Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 3:53 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... le2301556/

Truly, I have to wonder about the political culture of the United States (and--I shudder to say--our own in Canada).

I understand anti-élitism, to be sure. (Did you see what I did there! ;) ) But have we reached a pass where intelligence and intellectual achievement are a barrier to elected office?

Incidentally, your government still communicates--at least in formal terms--in French. Look at the "Passport Message" of your passport sometime. There, big as life, are the words:

Le Secrétaire d'Etat des Etats-Unis d'Amérique prie par les présentes toutes autorités compétentes de laisser passer le citoyen ou ressortissant des Etats-Unis titulaire du présent passeport, sans délai ni difficulté et, en cas de besoin, de lui accorder toute aide et protection légitimes.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 4:12 pm

freedom fries!! !

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Jan 2012, 4:20 pm

The best part about this is that Newt actually speaks French too.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 7:39 pm

visagrunt wrote:
I understand anti-élitism, to be sure. (Did you see what I did there! ;) ) But have we reached a pass where intelligence and intellectual achievement are a barrier to elected office?

Nah, just a barrier for republican primaries.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 7:41 pm

visagrunt wrote:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/worldview/and-he-speaks-french-is-gingrichs-latest-attack-on-romney-desperate/article2301556/

Truly, I have to wonder about the political culture of the United States (and--I shudder to say--our own in Canada).

Incidentally, your government still communicates--at least in formal terms--in French. Look at the "Passport Message" of your passport sometime. There, big as life, are the words:

Le Secrétaire d'Etat des Etats-Unis d'Amérique prie par les présentes toutes autorités compétentes de laisser passer le citoyen ou ressortissant des Etats-Unis titulaire du présent passeport, sans délai ni difficulté et, en cas de besoin, de lui accorder toute aide et protection légitimes.

Haha, this is rich. Those people probably wouldn't know that the term of "right-wing" or "left-wing" originated from France if it hit'em.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 8:28 pm

Of all the stupid...

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 9:48 pm

This has to be the most entertaining election year ever. Especially with the super-pacs spending tens of millions of dollars.

Newt Gingrich has the highest educational attainment of any of them, and he is trying to accuse other candidates of being too smart.

We have reached a whole new level of hypocrisy.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 10:12 pm

Sacred blue!

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 10:24 pm

This was even mentionned tonight at the Téléjournal. Apparently that kind of tactic was also used against JOHN KERRY, going as far as saying that he even looks french. -.-

I swer sometimez, ze Américains zey say ze dumbest tingz. (stereotyped writing done on purpose here)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 1:19 am

pandabear wrote:
This has to be the most entertaining election year ever. Especially with the super-pacs spending tens of millions of dollars.

Newt Gingrich has the highest educational attainment of any of them, and he is trying to accuse other candidates of being too smart.

We have reached a whole new level of hypocrisy.

well, for years now, the Republicans have been portraying educated people as out of touch elitists. So it's no surprise that the highly educated Gingrich is going to play up to the crackers and hicks he figures makes up his constituency that too much education is a bad thing.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 2:00 am

visagrunt wrote:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/worldview/and-he-speaks-french-is-gingrichs-latest-attack-on-romney-desperate/article2301556/

I dunno, what do you think?

And yes, I saw what you did there. You put the accent on the wrong syllable.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 Jan 2012, 2:17 am

Romney's French speaking is something to take issue with tho. Not the fact he speaks French but the reason why, he was hiding out in Paris as Mormon missionary so he couldn't get drafted to Vietnam. Now I don't blame him for avoiding serving in Vietnam but he actually protested against anti-war protestors. 100% purebred chickenhawk.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 11:00 am

http://news.yahoo.com/rudy-giuliani-cal ... -news.html

Fox Noise is now defending Mr. Romney against Mr. Gingrich. That is quite a change. It looks like Rupert has made up his mind that Mr. Romney will be the next president.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 1:36 pm

pandabear wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/rudy-giuliani-calls-newt-gingrichs-anti-romney-attacks-191618058--abc-news.html

Fox Noise is now defending Mr. Romney against Mr. Gingrich. That is quite a change. It looks like Rupert has made up his mind that Mr. Romney will be the next president.

It's when Gingrich started attacking Bain Capital and Romney positioned himself as the defender of country club conservative economic cruelty that Fox Noise decided to defend him.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 2:38 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
pandabear wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/rudy-giuliani-calls-newt-gingrichs-anti-romney-attacks-191618058--abc-news.html

It's when Gingrich started attacking Bain Capital and Romney positioned himself as the defender of country club conservative economic cruelty that Fox Noise decided to defend him.

Because Gingrich is a damn commie! :lol:

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 9:41 am

Mitt Romney has been trying to hide the fact that he speaks French. I can see why a Repugnican would find such an accomplishment to be an enormous source of shame.

Michael Dukakis also let it out that he spoke Greek and Spanish. That's what ultimately cost him the election against Bush the Elder.