attempt at a philosophical statement on our view of reality

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

hypermind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2006, 4:52 am

yeah someone else mentioned something similar but i cant find the topic with the utter crap search engine (no phrases, no all in one post nothing, crappy useless feature)

its still very rough i made it up in a few seconds, and also editted somewhat:

we decided what to name north and what south. we measure time in ours and minutes. such things dont actually exist but we deem them trueth. 80 degree celcius we call hot, but on the scale, thats nearly at the bottom, this isnt hot. thirty years is a very long time, that is our trueth, but to the earth, or dare i, the universe, a thousend years is but a moment.
we class things in degrees that do not exist, and we classify them by comparison to what we are used to in our petty little world, and this we deem treuth, though in reality it is far from.
in similar fashion, we deem money valuable, we deem posessions importend, we deem duties our contribute to the world, we call justice a good, we believe appearences to matter, we deem attitude a class of character, we call modern technology progress etc.
and by extention, we deem our materialistic technological “sociaty” the real world, and nature something for us to use to our benifit.

so what you think?

Last edited by hypermind on 09 Oct 2006, 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 8:19 am

Quality is how it makes you feel.

You might like reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Its not an easy read. It was on the best seller list over 20 yrs ago and is still good.

hypermind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2006, 2:10 am

motorcycle maintenace?

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 6:43 am

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert Pursig.

Its not about motorcycle maintenance, but discusses it in an illustration of philosophy. Its about him thinking of his life (and mental illness) and search for meaning, while riding a motorcyle accross the USA with his son.

hypermind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2006, 12:29 am

metaphorical right?
sounds interesting, ill look into it.

iv also distilled this smaller version
no matter how much we put ourselfs on pedistals and distinct ourselfs from the rest of nature, and view us as the center of existence, we are but a single species of organisms on a tiny water planet at a random location in the universe and lost to its vastness like a grain of sand in the desert. in reality, we are all but nothing