Yeah! 19%  19%  [ 16 ]
Nah... 74%  74%  [ 62 ]
I don't care 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 84

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 9:50 pm

I think that adultery should be illegal. I don't think it should carry the death penalty or anything close to it (like some countries) but I find that it is really irresponsible of a spouse to be doing something like that. I mean, whats the point of saying your vows and getting married if you're just going to give in to your urges and have sex/affair with anyone whenever you want? It also shows a sign of total mistrust and can potentially hurt the other spouse really hard, emotionally speaking.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 9:53 pm

Making it illegal would just be stupid.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 9:54 pm

jc6chan wrote:
I think that adultery should be illegal. I don't think it should carry the death penalty or anything close to it (like some countries) but I find that it is really irresponsible of a spouse to be doing something like that. I mean, whats the point of saying your vows and getting married if you're just going to give in to your urges and have sex/affair with anyone whenever you want? It also shows a sign of total mistrust and can potentially hurt the other spouse really hard, emotionally speaking.

Adultery is a breach of contract. It should be up to the individual parties if they wish to cancel their contractual agreement on the basis of adultery.

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2010, 10:11 pm

What adifferentname said.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 10:50 pm

No. How would you ever enforce it anyway? Crappy idea.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 10:54 pm

adifferentname wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

Adultery is a breach of contract. It should be up to the individual parties if they wish to cancel their contractual agreement on the basis of adultery.

But why should the person who commits adultery be free of any blame? They made a commitment to be faithful to the spouse.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 10:56 pm

Fuzzy wrote:

Many laws are hard to enforce. Just because its hard to enforce doesn't mean that the law should not be implemented. I'm sure that many would get away with the "crime" but there would probably be many people who would report their spouse once they find out.

Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 11:01 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

Many laws are hard to enforce. Just because its hard to enforce doesn't mean that the law should not be implemented. I'm sure that many would get away with the "crime" but there would probably be many people who would report their spouse once they find out.

Maybe you should be arguing for the reintroduction of fault divorce. On that topic I am a little more sympathetic. I think personally that illegal adultery has been totally discredited by the states that still practice it.

Was not spoken of the soul.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 11:05 pm

jc6chan wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

But why should the person who commits adultery be free of any blame? They made a commitment to be faithful to the spouse.

They also made vows to love, honour, and in some cases obey. Should failing to love your partner be made illegal too? In my view that's a far more serious issue than a simple act of physical gratification. Should those who fail to obey their husbands due to archaic terminology be subject to legal action?

Nobody is stating that an adulterer is free of blame. Hence the grounds for a breach of contract. Proof of infidelity is sufficient grounds for a divorce, which may or may not be the correct outcome for the couple involved.

More to the point, we have the right to do with our bodies as we please. Enforcing fidelity would be tantamount to slavery. One should have the right to choose to remain faithful, and risk the consequences of losing ones partner should one choose to stray.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 11:09 pm

I'm monogamous and never cheated on anyone but I would definitely be against such a law.

- I don't want my personal/intimate life "regulated" by the state - private life should stay private

- I'm against giving people the possibility to use the justice system to get revenge

- Adultery is not a public issue

- Some couples prefer an open relationship and they should be free to choose what suits them best

And so on, TBH I find the whole idea ridiculous.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Nov 2010, 12:06 am

No. The government has no place in our bedroom.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 12:48 am

Jacoby wrote:
No. The government has no place in our bedroom.

I and Jacoby agree.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 1:48 am

jc6chan wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

Again, no. Real Christians hang tightly to the concept of free will because without free will, without free action, without freedom to sin, you are not free to choose salvation.

You seek to abrogate those things. Thus your idea reveals something profound about you, and I dont like it. I doubt Christians do either.

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2010, 3:37 am

No. As others have said, it's difficult to control anyway, and it's really something that should be left up to the individuals, not the government.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 3:40 am

Human beings aren't mean't to settle down with one person in a marriage.

The one clear concise angle to partnership would have started occuring in the caveman days, when a man and a women got together and any male butting in would be killed. If the partner was killed by the new suitor, then he would be with the women. Of course, he then might be subjected to a battle for the heart of the female by another suitor.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 4:25 am

jc6chan wrote:

I think they get a fitting punishment already- loosing their spouse's love and trust.