Dec 1st, recruiting people for the war on Christmas.

Page 8 of 15 [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 8:32 pm

I have read a ton of mythology book in my day and none of them mentioned rabbits being used as fertility symbols by pagan cultures. Not saying it isn't possible, just saying I've never seen it. And if "Easter" is indeed a corruption of "Ishtar", who you may remember as the ancient mesopotamian "goddess" who was powerless to prevent a lonely shepherd boy from raping her, then please connect Ishtar with rabbits, eggs, and a spring festival.

I always assumed that eggs are associated with Easter because they are a symbol for new life. Pagan cultures have used eggs as a symbol for new life, but that in of itself doesn't make them a pagan symbol. Using the olive branch as a symbol for peace doesn't make sense without the Greek myth of the naming of Athens. This makes olive branch = peace a pagan symbol. The cross as a symbol of salvation makes absolutely zero sense without the Christian account of Jesus's resurrection. Thus cross = salvation is a Christian symbol. Eggs as a symbol for new life makes sense without any pagan myths, thus eggs = new life is not a pagan symbol. It is just a symbol.

but Vexcalibur's wikipedia article gives another, purely Christian reason of how they could have been associated with the holiday.

Vexcalibur: I read the wikipedia article you linked to. It had a lot of information about how rabbits and eggs could have become associated with Easter via purely Christian symbolism, but the only mention of them as pagan fertility symbols cited no references.

The evidence that it is a Christian holiday is that, last time I checked, it is always celebrated on the closest sunday to when Jesus rose from the dead, and there isn't any evidence of a holiday like it celebrated at that time before Christianity.

at least, last time I checked. If you have evidence to the contrary please present it.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:02 pm

search for yule,

ostara,

ishtar

and about 50 other names, it isnt excactly hard to find and it took me 5 seconds using google and the sentence "easter tradition paegan."

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:14 pm

Tensu wrote:
I have read a ton of mythology book in my day and none of them mentioned rabbits being used as fertility symbols by pagan cultures. Not saying it isn't possible, just saying I've never seen it. And if "Easter" is indeed a corruption of "Ishtar", who you may remember as the ancient mesopotamian "goddess" who was powerless to prevent a lonely shepherd boy from raping her, then please connect Ishtar with rabbits, eggs, and a spring festival.

I always assumed that eggs are associated with Easter because they are a symbol for new life. Pagan cultures have used eggs as a symbol for new life, but that in of itself doesn't make them a pagan symbol. Using the olive branch as a symbol for peace doesn't make sense without the Greek myth of the naming of Athens. This makes olive branch = peace a pagan symbol. The cross as a symbol of salvation makes absolutely zero sense without the Christian account of Jesus's resurrection. Thus cross = salvation is a Christian symbol. Eggs as a symbol for new life makes sense without any pagan myths, thus eggs = new life is not a pagan symbol. It is just a symbol.

but Vexcalibur's wikipedia article gives another, purely Christian reason of how they could have been associated with the holiday.

Vexcalibur: I read the wikipedia article you linked to. It had a lot of information about how rabbits and eggs could have become associated with Easter via purely Christian symbolism, but the only mention of them as pagan fertility symbols cited no references.

The evidence that it is a Christian holiday is that, last time I checked, it is always celebrated on the closest sunday to when Jesus rose from the dead, and there isn't any evidence of a holiday like it celebrated at that time before Christianity.

at least, last time I checked. If you have evidence to the contrary please present it.

You're in complete denial, aren't you?

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:16 pm

I'm not seeing any links...

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:18 pm

Catholic link:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05224d.htm

Scroll down to Easter Eggs for example.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:30 pm

You agree that the eggs symbolize "new life". If you did use to read mythology books (as you claim), well, that's pagan. Remember one of the versions of the account of the creation of the universe in Greek Mythology?

As for bunnies, if they're not Christian in origin, then they must come from what's not Christian. Correct?

Also, where is the Christian basis for Easter Eggs, Easter Bunny, and all that in the earliest Christian sources?

