Page 1 of 10 [ 151 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Sunshine7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2011, 10:48 am

I would like to hear from you, especially if you're vegan.

Vegans have their reasons for refraining from eating meat-products - some are religious, emotional, factual - all right. But other than for the religious angle: if I stopped eating meat for a week so that you, a vegan, could eat meat for a week, would this be okay? I mean, no extra animals would die, you're just eating my animals.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 10:50 am

My son, the atheist vegan, laughed when I asked him your question.

Then he said, "No".

He's a smart kid.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 10:52 am

Vegans are opposed to any animals being used by humans for food.

Personally, I'd rather have a decent sausage roll.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 11:08 am

Sorry but this is a very odd question.
Ed
: On the other hand if I came across food which would about to be thrown away and there would be no one to eat it (which happens far too often in the West & actually I find myself in similar situations a lot) and I needed to then I would contemplate doing it. It is sort of a derivative of your proposition. However my reasons for veganism are rather complex and final result would likely be no for health/consistency and other emotions.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 11:23 am

I am a vegan 87.5% of the time

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 11:25 am

I eat meat, like the dirty savage I am.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 12:36 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
I am a vegan 87.5% of the time

Seventy five percent for me. Most of what I eat are veggies, grains, fruit, legumes. The little flesh I eat is mostly fish and fowl (chicken primarily). I consume very little beef these days.

I like the soy-bean meat substitutes. They have something approximating a meat flavor, and they are primarily protein.

ruveyn

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 12:37 pm

Gedrene wrote:

They can take my steak when they pry it from my cold, dead hands

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 12:51 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

They can take my steak when they pry it from my cold, dead hands

Mmmn. Either that or I can eat them. Manflesh! as the Uruk-hair would say.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2011, 1:29 pm

Clever question, Sunshine, I laughed out loud a little!

I actually know a few younger people who call themselves "Freegans." They are vegan for the most part, but will eat non-vegan food if it would be thrown away otherwise, for example they will go dumpster diving and eat whatever they find that isn't spoiled. Wasting food sucks. So your idea actually isn't that crazy. :)

Anyways if you are curious about the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle then my suggestion is: pick one day a week (for example Friday if you're Catholic) and don't eat meat (or dairy/eggs if you want to go all the way) on that day. This might not seem like much, but if the whole world cut meat consumption by 1/7 it would have a huge health and environmental benefit, certainly a bigger overall impact than a tiny number of people going 100% vegan.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 1:31 pm

Most vegans don't eat meat because they have ethical qualms with eating things that come from animals, or they just find it repulsive. Some have more generalized issues about the exploitation of animals, but if you think it through it starts to make a lot less sense on that level. Then you have to start weighing the value of life, as those animals wouldn't exist at all if we didn't use them, and it becomes very philosophical and very messy. As far as I'm concerned, there's only really a valid reason to be vegan on a personal level, which means they don't eat meat because they don't want to eat meat, so whether you eat meat or not they still won't.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2011, 1:43 pm

The Buddha had an interesting idea on the topic. (According to some teachings) he allowed his followers to eat previously-slaughtered and cooked meat if it was respectfully offered as alms. But not if the animal was killed specifically to feed you. In other words if a family says "we are just sitting down to chicken dinner, won't you join us?" there is no karmic/spiritual benefit to insulting their hospitality and complaining that their food is impure, but you're not supposed to go to the butcher and say "that chicken looks tasty, please kill and pluck it for me."

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

mushroo wrote:
The Buddha had an interesting idea on the topic. (According to some teachings) he allowed his followers to eat previously-slaughtered and cooked meat if it was respectfully offered as alms. But not if the animal was killed specifically to feed you. In other words if a family says "we are just sitting down to chicken dinner, won't you join us?" there is no karmic/spiritual benefit to insulting their hospitality and complaining that their food is impure, but you're not supposed to go to the butcher and say "that chicken looks tasty, please kill and pluck it for me."

sounds like my diet. I eat meat when offered because I don't want to be rude. saying no to a meal is just super-offensive. I have eaten roadkill on several occasions too, no problem with that.

Fnord wrote:
My son, the atheist vegan, laughed when I asked him your question.

Then he said, "No".

He's a smart kid.

ask him this: "If a monkey made you a vegan sandwich, would you eat it?"

:P

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 2:06 pm

anna-banana wrote:
sounds like my diet. I eat meat when offered because I don't want to be rude. saying no to a meal is just super-offensive. I have eaten roadkill on several occasions too, no problem with that

You're not like that fella who loves to pick dead badgers off the road, take them home and cook them are you?

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

anna-banana wrote:
ask him this: "If a monkey made you a vegan sandwich, would you eat it?"

:P

Is the monkey free-range? :)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 2:08 pm

mushroo wrote:
Is the monkey free-range? :)

If it's anything like those ones from Gibraltar, no. Bloody nasty little things. They're more likely to half-inch your sandwiches than make you one.