Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 9:40 pm

I note that in this agora there are a many busily trying to convince the others of the error of their ways, or the righteousness of their own view.

There are a many jawing back and forth with rants and taunts and inadequately manipulated logic and dubious derivative data about the terrible things A is doing or the great things B could be doing and talking about rights and great wrongs defined and certified by God or the human spirit or Great Patham or Big Brother - quien sabe?

Wherefore? Let us say pandabear and Inuyasha - just for a change - are discussing what should Mr Obama do about the snail darter - and one of them ACTUALLY convinces the other with winged words of sweet reason.

Well, a miracle! Hey, I enjoy watching a miracle just as much as the next guy.

But - so big hairy deal. So Inuyasha and pandabear agree on the snail darter.

I know about the butterfly effect, but really, guys - how with even ALL Of us agreeing on the snail darter will it make ANY difference to the life of the snail darter, or Mr Obama's attitude to the snail darter?

I can just see it - BO comes onto podcast: "My fellow Americans, Inuyasha and pandabear are agreed, and I cannot but follow their benevolent leading. I therefore do hereby call upon Congress to put forward legislation on the snail darter question so that the right of snail darters to procreate shall not be infringed by local administrations."

Yeah, sure. I vote. Yes. Civic duty. And about as much inflence as buying a lottery ticket.

So - is it predetermined we gots to rabbit chicken, or is it we are called by God to do this like the prophet lying naked on his side, or do we just get a thrill out of futile bickering?

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 1:08 am

It's not as though the world's boring, when you pay attention to it, but the god thing hasn't been worth the effort from the beginning.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 1:16 am

peterd wrote:
It's not as though the world's boring, when you pay attention to it, but the god thing hasn't been worth the effort from the beginning.

Connectivity? I do not get it.

By "the god thing", do you mean PPR toktok, or what? Is me unclear.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 6:55 am

The only "mind" anyone can change is their own.

ruveyn

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 2:09 pm

ruveyn wrote:
The only "mind" anyone can change is their own.

ruveyn

Which tends to happen for some on the Greek Kalends. So true.

And fine for you and me - we will agree on thin disagree on that, and I will rap your knuckles when you say "three gods" and you rap mine when I say "mind", and I for one am good with that.

We know where we stand and if we don't ;like it we can ignore it or carp.

But just look at some of these interminable exchanges, with no agreed premises or rules of engagement, even where not talking from ignorance, passionately advancing a particular viewpoint.

Peaching to the choir is one thing - evangelizing the rocks is another.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 7:12 pm

Philologos wrote:
I note that in this agora there are a many busily trying to convince the others of the error of their ways, or the righteousness of their own view.

There are a many jawing back and forth with rants and taunts and inadequately manipulated logic and dubious derivative data about the terrible things A is doing or the great things B could be doing and talking about rights and great wrongs defined and certified by God or the human spirit or Great Patham or Big Brother - quien sabe?

Wherefore? Let us say pandabear and Inuyasha - just for a change - are discussing what should Mr Obama do about the snail darter - and one of them ACTUALLY convinces the other with winged words of sweet reason.

Well, a miracle! Hey, I enjoy watching a miracle just as much as the next guy.

But - so big hairy deal. So Inuyasha and pandabear agree on the snail darter.

I know about the butterfly effect, but really, guys - how with even ALL Of us agreeing on the snail darter will it make ANY difference to the life of the snail darter, or Mr Obama's attitude to the snail darter?

I can just see it - BO comes onto podcast: "My fellow Americans, Inuyasha and pandabear are agreed, and I cannot but follow their benevolent leading. I therefore do hereby call upon Congress to put forward legislation on the snail darter question so that the right of snail darters to procreate shall not be infringed by local administrations."

Yeah, sure. I vote. Yes. Civic duty. And about as much inflence as buying a lottery ticket.

So - is it predetermined we gots to rabbit chicken, or is it we are called by God to do this like the prophet lying naked on his side, or do we just get a thrill out of futile bickering?

Anyone who is genuinely trying to convert people to their political beliefs on this forum is an idiot. It's more like a forum game to keep up your wits and it is good for keeping up on news and current events. Unlike some people, including some natural allies, I don't post exclusively in the news or politics forums. It would probably be good if more people here did visit the support forums more often, though they'd have to use (or learn) some etiquette, that is, unless they post in the "adult" forum. :lol:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 2:01 am

Sometimes the tide is too heavy to have it's course altered by the power one individual yields. We must ride them out and clean up afterwards. As long as we as individuals hold the power to change the guard I have no worries. That is the fight we're facing Philologos.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 8:28 am

cw10 wrote:
Sometimes the tide is too heavy to have it's course altered by the power one individual yields. We must ride them out and clean up afterwards. As long as we as individuals hold the power to change the guard I have no worries. That is the fight we're facing Philologos.

The power to change the guard? Planetary and human inertia - let alone the universe - are incalculable. As Dept head I instituted - not without hard swork - some changes that seriously improved the lot of the student and streamlined procedures.

Three months after I stepped down they were gone.

The attunement of prayer, yes, but ranting hereat most increases polarization.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 1:31 pm

Inuyasha and I were both thoroughly relieved when the cute little snail darter's status was reclassified from "endangered" to "threatened" on July 5, 1984.

Seriously. We were holding hands together, and actually came this close to kissing.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 11:39 pm

Philologos wrote:
cw10 wrote:

The power to change the guard? Planetary and human inertia - let alone the universe - are incalculable. As Dept head I instituted - not without hard swork - some changes that seriously improved the lot of the student and streamlined procedures.

Three months after I stepped down they were gone.

The attunement of prayer, yes, but ranting hereat most increases polarization.

Sounds like they changed the guard after you left.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 7:54 pm

Indeed...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3MiD_U4CHQ&feature=related[/youtube]

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 1:36 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Anyone who is genuinely trying to convert people to their political beliefs on this forum is an idiot. It's more like a forum game to keep up your wits and it is good for keeping up on news and current events. Unlike some people, including some natural allies, I don't post exclusively in the news or politics forums. It would probably be good if more people here did visit the support forums more often, though they'd have to use (or learn) some etiquette, that is, unless they post in the "adult" forum. :lol:

Speaking as someone who is most surely not one of your "natural allies," I couldn't have said it better myself.