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:37 pm

"New Life" isn't an inherently pagan concept. I am familiar with the greek account of creation.

as for how bunnies got into it, check out vexcalibur's link.

The link you provided seems informative, but I don't have time to read it right now. (It's pretty long) but I do intend to get back to it another time. I wasn't trying to be a denialist, simply saying I had never seen any real evidence. The link you provided, at first glance, does look like it may provide some evidence.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:39 pm

To be honest, there isn't any hardcore evidence if that's what you're after.

It's just a matter of parsimony.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:43 pm

Then why tell me I'm in "complete denial"? :hmph:

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:53 pm

Because the only reason I see why you would reject its pagan elements to this point is that you don't want to accept it for whatever religious reason it may be.

Just because there isn't any hardcore evidence doesn't mean that it doesn't make much sense to be true.

On the contrary, it makes a lot more sense for Easter Eggs and Easter Bunny and Easter this and that to be pagan in origin than it is for them to be Christian in origin because all the evidence (even if not strong enough) point to the pagan roots rather than Christian.

Nowhere in the Bible or in any Christian source that matters do you see a Christian explanation for why they exist as Easter traditions.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:58 pm

But Vexcalibur's link did provide how they could be explained purely via Christian traditions.

:duh:

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 10:05 pm

If you mean the Easter Bunny link, it only describes how the Easter Bunny could be explained by Christian terms. But even then, spotting the sources for these claims in the footnotes, it looks like contemporary sources not primary ones.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 10:12 pm

Excerpt from Encyclopedia of Celtic Wisdom by Caitlin and John Matthews

"The hare brings the sun back out of the ground by his leaping in March-the time of Easter or the spring equinox.Hare-coursing with greyhounds may have ancient divinatory antecedents.The hare was sacred to the goddess Andraste of the Iceni of whom Boudicca sought an augury by loosing a hare from her garment and distinguishing the outcome of the battle by it's manner of flight."

It also mentions that chicken eggs may have been used in Druidic divination.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 10:21 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Excerpt from Encyclopedia of Celtic Wisdom by Caitlin and John Matthews

"The hare brings the sun back out of the ground by his leaping in March-the time of Easter or the spring equinox.Hare-coursing with greyhounds may have ancient divinatory antecedents.The hare was sacred to the goddess Andraste of the Iceni of whom Boudicca sought an augury by loosing a hare from her garment and distinguishing the outcome of the battle by it's manner of flight."

It also mentions that chicken eggs may have been used in Druidic divination.

hmm...

most of the mythology books I've read frustraitingly only covered the cattle raid of... coolny? (It's been a long time) in regards to celtic mythology and treated the celtic pantheon as mysterious figures about whom little was known due to corruption from roman influence and the Celt's lack of written records.

When they did go into other stuff, it was mostly the voyages to the west, the accounts of which having been recorded by Christian monks were re-written for Christian sensibilities.

So I am admittedly rather ignorant of druidic divination rituals.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 10:46 pm

^^^^^The Golden Bough by Sir James Frazier and the Dictionary of Celtic Mythology by James MacKillop (Oxford University Press) are good sources for info on the ancient Celts.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:52 pm

Quote:
Ēostre or Ostara (Northumbrian Old English: Ēostre; West Saxon Old English: Ēastre; Old High German: *Ôstara) is a goddess in Germanic paganism who, by way of the Germanic month bearing her name (Northumbrian: Ēosturmōnaþ; West Saxon: Ēastermōnaþ; Old High German: Ôstarmânoth), is the namesake of the festival of Easter. Ēostre is attested by Bede in his 8th-century work De temporum ratione, where Bede states that during Ēosturmōnaþ (the equivalent to the month of April) feasts were held in Eostre's honor among the pagan Anglo-Saxons, but had died out by the time of his writing, replaced by the Christian "Paschal month" (a celebration of the resurrection of Jesus).

first paragraph, wikipedia, footnotes at bottom.

still about 50 variations thereof depending on region and time period you are looking at.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.