Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 12:26 pm

I was recently asked to explain why I am not a Catholic. My response grew and grew, and so I decided to just start this thread with it.

Well, among the biggest reasons are the following.

I find wholly unscriptural their promotion of Mary to "co-redemptrix", so that Jesus AND Mary save us from our sins -- even though Jesus was God, and He died for our sins, and no mention is given in Scripture of Mary playing a part in that redemption. Jesus' Father is clearly mentioned in several scriptures as being God, while Mary is never given a status beyond that of any human true servant of God, nor is she ever depicted in the Bible in anywhere near the very high way in which she is depicted by the Catholic Church. She was honored to give birth to the Messiah, and the bestowing of that honor was not something earned -- who could earn such an incredible thing, when the Bible says that even our righteousness is as filthy rags in God's sight? (Is 64:6 "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.") Also, Jer 17:9 -- "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?" The Bible is clear throughout that man's goodness amounts to little at best, and is far outshadowed by his evil.

And this problem with unscriptural human deity doesn't end there, by any means. There is praying to the dead, as well. Again, Scripture is clear that we are to pray to God, and that God is a very "jealous God" (mentioned six times in the Bible). Also, prayer to the dead is expressly forbidden (Deut 18:10-12 -- "Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD; because of these same detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you.")

Also, works-based salvation is taught, yet Eph 2:8-9 says "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast." And Gal 3:13-14 says, "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: 'Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.' He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit." Yet, salvation is taught by the Catholic Church to be re-lost and re-gained umpteen times by the works of the sinner. Futher on that same point, "vain repetitions" (such as 20 "Hail Marys" / "Our Fathers") are told us by Christ to avoid (Matt 6:7 "But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking"), yet these are prescribed under the Catholic Church.

The pope also dispenses God's grace in Catholicism. Again, Scripture is clear that we pray to God directly, and from Him directly we receive forgiveness and salvation, due solely to Jesus' ultimate sacrifice on the cross.

Also, 1 Peter 3:18 says, "For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit." Yet, in the eucharist, Christ is said to die again each time.

There's also "And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven" (Matt 23:9).

I also take issue with the Crusades and the Inquisition, as well as with the Catholic Church's multi-century record of hatred of God's Chosen People, the Jews, all the way through the Nazi era, where they sat idly by while millions were slaughtered.

But I know of many admirable Catholics, whom I have no doubt whatsoever are Saved -- and therefore Saved Scripturally, which is through Christ's Grace alone. Sean Hannity is my favorite Catholic -- and when one listens to him talk about his faith, it is clear that he is a Christian who, in his actual beliefs, is not really Catholic. It's the system he's in, and he doesn't want to go through the bother of merely changing that label. I have seen him chafe, though, at the thought of the Pope supposedly being over him in authority.

However, as briefly touched on above, the leadership of the Catholic Church is deliberately perverse in its reading of Scripture.

Last edited by Ragtime on 26 Oct 2011, 12:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 12:32 pm

and the Catholic Church promotes Idolatry, namely as OP mentioned Mary and the Holy Cross, and Idolatry is one of the worst sins a Christian can commit

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 1:41 pm

I have friends who are Catholic, and while I don't agree with all their theology, I still consider them to to Christians.
My favorite Catholic, though, is Michael Moore, as his love and concern for those without, and his fight for their interest as his response to God's grace, is very exemplary of Christianity in general.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 1:47 pm

The Catholic Church also started the crusades but I am a Methodist the only thing I have to say about Catholics is that I refuse to believe that the pope can take away a man's sin.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 1:57 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I have friends who are Catholic, and while I don't agree with all their theology, I still consider them to to Christians.
My favorite Catholic, though, is Michael Moore, as his love and concern for those without, and his fight for their interest as his response to God's grace, is very exemplary of Christianity in general.

Michael Moore is worth around $50 million, even though he chooses to dress like a bum. So as a humanitarian, his "love and concern for those without" comes up a bit short, especially when you consider that a) he claims to be against capitalism and for spreading the wealth around (how about his wealth? Lead by example!), and that b) he made his millions as a capitalist.

So he's a rich fat cat who has love and concern for those without.

He has $49+ million more than he needs to survive, while others he could help are dying of hunger. So he's easily on the greedy side of the greedy/giving scale.

