UFO skeptics - are you still skeptics NOW?!

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 7:22 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/my ... 43870.html

I know I still am but what the heck... it'll be interesting to see what scientists make of this. Probably an asteroid but, if there's some other gravitational effect at play it'll be interesting to find out more about.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 7:33 pm

http://www.space.com/13835-cloaked-moth ... y-ufo.html

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 7:37 pm

My opinion:

An old rocket booster or similar being vaporized in the solar discharge. It would rapidly expand as it turned to plasma and gas, and glow very brightly. There are thousands of second and third stage boosters that are lost track of, so most are sent off on a sun ward trajectory if possible.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 7:40 pm

The guy explains it's an artefact of the video enhancement.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 7:43 pm

fraac wrote:

I looked at that, but the object and Mercury are not moving at the same speed, so the example shown would show artifacts of progressively longer lengths, rather than nearly identical lengths.

Still not a UFO though.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 7:44 pm

That's pretty interesting.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 7:46 pm

UFO? Hm... you don't really "fly" in space...

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 7:49 pm

I have a copy of Skeptic Magazine at my home which - interestingly enough - shows that more conservatives than liberals tend to believe in Roswell Alien conspiracies (while the apolitical are most likely of all to believe in Roswell Alien conspiracies) and more religious folks than atheists believe in Roswell Alien conspiracies.

And who're the UFO skeptics? I'm positively certain that that is a (presently) Unidentified Flying Oject!

dmm1010
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2011, 8:09 pm

shrox wrote:
My opinion:

An old rocket booster or similar being vaporized in the solar discharge. It would rapidly expand as it turned to plasma and gas, and glow very brightly. There are thousands of second and third stage boosters that are lost track of, so most are sent off on a sun ward trajectory if possible.

Kicking something that came from Earth "down" towards the Sun takes a whole lot of delta-v, and would therefore be a very wasteful way of dealing with space junk.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Dec 2011, 8:11 pm

Doesn't look like anything to me.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 8:27 pm

dmm1010 wrote:
shrox wrote:
My opinion:

Kicking something that came from Earth "down" towards the Sun takes a whole lot of delta-v, and would therefore be a very wasteful way of dealing with space junk.

We've been launching stuff for 50 years now...Russians too.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 8:31 pm

fraac wrote:
I didn't fully get what they were staying the first time around with that but, if that's how the doctoring worked and if that's what they posted on the official site - sounds like they kinda deserve a few headaches from the loonies. Bit unprofessional aye? ;)

Master_Pedant wrote:
And who're the UFO skeptics? I'm positively certain that that is a (presently) Unidentified Flying Oject!

Lol, nope. Apparently its quite well identified.

I'm always skeptical of UFO, as in yes - I get it, UFO does not equal alien craft, but all it takes is a few hours of someone's time who has a bit of professional acumen to turn a UFO into an IFO (identified flying object).

Vigilans wrote:
UFO? Hm... you don't really "fly" in space...

Apparently, at least in English, submarines don't 'swim' either; but... in Russian they do.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 8:46 pm

It is a UFO as much as it is flying and we do not know what it is yet.

In regards to flying saucer skepticism, if we did find a giant mothership in Mercury, it wouldn't necessarily mean the saucer sightings that were reported before were true.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 8:52 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
It is a UFO as much as it is flying and we do not know what it is yet.

I think this just goes to show how badly written the article is. The official line of explanation is there but written so poorly that half the people reading it have a hard time making heads or tales of it, I'd have to count myself as one of them - I was wondering if it was an asteroid until fraac got me to read it again.

dmm1010
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2011, 8:53 pm

shrox wrote:
We've been launching stuff for 50 years now...Russians too.

Indeed; but we generally dispose of space junk by letting it burn in the atmosphere, perhaps with a few nudges to help it along. In the case of geosynchronous satellites we boost them into a higher "graveyard" orbit at the end of their useful life, because sending them spiraling back down to Earth would again cost too much in delta-v. I'm not aware of any instance of us intentionally sending anything towards the Sun as a means of disposal. Doing so is just too costly.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 8:56 pm

This is quite something, i'm interested to what scientists and ufologists can make of it. It could just be space junk, but it could also be the discovery of a lifetime.