Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 8:46 am

That was one of the best interviews I've seen of Cain so far. He's so AUTHENTIC, the way he answers questions and explains himself.

It's a sad place we've gotten to when we have to ask, "Isn't there something wrong with a regular guy becoming president?"
We're SO used to polished politicians, that many of us have developed withdrawal symptoms when we see a normal citizen running for office. But the interview was like a private conservation, that low-key and natural, whereas most interviewees these days use stilted language and come off phony in their demeanor, as if they are acting.

Do we really want another practiced and coy politician who gives vague, safe answers to urgent national questions at this dire time in our country when we absolutely NEED honesty from our future president in order not to fail as a nation? Do we really want another elitist who looks down on the rest of us? The American president is supposed to be the people's chief representative in government. Therefore, I think he shouldn't seem to be, or act, like some kind of demigod that does whatever he pleases, but rather he should be like us, aligning with this sentiment: And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44). He should consider himself a mere man, on the people's level. Otherwise, he's useless to us, and even a danger. (I would say "he or she", but I don't like Bachmann's chances so far, even though I like her.)

If you didn't see the interview, it's available at Foxnews.com for free under "Video", "Hannity".

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 9:30 am

Although the polls show Cain in the lead the folks at intrade are not at all convinced
they give him a 7.8% chance to Romney's 68.1% I think the 9 9 9 guy is a flash in the
pan (this cycle at least)

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

number5
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 10:45 am

Best campaign ad, ever. (yes, it's real)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhm-22Q0PuM[/youtube]

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 11:58 am

number5 wrote:

What I like is it's no b.s. As Cain explained, Mark doesn't even pretend he doesn't smoke!

But, some people prefer millions of dollars to be spent on high production values aimed at emotional manipulation of the audience toward the candidate. But if I want that, I go see a movie. But when learning something important to my future, the less b.s. manipulation involved the better.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 12:21 pm

I just like the ad for entertainment value. I don't support Cain. His plans are foolish and he's one heck of a double-talker. There's nothing authentic about him. He's against abortion, but he doesn't approve of government intervention. He says electrocuting the fence is a just a joke, but he's also not backing down from that idea. He wants to impose a federal sales tax, but claims somehow total tax on sales won't go up (or at least he's not responsible for the oranges). And don't kid yourself, he's spending millions on campaigning just like the rest of them.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 2:44 pm

I think he's a great candidate, and I'd like to see him get the nomination, after he finishes tweaking his tax plan into the best it can be for us, and of course studying and talking with his experts in preparation. I guess you like Obama, right? Not necessarily, I know, but I'm just assuming.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 2:53 pm

number5 wrote:

Watch it closely Mark has a tell. He shakes his head no whenever he say any thing about Cain
Weird.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

number5
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 6:43 pm

Ragtime wrote:
I think he's a great candidate, and I'd like to see him get the nomination, after he finishes tweaking his tax plan into the best it can be for us, and of course studying and talking with his experts in preparation. I guess you like Obama, right? Not necessarily, I know, but I'm just assuming.

Like is a strong word. Maybe just don't completely loathe? :P

I'm a bit mixed on Obama. Depends on the day I guess. Overall, there's much room for improvement there.

The thing I dislike most about Cain is his affinity for simplicity. Simple can be good, when the problem warrants such solutions. But running a country is a rather complex undertaking and very different from running a business. 9-9-9 is a great promotional idea. He's working on the marketing campaign and sales figures. He could probably sell a lot of pizzas with a rollout like that. But it does not translate to public economic policy. This whole notion of 'everyone's got to have some skin in the game' is completely faulty. How is an elderly person living on a fixed income of $12K/year supposed to afford a 9% annual tax bill? Or a low income family whose entire income goes to food, housing, and transportation? This idea would literally take food off of the table for millions of Americans.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

27 Oct 2011, 7:37 pm

number5 wrote:

lol

I agree tho, I like Herman Cain purely for entertainment purposes but the fact that he's being taken seriously at all is pretty telling about the intelligence of a certain percentage of America