Quote:
Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!” The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Mark 10:23-25

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 2:08 pm

TheKing wrote:
and the Catholic Church promotes Idolatry, namely as OP mentioned Mary and the Holy Cross, and Idolatry is one of the worst sins a Christian can commit

Some fundamentalist Christians (who are among the most vocal critics of the Roman Catholics) commit a form of idolatry themselves in the way they regard the Bible. It's easy to recognize an idol when it is made of stone or wood, but thoughts or ideas can also be idols. When one treats a book (such as the Bible) as an idol it is called bibliolatry. This caused a schism among Southern Baptists in the recent past.

Catholics regard tradition as another means of transmission of holy teachings, as opposed to some other Christian sects who insist the Bible is the only source. And while some practices of some ordinary Catholics may go against specific teachings of the Bible, in many cases those are not the official position of their Church but only those people's understanding of it. Some of the mystical theology of Catholicism is quite deep and resonates with the mystical theology of other traditions such as Buddhism, which to me shows there might be something to it.

As for one sect of Christians dissing other sects, I see it as the pot calling the kettle black.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 2:15 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Michael Moore is worth around $50 million, even though he chooses to dress like a bum. So as a humanitarian, his "love and concern for those without" comes up a bit short, especially when you consider that a) he claims to be against capitalism and for spreading the wealth around (how about his wealth? Lead by example!), and that b) he made his millions as a capitalist.

He has $49+ million more than he needs to survive, while others he could help are dying of hunger. So he's easily on the greedy side of the greedy/giving scale.

Quote:
Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!” The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Michael Moore in fact uses his money to help the disadvantaged. That's the whole point of his documentaries, which in fact have drawn attention to the needs of the poor, the under insured, downsized workers, etc. And now, he's lending his support to the Occupy Wall Street movement, speaking up for the 99% who have been left adrift by unregulated capitalism.
And when has Sean Hannity ever cared about those without? As I recall, he and the rest of Fox noise is on this kick so popular among conservatives these days, that if you complain about social and economic inequities between the super rich an the rest of us, you're engaging in class warfare against the poor, poor rich!

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 2:34 pm

Ragtime wrote:
I also take issue with the Crusades and the Inquisition, as well as with the Catholic Church's multi-century record of hatred of God's Chosen People, the Jews, all the way through the Nazi era, where they sat idly by while millions were slaughtered.

Martin Luther was one of the most virulent anti-Semites in Christian history. I also take offense because numerous evangelicals only like the Jews as part of a plan for Armageddon.

You mean while 6 million Jews were slaughtered? Around, 11 million total people were killed, but for some reason I have a problem believing you thought about the Communists, gays, Roma, and even other Catholics who converted from Judaism dying. I think you and the Catholic hierarchy are in unison on this one concerning your thoughts on those people.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 2:55 pm

Ragtime wrote:
I was recently asked to explain why I am not a Catholic. My response grew and grew, and so I decided to just start this thread with it.

Well, among the biggest reasons are the following.

I find wholly unscriptural their promotion of Mary to "co-redemptrix", so that Jesus AND Mary save us from our sins -- even though Jesus was God, and He died for our sins, and no mention is given in Scripture of Mary playing a part in that redemption. Jesus' Father is clearly mentioned in several scriptures as being God, while Mary is never given a status beyond that of any human true servant of God, nor is she ever depicted in the Bible in anywhere near the very high way in which she is depicted by the Catholic Church. She was honored to give birth to the Messiah, and the bestowing of that honor was not something earned -- who could earn such an incredible thing, when the Bible says that even our righteousness is as filthy rags in God's sight? (Is 64:6 "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.") Also, Jer 17:9 -- "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?" The Bible is clear throughout that man's goodness amounts to little at best, and is far outshadowed by his evil.

Have you read the Bible? Mary clearly plays a part in our redemption as without her, Jesus couldn't have come into the world. He could have picked someone else, but then that person would have part in redemption and she would have that honor. We honor Mary because we are called to imitate Christ and he honored her. We honor Mary because she is our spiritual mother made so by Jesus himself while he was on the cross. We ask her to intercede for us as she did during the wedding at Cana.

Quote:
And this problem with unscriptural human deity doesn't end there, by any means. There is praying to the dead, as well. Again, Scripture is clear that we are to pray to God, and that God is a very "jealous God" (mentioned six times in the Bible). Also, prayer to the dead is expressly forbidden (Deut 18:10-12 -- "Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD; because of these same detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you.")

