Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 8:08 am

Yeah thats right. Including NATO. This morning I read an article of how NATO is bombing Gaddafi's home town of Sirte. Now don't get me wrong here, I understand that the intention of the rebels is to fight for freedom and establish democracy in Libya. However, seeing as Tripoli has been invaded and Gaddafi's compound has already been raided and occupied by rebels, I don't see why we should continue to hunt down pro-Gaddafi forces in some town.

Here's the thing, war is bad and horrible and killings should only be carried out when necessary. I don't see how its necessary to have to immediately clamp down on all the remnants of Gaddafi supporters.

It also said in the article that the tribesman and townspeople are loyal to Gaddafi. So does this mean that NATO would just kill all who decide to take up arms? Sure NATO would show to the world their "holier-than-thou" war tactic of not killing those who are unarmed. Firstly, civilians will inevitably be killed in the process of bombing. Secondly, I think that in situations like this, bombs and bullets are not the solution. Instead, the solution should be long-term, trying to win the hearts and minds of the townspeople by treating them fairly and with human rights. I don't see that going town-to-town hunting down armed Gaddafi supporters are the best solution.

Now, I don't really have much problem with the rebels fighting Gaddafi supporters in Tripoli. Thats different. They pose a threat and danger to the civilians living in the city. But again, I think its wrong to go to random towns and start killing people simply because they still have their loyalty towards Gaddafi. I believe that most of the remaining Gaddafi supporters are not stubborn people. Its just that they have been treated well by Gaddafi for decades and it will take some time to convince them thru peaceful means that the new government will treat them equal or even better than Gaddafi did.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 9:14 am

NATO, the UN, etc....they are all monsters. They just put on a prettier face.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 10:52 am

It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it. -- Robert E. Lee --
Comment to James Longstreet, on seeing a Federal charge repulsed in the Battle of Fredericksburg (13 December 1862)

Last edited by ruveyn on 26 Aug 2011, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oort
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2011, 1:11 pm

NATO is just as bad as any terrorist group in any country. Worse, perhaps, as they can bring there atomic fist down anywhere in the world. Look what they did to Iran, they forced them to stop there nuclear research. I am not so certain that I want ICBM's in the hands on religious extremists, but to impose ones will over other countries is wrong. Look at it from a smaller scale. Here in America, we dont allow all of the large corporations to join together and opress smaller ones. Nor do we allow them to write the rules of the game so that they always win. Just because NATO runs around with a smiley face sticker bragging about how they destroy people who dont treat other nicely, does not mean they are the good guys. Look at us, we are barely above Rwanda in terms of economic equality. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. The thing about what NATO and all its members do, is that they have manipulated the rules of the game so that there can be no other players. Without someone to keep them in check, they can become as corrupt and evil as any dictator ever was. But by the time they do it, they will be so far ahead, that there will be no chance for a revolution, or an uprising, or anything that can change the way it works. People who have power dont vote to have less power, they vote to have more. The whole thing need to be torn down and built up again from the very foundation.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 6:53 pm

@ Oort

Iran's President has pretty much announced if he gets his hands on nuclear weapons he's going to use them to try to kill all the Israelis. We aren't dealing with the Soviets whom were at least had a sense of sanity. The people running Iran however are fanatics, and we should take them at their word that they will attempt to do what they say they will do.

Remember, this government has gunned down their own citizens in the streets, they don't care what happens to their citizens in their quest of jihad.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 11:13 pm

The war is being waged in the name of protecting civilians and yet they're destroying Sirte and its civilian population. The whole thing is a bad joke. Had Qaddafi been allowed to finish things in March, it would be over and far fewer people would be dead and wounded and Libya would be far less damaged.

Iran's president is not its supreme ruler and he merely said that Israel would disappear as an entity in due course presumably as Rhodesia has.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 11:37 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Yeah thats right. Including NATO. This morning I read an article of how NATO is bombing Gaddafi's home town of Sirte. Now don't get me wrong here, I understand that the intention of the rebels is to fight for freedom and establish democracy in Libya. However, seeing as Tripoli has been invaded and Gaddafi's compound has already been raided and occupied by rebels, I don't see why we should continue to hunt down pro-Gaddafi forces in some town.

Here's the thing, war is bad and horrible and killings should only be carried out when necessary. I don't see how its necessary to have to immediately clamp down on all the remnants of Gaddafi supporters.