Authentic is about as far away from a description of what Herman Cain is as possible. He pretends to be some outsider pizza man but in reality the last 20 years of his life he's been a restaurant/fast food lobbyist, Chairman the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, and a near perennial candidate for office.(ran for president in 2000, senate in 2006, and now this run. The guy is pretty 100% dumbed down catchphrases. Don't mistake stupidity with "authenticity" please. His tax plan sucks btw.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 12:35 am

i was supporting cain when his poll number was at 4%. i knew he has great qualities that the GOP would later come to appreciate, and i'm right.

one thing cain did that the other candidates did not do was put out a specific plan early on.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 1:19 am

minervx wrote:
i was supporting cain when his poll number was at 4%. i knew he has great qualities that the GOP would later come to appreciate, and i'm right.

one thing cain did that the other candidates did not do was put out a specific plan early on.
My current idea of a good GOP ticket is Gingrich/Cain or Cain/Gingrich.

I'd prefer Gingrich/Cain, because Gingrich would be better able to mop the floor with Obama in a debate, and have the moderator lose their composure on national tv, which is an added bonus.

Either one of them could beat Biden in a debate.

I think Gingrich has more knowledge of how to get things through congress and seeing unintended consequences on things than Herman Cain, but I think Cain is very good at coming up with good ideas. The two have worked with each other in the past too so it wouldn't be a situation like Romney & Perry whom hate each other.

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 1:49 am

Ragtime wrote:
That was one of the best interviews I've seen of Cain so far. He's so AUTHENTIC, the way he answers questions and explains himself.

It's a sad place we've gotten to when we have to ask, "Isn't there something wrong with a regular guy becoming president?"
We're SO used to polished politicians, that many of us have developed withdrawal symptoms when we see a normal citizen running for office. But the interview was like a private conservation, that low-key and natural, whereas most interviewees these days use stilted language and come off phony in their demeanor, as if they are acting.

Do we really want another practiced and coy politician who gives vague, safe answers to urgent national questions at this dire time in our country when we absolutely NEED honesty from our future president in order not to fail as a nation? Do we really want another elitist who looks down on the rest of us? The American president is supposed to be the people's chief representative in government. Therefore, I think he shouldn't seem to be, or act, like some kind of demigod that does whatever he pleases, but rather he should be like us, aligning with this sentiment: And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44). He should consider himself a mere man, on the people's level. Otherwise, he's useless to us, and even a danger. (I would say "he or she", but I don't like Bachmann's chances so far, even though I like her.)

If you didn't see the interview, it's available at Foxnews.com for free under "Video", "Hannity".

Ragtime wrote:
I've chosen to assume that LjosalfrBlot's and LKL's error is already apparent to all -- that any comparison of God's rights to human rights is going to be flawed from the start. Why they think this makes no sense I cannot tell.

For a Motivational Speaker in with The Godfather's Pizza Corporation, I'm sure Ragtime's God endorsement certifies Authenticity & "chiefest" Points for the Yes-No-Maybe-No CAIN Plan for the mirror reflection of 666 and the Devil's Quoting Scripture.

But will the Spokesman for Ragtime's God alienate the God's Rights to any humble mortal speaking for the God to represent any mere human rights? Why any God would do so makes no sense and is flawed from the start, so no 999 from that God.

Tadzio

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 8:19 am

number5 wrote:
I'm a bit mixed on Obama. Depends on the day I guess. Overall, there's much room for improvement there.

When you've sat in Jeremiah Wright's church for 20 years, you actually do need to prove that you're not a racist against whites and Jews, not to mention "God-DAAAMN-Amercia! God-DAAAMN-America" unpatriotic. (The bold and italics reflect the way Wright inflected that phrase as he screamed it into the microphone to his cheering church.)
Also, if you've less business experience than a janitor, the presidency of a large capitalist country may not be a good fit for you. (Check the misery index lately? -- which is the employment rate added to the inflation rate.)