Catholics do not pray to the dead. We ask them to pray for us just as we ask anyone else to pray for us. All prayers are directed to God. No true Catholic believes that a saint or Mary can answer prayers on their own. It all comes from God.

Quote:
Also, works-based salvation is taught, yet Eph 2:8-9 says "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast." And Gal 3:13-14 says, "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: 'Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.' He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit." Yet, salvation is taught by the Catholic Church to be re-lost and re-gained umpteen times by the works of the sinner. Futher on that same point, "vain repetitions" (such as 20 "Hail Marys" / "Our Fathers") are told us by Christ to avoid (Matt 6:7 "But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking"), yet these are prescribed under the Catholic Church.

The Catholic Church has never taught such a doctrine and, in fact, has constantly condemned the notion that men can earn or merit salvation. Catholic soteriology (salvation theology) is rooted in apostolic Tradition and Scripture and says that it is only by God's grace--completely unmerited by works--that one is saved.

The Church teaches that it's God's grace from beginning to end which justifies, sanctifies, and saves us. As Paul explains in Philippians 2:13, "God is the one, who, for his good purpose, works in you both to desire and to work."

Notice that Paul's words presuppose that the faithful Christian is not just desiring to be righteous, but is actively working toward it. This is the second half of the justification equation, and Protestants either miss or ignore it.

James 2:17 reminds us that "faith of itself, if it does not have work, is dead." In verse 24 James says, "See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone." And later: "For just as a body without a spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead" (2:26).

The Council of Trent harmonizes the necessity of grace and works: "If anyone says that man can be justified before God by his own works, whether done by his own natural powers or by the teaching of the Law, without divine grace through Jesus Christ, let him be anathema" (Session 6; can. 1).

The Council fathers continued by saying, "If anyone says that the sinner is justified by faith alone, meaning that nothing else is required to cooperate in order to obtain the grace of justification and that it is not in any way necessary that he be prepared and disposed by the action of his own will, let him be anathema" (Session 6: can. 9).

By the way, "let him be anathema" means "let him be excommunicated," not "let him be cursed to hell." The phrase was used in conciliar documents in a technical, theological sense, not in the same sense as the word "anathema" is found in Scripture. Don't let "Bible Christians" throw you for a loop on this one.

So, far from teaching a doctrine of "works righteousness" (that would be Pelagianism, which was condemned at the Council of Carthage in A.D. 418), the Catholic Church teaches the true, biblical doctrine of justification.

Quote:
The pope also dispenses God's grace in Catholicism. Again, Scripture is clear that we pray to God directly, and from Him directly we receive forgiveness and salvation, due solely to Jesus' ultimate sacrifice on the cross.

The pope does not dispense God's grace. Only God can dispense grace.

Quote:
Also, 1 Peter 3:18 says, "For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit." Yet, in the eucharist, Christ is said to die again each time.

This is not true either. Jesus only died a single time. Each Eucharistic sacrifice is done in union with Jesus' death on the cross.

Quote:
There's also "And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven" (Matt 23:9).

Jesus criticized Jewish leaders who love "the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues, and salutations in the market places, and being called ‘rabbi’ by men" (Matt. 23:6–7). His admonition here is a response to the Pharisees’ proud hearts and their g.asping after marks of status and prestige.

He was using hyperbole (exaggeration to make a point) to show the scribes and Pharisees how sinful and proud they were for not looking humbly to God as the source of all authority and fatherhood and teaching, and instead setting themselves up as the ultimate authorities, father figures, and teachers.

Christ used hyperbole often, for example when he declared, "If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and throw it away; it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell" (Matt. 5:29, cf. 18:9; Mark 9:47). Christ certainly did not intend this to be applied literally, for otherwise all Christians would be blind amputees! (cf. 1 John 1:8; 1 Tim. 1:15). We are all subject to "the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life" (1 John 2:16).

Since Jesus is demonstrably using hyperbole when he says not to call anyone our father—else we would not be able to refer to our earthly fathers as such—we must read his words carefully and with sensitivity to the presence of hyperbole if we wish to understand what he is saying.

