Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 6:26 pm

SUBLIMINAL MESSAGING DOESN'T WORK YOU MORONS
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x9fkQlxfvw&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r0PrkJQU7Y&feature=relmfu[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgE7rmgyhgk&feature=relmfu[/youtube]
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/177/does-subliminal-advertising-work

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 6:32 pm

It actually does work to an extent, if you are dead set against something, you will be deadset against something. However if you're already thinking about something, subliminal advertising can be the little extra push to get people to do something, buy something, etc.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 7:58 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
It actually does work to an extent, if you are dead set against something, you will be deadset against something. However if you're already thinking about something, subliminal advertising can be the little extra push to get people to do something, buy something, etc.

There is no evidence for this claim whatsoever.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 8:05 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HCdRk0o5yk[/youtube]

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 8:10 pm

Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

That explains why corporations spend so much money for advertising...

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 8:18 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

The thread was about subliminal messaging, not advertising in general. Subliminal messaging is a scam.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 8:46 pm

Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

The thread was about subliminal messaging, not advertising in general. Subliminal messaging is a scam.

Subliminal messaging actually does work, it isn't the most effective form of advertising in general or way to attempt to get people to do things, but it has some effectiveness.

If people are already thinking about something a little push is all they need, and subliminal messaging can be rather effective in that case. However, if someone is not inclined to do something subliminal messaging isn't effective.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 12:29 am

You keep asserting the same thing, but you're still a moron. There is no evidence that subliminal messaging works at all, and significant evidence that it doesn't.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 12:40 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Subliminal messaging actually does work, it isn't the most effective form of advertising in general or way to attempt to get people to do things, but it has some effectiveness.

If people are already thinking about something a little push is all they need, and subliminal messaging can be rather effective in that case. However, if someone is not inclined to do something subliminal messaging isn't effective.
No. It. Does. Not. It is a myth that has been debunked, period. Showing "Drink Coca cola" or "Eat popcorn" for 1/3000 of a second does not increase sales in either of them in a theatre. The guy who conducted the experimented flat out lied by his own admission. After he was challenged to repeat the experiment, it showed no increase in Coke or popcorn sales and that's when he admitted he bullshitted and falsified the data of his first experiment.
http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/popcorn.asp

Hell if subliminal messaging did actually work, I'm pretty sure they would've been wise enough to make "Fair and balanced" an imperceptible message rather than a slogan. That would've been a lot more convincing.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 1:46 am

Vigilans wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Hell if subliminal messaging did actually work, I'm pretty sure they would've been wise enough to make "Fair and balanced" an imperceptible message rather than a slogan. That would've been a lot more convincing.

:lol:

Fair and Balanced is a much better slogan than "Lean Forward."

Subliminal messaging can work, but it has to be something that you would be able to notice if you really looked for it. Btw, of course 1/3000th of a second wouldn't work, hell 1/300th of a second wouldn't work, because it isn't even be picked up by our eyes which has trouble discerning things past 60 frames per second. You are suggesting the eye would be able to track something at a duration that 1/50th the duration needed for the eye to detect it.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 8:26 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:

:lol:

Subliminal messaging can work, but it has to be something that you would be able to notice if you really looked for it. Btw, of course 1/3000th of a second wouldn't work, hell 1/300th of a second wouldn't work, because it isn't even be picked up by our eyes which has trouble discerning things past 60 frames per second. You are suggesting the eye would be able to track something at a duration that 1/50th the duration needed for the eye to detect it.

Would this work?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSAOQuLxSdY[/youtube]

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 8:57 am

Great. Now my plans for world domination must be set aside.
I wish it were possible to influence people subliminally, as it's a
Very intriguing concept. Imagine being able to influence the minds of
Every human being on this planet to your advantage.

Many people have tried, it seems, but none have been successful.
Even the governments have looked into this possibility with little success.

My own take is that while subliminal messaging may be possible,
Only a direct approach actually gets the message across. In fact, subtle
Nuances of facial expression, body language, and tone of voice are
Effective mostly on neurotypicals, and not on Aspies/Aspergians like
You and I.

;)

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 10:56 am

Inuyasha wrote:

No, there is absolutely no proof that subliminal messaging works. You're going to have to back your claims up with some sources. You are just grasping at straws to defend Fox News for picking on a kid's cartoon. And "Fair and Balanced" is a lot more dishonest than "Lean Forward" since no mainstream news channel is fair and balanced but they all do lean towards sensationalism and bias. As for the frame rate thing, I'm not sure if that's an absolute limitation or if it's just a limitation under normal circumstances. I heard a story where a cop was shooting and he saw beer cans coming out of his gun with the word "Federal" on them. It's a known fact that under fear, your brain filters certain details out while processing other details that you don't normally perceive. So in this case the cop had tunnel vision but the cop was also able to perceive the printing on the bullet cases (which he perceived as beer cans since his tunnel vision made them look huge) as they were being ejected out of his gun.

number5 wrote:
Would this work?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSAOQuLxSdY[/youtube]
That worked out real well for them :lmao:

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 4:20 pm

I was thinking of "Lean Forward" being similar to saying "Bend Over," if I remember correctly Jon Stewart Pointed this out.

Anyways subliminal messages do have an effect, but it's effect is rather limited in scope. In other words, someone would have to already be thinking about doing something, say buy popcorn at theatre, they are already thinking about they probably smell other people's popcorn, then you have the subliminal message that is the little extra nudge that gets them to go buy popcorn. It isn't the most effective form of advertising but it can have an affect on people, as I pointed out earlier though, it's effectiveness is rather limited in scope.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 4:34 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
I was thinking of "Lean Forward" being similar to saying "Bend Over," if I remember correctly Jon Stewart Pointed this out.
lol I wouldn't be surprised if that's what their slogan really meant.

Inuyasha wrote:
Anyways subliminal messages do have an effect, but it's effect is rather limited in scope. In other words, someone would have to already be thinking about doing something, say buy popcorn at theatre, they are already thinking about they probably smell other people's popcorn, then you have the subliminal message that is the little extra nudge that gets them to go buy popcorn. It isn't the most effective form of advertising but it can have an affect on people, as I pointed out earlier though, it's effectiveness is rather limited in scope.
Once again, you're gonna have to back your statements up with a source.