At least Cain has worked in industry, the military, and the Fed before. In experience, Obama is nothing but a career politician with a God complex, who has some strange dictatorial attraction to issuing fiat "executive orders" on everything, big and small, that he can. He clearly doesn't agree with the Constitution (which he swore his oath to uphold), and he doesn't like democracy, which is why he tries to ramrod every little thing he wants through, instead of taking the public's will into account through polling, etc. Oh, he polls, but he uses the data to learn how he can better manipulate the people -- which catchphrases to use (i.e. saying "corporate jets" about six times in one speech), not to learn how to better enact their will.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 8:59 am

Ragtime wrote:
number5 wrote:

When you've sat in Jeremiah Wright's church for 20 years, you actually do need to prove that you're not a racist against whites and Jews, not to mention "God-DAAAMN-Amercia! God-DAAAMN-America" unpatriotic. (The bold and italics reflect the way Wright inflected that phrase as he screamed it into the microphone to his cheering church.)
Also, if you've less business experience than a janitor, the presidency of a large capitalist country may not be a good fit for you. (Check the misery index lately? -- which is the employment rate added to the inflation rate.)

At least Cain has worked in industry, the military, and the Fed before. In experience, Obama is nothing but a career politician with a God complex, who has some strange dictatorial attraction to issuing fiat "executive orders" on everything, big and small, that he can. He clearly doesn't agree with the Constitution (which he swore his oath to uphold), and he doesn't like democracy, which is why he tries to ramrod every little thing he wants through, instead of taking the public's will into account through polling, etc. Oh, he polls, but he uses the data to learn how he can better manipulate the people -- which catchphrases to use (i.e. saying "corporate jets" about six times in one speech), not to learn how to better enact their will.

I thought this was a Cain thread. If you feel so strongly against Obama, then it would be in your best interest to support a candidate with an actual chance of beating him. Cain's not it. With quotes like, "If you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself," and ideas like electrocuted fences and imposing a national sales tax, he doesn't stand a chance in a general election.

I have not heard a single good idea from Cain. Not one. I don't get why anyone supports his candidacy. Am I missing something?

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 9:14 am

number5 wrote:
I have not heard a single good idea from Cain. Not one. I don't get why anyone supports his candidacy. Am I missing something?

Maybe it's not that you're missing something, as much as it is you just don't like the guy. When you consider the rest of the world, and their employment opportunities, wages, working conditions, and the relative inability of moving up to whatever salary, position, and "class" you want (as many countried have class systems), then it is a general truth in America that if you have less than you want, chances are it's a personal motivation issue. Are their exceptions in America? Of course there are. Is a person required to mention exceptions when making general statements? No. That would make every statement a needlessly tedious one. Cain's strength to counter any verbal missteps is that he comes back later to clarify when people haven't understood his meaning. I think you're just too used to polishedness in politicians, and you're irked by real, down-to-earth people wishing to run for high office. But that is actually what the American presidency was intended to be; our founders didn't forsake and then battle England just to set up another elitist monarchy like the one they had come from. America is about the people first and foremost, which makes it different than the vast majority of other countries.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 9:29 am

Ragtime wrote:
number5 wrote:

Maybe it's not that you're missing something, as much as it is you just don't like the guy. When you consider the rest of the world, and their employment opportunities, wages, working conditions, and the relative inability of moving up to whatever salary, position, and "class" you want (as many countried have class systems), then it is a general truth in America that if you have less than you want, chances are it's a personal motivation issue. Are their exceptions in America? Of course there are. Is a person required to mention exceptions when making general statements? No. That would make every statement a needlessly tedious one. Cain's strength to counter any verbal missteps is that he comes back later to clarify when people haven't understood his meaning. I think you're just too used to polishedness in politicians, and you're irked by real, down-to-earth people wishing to run for high office. But that is actually what the American presidency was intended to be; our founders didn't forsake and then battle England just to set up another elitist monarchy like the one they had come from. America is about the people first and foremost, which makes it different than the vast majority of other countries.

So that's it? No actual good ideas, just he's down-to-earth? Nope, that don't cut it for me. I'm looking for intelligence, leadership, compassion, integrity, and exceptionalism. I want a leader whose priorities are closely related to my own. To borrow a line from a very wise (but annoying) woman, Suze Orman, "People first, then money, then things." I'm done with this One nation under money bullsh*t. I don't want to join the race to the bottom. I'm tired of seeing my neighbors suffer. We've boarded up enough houses. It's true that you're only as strong as your weakest link and we've got more than a few weak links to fix.