It also said in the article that the tribesman and townspeople are loyal to Gaddafi. So does this mean that NATO would just kill all who decide to take up arms? Sure NATO would show to the world their "holier-than-thou" war tactic of not killing those who are unarmed. Firstly, civilians will inevitably be killed in the process of bombing. Secondly, I think that in situations like this, bombs and bullets are not the solution. Instead, the solution should be long-term, trying to win the hearts and minds of the townspeople by treating them fairly and with human rights. I don't see that going town-to-town hunting down armed Gaddafi supporters are the best solution.

Now, I don't really have much problem with the rebels fighting Gaddafi supporters in Tripoli. Thats different. They pose a threat and danger to the civilians living in the city. But again, I think its wrong to go to random towns and start killing people simply because they still have their loyalty towards Gaddafi. I believe that most of the remaining Gaddafi supporters are not stubborn people. Its just that they have been treated well by Gaddafi for decades and it will take some time to convince them thru peaceful means that the new government will treat them equal or even better than Gaddafi did.

Okay Mother Teresa, The way the US, Europe, and NATO handled the uprising created a situation where the rebels have to kill off everybody that has the political views and capability to mount an insurgency or they will have another Iraq. If Obama kept the peace deal the Bush administration made with Gaddafi and tuned a blind eye to him squashing those idiots early on in the first place, the body count would have been lower and the region would have been more secure by keeping a strong leader in power that can be pressured to keep the local militants in check and the foreign terrorists out. I don't have any love for Gaddafi, but let's face it, liberal pipe dreams overestimating how civilized those people were got in the way of assessing the situation on the ground there.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2011, 5:45 am

"No war is justifiable" ~ Benjamin Franklin

Of course, he didn't say not to fight a war but that war isn't justifiable. Because it isn't. Why fight and kill each other? That's just stupid. But that's also reality.

Now, turn off the computer monitor and go do something about it.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 5:51 am

Synecdoche wrote:
"No war is justifiable" ~ Benjamin Franklin

Of course, he didn't say not to fight a war but that war isn't justifiable. Because it isn't. Why fight and kill each other? That's just stupid. But that's also reality.

Now, turn off the computer monitor and go do something about it.

Do something about Libya? I'm not in a position to do anything about that or I would have. I'm still too young to run for president and I'm still never going to pass a physical to join the Marines or I would have done that when I was 18.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2011, 9:13 am

Quote:
Here in America, we dont allow all of the large corporations to join together and opress smaller ones. Nor do we allow them to write the rules of the game so that they always win

uh, yes we do, to both of those, and you can throw banks in there with corporations.
Quote:
Iran's President has pretty much announced if he gets his hands on nuclear weapons he's going to use them to try to kill all the Israelis

that's not what he told RT, he said "nuclear weapons are the weapon of the last century, information is the weapon of this century"
Israel has a three digit number of nuclear warhead, no one is going to be sending any bombs their way..

I'm afraid i can't comment on what is happening in libya but its not good. the question isn't what happens now, the question is who gets the gold, and who gets the oil.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 4:52 pm

"You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come."

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 5:03 pm

Yeah, the rapture so happened in the middle ages.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 7:02 pm

Oort wrote:
NATO is just as bad as any terrorist group in any country. Worse, perhaps, as they can bring there atomic fist down anywhere in the world. Look what they did to Iran, they forced them to stop there nuclear research. I am not so certain that I want ICBM's in the hands on religious extremists, but to impose ones will over other countries is wrong. Look at it from a smaller scale. Here in America, we dont allow all of the large corporations to join together and opress smaller ones. Nor do we allow them to write the rules of the game so that they always win. Just because NATO runs around with a smiley face sticker bragging about how they destroy people who dont treat other nicely, does not mean they are the good guys. Look at us, we are barely above Rwanda in terms of economic equality. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. The thing about what NATO and all its members do, is that they have manipulated the rules of the game so that there can be no other players. Without someone to keep them in check, they can become as corrupt and evil as any dictator ever was. But by the time they do it, they will be so far ahead, that there will be no chance for a revolution, or an uprising, or anything that can change the way it works. People who have power dont vote to have less power, they vote to have more. The whole thing need to be torn down and built up again from the very foundation.

i sense heavy sarcasm but I don't want to assume...

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 9:59 pm

Oort wrote:

Quote:
NATO is just as bad as any terrorist group in any country.

So was it NATO that attacked us on 9/11?
:roll:

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 10:20 pm

All war is cruel...

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 1:59 am

They are hitting military targets to prepare the way for the rebels to attack the last major Gadaffi stronghold. Hopefully they will surrender soon. But Gaddafi is still free and there is still fighting going on. This isnt over yet.

If you want to see cruelty just read what Gaddafi forces were doing to prisoners. Or see what his daughter in law did to her children's nanny:

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-08-28/worl ... s=PM:WORLD