country which is very developed.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 7:27 pm

Quote:
My poll on which ancient society was best for women didn't stimulate a whole lot of discussion. Some women opined that none of them were any good for women.

I missed that one. I would have said Minoan society.

As for modern societies, I can only say that any country with socialized medicine, mandatory paid maternity leave, and subsidized childcare would be an improvement upon America. I believe those conditions are met by several European countries.
Also, Ireland used to pay women 140 euros a month for each child they had, regardless of income. I don't know whether the country's recent austerity measures have curtailed that practice.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 7:37 pm

Its good to see America and Canada in the lead. I voted for the US. I did post rather late on your ancient women's thread but it did get a few pages worth of discussion.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 7:43 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Its good to see America and Canada in the lead. I voted for the US. I did post rather late on your ancient women's thread but it did get a few pages worth of discussion.

Why would you consider the USA to be so great for the ladies?

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 8:10 pm

For societal reasons Norway, Sweden and Iceland. But for best living choice I have no idea. I don't think they necessarily correlate. I know the mentioned countries place high on the "quality of life" measurements, but women would maybe think that countries to live in is jugded by preferences, not opportunities?

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 8:24 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:

Why would you consider the USA to be so great for the ladies?

You know, I don't fully know considering that I agree more with what European stance on abortion was a few decades ago. I don't know if it's gone as pro-abortionist as RVW has made the American social landscape now, but I admired the language as I understood it a few years ago. I would simply say that our young ladies go farther then young european ladies who graduate publicly funded uni to a far more harsh economic landscape. Our young ladies are graduating with higher honors and landing better paying positions.

Their educated young ladies may have it better in the long run considering the aging work force in europe will demand more high skilled labor and since all these uneducated morrocans, turks, and serbs cannot fill those positions, the well educated will be uncontested unless Europe starts importing in chinese and Indians.

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 9:15 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
I would simply say that our young ladies go farther then young european ladies who graduate publicly funded uni to a far more harsh economic landscape. Our young ladies are graduating with higher honors and landing better paying positions.

What do you mean with this? Is the economic landscape in Europe more harsh than in the US? If you look away from the countries that are seriously affected, the answer must clearly be no. It is much more harsh in the US, much more. And expensive univeristies versus publicly funded universities is quite a shallow viewpoint, considering we are talking about women in general, and not the wealthy. Better pay in the US is probably correct, but what do you mean with higher honors? (Plus: Do we import foreigners in Europe? :P)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 9:24 pm

How would I know unless I lived in each country for a period of time? I'd just be guessing.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 9:52 pm

Misslizard wrote:
How would I know unless I lived in each country for a period of time? I'd just be guessing.

Sure, take a guess. By the time you got back from living in each country for a period of time, some people here would probably complain about having an ancient thread resurrected so that you could give your fully-informed opinion.

Obviously, no-one here has lived in every country. So, venture a guess, based upon your preconceived notions.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 10:19 pm

Well I'm sure that there are people on this forum that are considerably more well travelled than me so their votes would carry more weight,I've only been to Mexico once and that is the extent of my travels.Of course if I had a benefactor to take me around the world I'd be more informed but that's not likely to happen and I'm paranoid of airplanes so I'll just take a guess.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 10:36 pm

Underscore wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
I would simply say that our young ladies go farther then young european ladies who graduate publicly funded uni to a far more harsh economic landscape. Our young ladies are graduating with higher honors and landing better paying positions.

What do you mean with this? Is the economic landscape in Europe more harsh than in the US? If you look away from the countries that are seriously affected, the answer must clearly be no. It is much more harsh in the US, much more. And expensive univeristies versus publicly funded universities is quite a shallow viewpoint, considering we are talking about women in general, and not the wealthy. Better pay in the US is probably correct, but what do you mean with higher honors? (Plus: Do we import foreigners in Europe? :P)

I am including both our private and our public ivies. Our public ivies are pretty good. UC Berkeley, University of Washington, UofTexas(Austin), North Carolina, Virginia, UCLA are world class public ivies that are very well founded research institutes. An education is easily afforded to most US people via grants and loans, this was never the case a few decades ago when Harvard and other private ivies was only in reach of the wealthy.

I mean the countries in the south, from portugal to greece and italy. I am also speaking in generalities from the beginning of the last decade through 2012, considering employment rates amongst the youth and the jobs they do get. Lousy/useless degree holders or the least educated, in my opinion, have better economic chances in America over that span of time.

By honors I mean types of degrees pursued and in comparison to men. Women are graduating with better degrees in shorter time, and that degree translates to a better position in the private sector then their male counterpart. Feel free to correct me on any of this from an european viewpoint.

And it is my understanding that even the diversity of the workforce of somewhere like Provence or Brittany and London has to do with lax immigration policies, lax because the system needs workers to support the hoards of retirees since there is a thinning in european demographics from the old to the young.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 10:52 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Well I'm sure that there are people on this forum that are considerably more well travelled than me so their votes would carry more weight,I've only been to Mexico once and that is the extent of my travels.Of course if I had a benefactor to take me around the world I'd be more informed but that's not likely to happen and I'm paranoid of airplanes so I'll just take a guess.

Well, you could just write in Arkansas

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUFL2GT1-2g[/youtube]

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 11:13 pm

[quote="MarketAndChurch"][/quote]

There was a lot to be cleared up there.

I wouldn't react if you said that. It's a minimal portion of Europe you're talking about. (Not most of it, to emphasize that). Because of this I don't understand so much of what you're saying, because the same positive development for women is happening in the places in Europe that I know about. Like Scandinavia. Honors and education are much the same, I would be surprised if women, education and jobs are in better development in the US? I have never heard of that, it is very interesting if that is so.