Whost else thinks cremation should be banned?

Page 4 of 9 [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

HybridAP
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2011, 8:41 pm

I honestly always felt that burying people was rather pointless. The vessel has long since been burnt through, and placing it into a casket into the ground simply takes up space, especially when most people won't even know who you are in a few decades. I'd prefer the nutrients that are no longer mine to be used to help create more life than just sit around being useless.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 9:05 pm

There is nothing evil or satanic about cremation, but I find your choice of words very interesting. I think the way you see cremation has to do with religion. I would like to be cremated. I prefer that to be buried. I do not want to be buried in a piece of soil that can be used for something better than providing my relatives a burden: a place to visit once a year to clean it up, paint it, bring flowers, and maybe share a tear.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 11:24 pm

I think burial is wrong. It takes up so much space. Graveyards would be better if used to produce food or as a living space. People should be cremated the their ashes dispersed to the wind or mulched into fertalizer for a tree.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 11:37 pm

Cremation is fine and fun. Launched some of my mother's ashes in a model rocket, they spread out when the parachute popped open.

I want a "sky burial", leave my body intact on a mountain ledge somewhere so the animals can have it. I say intact because some sky burial ideals cut the body up and scatter it. Don't bother and fuss with mine, if I still wanted it I wouldn't have left it.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 11:41 pm

shrox wrote:
Cremation is fine and fun. Launched some of my mother's ashes in a model rocket, they spread out when the parachute popped open.

I want a "sky burial", leave my body intact on a mountain ledge somewhere so the animals can have it. I say intact because some sky burial ideals cut the body up and scatter it. Don't bother and fuss with mine, if I still wanted it I wouldn't have left it.

Don't worry if I ever come across your skull after the buzzards had their way with it I will make a sweet bong out of it.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 11:47 pm

Todesking wrote:
shrox wrote:

Don't worry if I ever come across your skull after the buzzards had their way with it I will make a sweet bong out of it.

My head has a few dents in it, you'll probably have to silicon the cracks over so it doesn't leak.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 12:05 am

I'm a New Orleanian, so when I die, I will be placed amidst the bones of my ancestors whose bodies will have been removed from their coffins to make room, and skattered on the floor of our above-ground grave (aka a semi-open stone box) that sits in the center of the city.

No worries about being trapped, no worries about burning alive and no worries about wasting space... I just sometimes worry about what floats in the water here when it floods.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 12:46 am

Hate to toss an old trope into this dark yet harmless topic BUT cremations are being looked at seriously and in depth as a major cause of mercury poisoning in the atmosphere thanks to dental amalgam. EPA has stringent laws and all crematoriums are required to retrofit chimneys with filters... the industry is looking hard at alternative methods of 'final repose'. One of the newest is a freeze drying process that allows for the reclimation of dental amalgams, promotes bio friendly decomposition while reducing a human body into a 6" square box of organic remains that can easily be spread safely in a garden at an extremely low cost.

I'm liking the new ideas! :) Organic and cheap for me.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 10:25 pm

I like how people are concerned about the dangers of burning dental amalgam, but not the dangers of -oh I don't know- putting mercury in people's mouths in the first place. lol

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 11:02 pm

How about having my dead body rigged with dynamite and blown up?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 11:13 pm

Fern wrote:
I like how people are concerned about the dangers of burning dental amalgam, but not the dangers of -oh I don't know- putting mercury in people's mouths in the first place. lol
Heh--It actually does make sense, however counter-intuitive it is. It's the temperatures in the furnace that are the problem; the mercury is nicely bound up in the amalgam at any temperature that won't kill you; but the temperatures in those furnaces are high enough to loosen the chemical bonds and let the mercury out. They have to be, to effectively burn the body.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2011, 12:56 am

I think the OP is pretty hilarious - cremation? Satanic? What? :lol:

If, during cremation, the corpse sits up and writhes - then it's because the funeral preparers didn't do their job properly. The tendons of a body should be cut before burning. Otherwise, once burning begins, the tendons will basically shorten as they burn up, giving the impression that the body is moving about.

Case in point - when Rasputin's body was burnt, it was described as attempting to get up. Which led to people thinking that Rasputin was some demon in disguise. The reality: they didn't cut his tendons.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 4:05 am

I never thought about cremation much. I wish when I die I can just evaporate into nothing. I don't want any remains. How cool it will be when a person just vanishes when they die, leaving no mess to clean up. Unfortunately as I'm no jedi that probably won't happen. :D I think scattered into the ocean is the next best option, then the ashes will turn into micro-nutrients which feed the algae, which in turn feed all sorts of fish and then up the food chain...etc. Completely recycled and green is my ideal. :D

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2011, 5:14 am

NorwichAspie wrote:
Does anyone else on this forum think that cremation is an evil satanic practice and should be banned outright? I am 35 years of age and have had this view since i was 8 years old. I just think it is a truly horrible thing to do the dead. Has anyone seen the pictures on the net of what it actually looks like when a body is being burnt, it is really frightening. I have had nightmares about it since i was 14. If anyone else feels the same way please leave a reply.

There are FAR too many interfering busy bodies around telling others what they should do or not do. If somebody wants to be cremated others should respect that wish and mind their own business.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 10:23 am

y-pod wrote:
I think scattered into the ocean is the next best option, then the ashes will turn into micro-nutrients which feed the algae, which in turn feed all sorts of fish and then up the food chain...etc. Completely recycled and green is my ideal. :D

That's what we did with my father-in-law. He was cremated, then we had a little mass for the family members, and after that we took a boat ride to a near inhabited island and scatter the ashes into the ocean. It was by the end of the day, and with the sunset and everything it was actually very pretty.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Sep 2011, 11:24 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I wish to be burried when I die. Cremation reminds me of the people who were burned in the ovens during the Holocaust.

I have a great respect for those who survived (and for those who were not survivors) in the Holocaust, and I see your point.... But with that said, would it also remind us of the Holocaust to board a train? I think what I'm saying, is that many things in life can remind us of other things; both good and evil.

Charles