Quote:

The crusades were a defensive action taken against Muslim aggression. Granted, some bad things did happen, but no one in the church is perfect. Same with the Inquisition. The Inquisition was mainly carried out by European kings and royalty and not the church itself. As to the charges of WW2, Pope Pius XII is credited with saving the lives of hundreds of thousands of Jews.

Quote:
However, as briefly touched on above, the leadership of the Catholic Church is deliberately perverse in its reading of Scripture.

Actually, the Catholic Church is the only source that has the true reading of Scripture. We have the history and tradition to go with it to make sure it is understood in the proper context.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 3:00 pm

Bataar, while I question if Pius XII actually did that, I am apologizing to you. This hate thread was started by my sayings on another thread and I did not intend for this to happen, and I did not expect to happen. I am sorry you saw this.

As an atheist, religious intolerance by any branch is despicable. In the real world, Christians have to worry more about this petty infighting than people like me, since I believe I am just some animal whose purpose is to advance the species and make it prosper. While I might be a hypocrite sometimes in this, I try not to be.

Last edited by HerrGrimm on 26 Oct 2011, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 3:03 pm

A Xtian forum would be completely peaceful.

I defend the Catholics thus all religiosity is ridiculous and the Catholics are no worse than an other
and since in my experience they are less annoying than Protestants and Evangelicals I like them more.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 3:22 pm

My problem with the Church is that it keeps people down. I don't like its attitude to contraception and its idealisation of poverty in impoverished countries. Yes, I do know of Liberation Theology in Latin American, but in places like Ireland and Portugal, the church has kept people down and continues to do so with its attitude to contraception and the resulting huge families (a particular problem in the Philippines). Portugal under Salazar is not a place I would've liked to have been a woman.

When I was a Christian, after I escaped the Catholicism I was raised in, I generally agreed with Protestant theology more. Now that I'm an atheist, doctrine doesn't matter to me as much as what impact the Church has on the world.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 4:32 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Quote:

Michael Moore in fact uses his money to help the disadvantaged. That's the whole point of his documentaries, which in fact have drawn attention to the needs of the poor, the under insured, downsized workers, etc. And now, he's lending his support to the Occupy Wall Street movement, speaking up for the 99% who have been left adrift by unregulated capitalism.
And when has Sean Hannity ever cared about those without? As I recall, he and the rest of Fox noise is on this kick so popular among conservatives these days, that if you complain about social and economic inequities between the super rich an the rest of us, you're engaging in class warfare against the poor, poor rich!

Hannity cares about defeating Obama, under whom black unemployment has increased to its highest level ever (16.7%). Also, by every metric you care to name, Obama has destroyed the economy. Protestors shouting at rich executives doesn't do anything, and Obama knows it. He still gets the huge campaign contributions from the very same rich corporations these OWS people he claims to support are protesting! He likes a good rabble, so he keeps stoking it on. Again, HE is the PRESIDENT. HIS policies have hurt these people who are protesting, along with the rest of America. So WHY aren't they protesting HIM?
Call in to Hannity's radio program sometimes. Lemme know when, I'd love to hear it.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 4:41 pm

Bataar wrote:
Have you read the Bible?

Yes. The whole thing twice, and certain books about 30 times. Thanks for your interest.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 4:51 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Quote:

Hannity cares about defeating Obama, under whom black unemployment has increased to its highest level ever (16.7%). Also, by every metric you care to name, Obama has destroyed the economy. Protestors shouting at rich executives doesn't do anything, and Obama knows it. He still gets the huge campaign contributions from the very same rich corporations these OWS people he claims to support are protesting! He likes a good rabble, so he keeps stoking it on. Again, HE is the PRESIDENT. HIS policies have hurt these people who are protesting, along with the rest of America. So WHY aren't they protesting HIM?
Call in to Hannity's radio program sometimes. Lemme know when, I'd love to hear it.

There is no way that I would call that Papist. :lol:

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 5:04 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Quote:

There is no way that I would call that Papist. :lol:

Probably cause he would mop the floor with you.

Fact is, the blame Bush thing has gotten old and people don't believe it anymore, so now he's blaming the rich and Republicans.

Well this didn't help FDR in an offyear election back in the 30s, in fact it backfired and actually saved the Republican party whom picked up quite a few house and senate seats because people were afraid FDR was trying to become another dictator.