Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 12:49 am

This issue really needs more attention.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 1:40 am

Thanks for the information. I'm not surprised that the pro Obama press has been hushing it up.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 Feb 2012, 2:32 am

Didn't see this when you posted it but it's not surprising at all. Obama is a neocon's neocon and has done more to move this country closer to a police state than maybe any other president and that is an impressive feat to say the least considering our country's history.

In a fair world, Obama and Holder would be in prison locked up with George Bush and Donald Rumsfeld but we'll probably just elect them to another term. This country makes me sick.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 2:39 am

Didn't you hear M_P? All criticisms of Obama are partisan smears orchestrated by bigots, racists and Republicans, even the ones coming from progressives and liberal Democrats.

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Feb 2012, 2:54 am

that last part "Bradley Manning should have committed war crimes instead of exposing them"

Priceless.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 8:15 am

Tram´ble
v. t. 1. (Mining) To wash, as tin ore, with a shovel in a frame fitted for the purpose.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, published 1913 by C. & G. Merriam Co.

I think you meant "trampling".

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 8:38 am

Dox47 wrote:
Didn't you hear M_P? All criticisms of Obama are partisan smears orchestrated by bigots, racists and Republicans, even the ones coming from progressives and liberal Democrats.
Dox, don't be an as*hole.

I have already debunked most of the claims being alluded to here. I am not going to have this discussion again. It left me royally pissed-off last time because you self-admittedly didn't even try to make a valid contribution to the discussion, even though I was there delving deep into the guts of the issue. I felt cheated. Screw yourself.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 8:59 am

On topic: I don't follow US politics that closely, but from what I've read, I'm quite disappointed by Obama's pandering to the military-industrial complex and Wall Street. On the plus side, his stimulus package did a lot of good, and his healthcare plan would have too if it had not been watered down by conservatives. He also ended "don't ask, don't tell" and disposed of Bin Laden.

But other than that? He has pretty much ignored the Occupy movement, as well as the police brutality directed against the protesters. War and white collar criminals got away scot-free, and the latter paid themselves record bonuses from taxpayer money (to be fair, the Wall St. bailout was signed by Bush, but I would have expected to see a criminal investigation of the bankers who gambled away the US economy). Obama's crackdown on medical marijuana was a huge disappointment too, and I haven't seen much in terms of environmental / energy policy. He also failed to step up in support of marriage equality. To top things off, he uses a lot more religious language than I would expect to hear from a Democrat.

From where I'm sitting, the two party system of the USA now consists of a moderately religious right wing party, formerly known as Democrats, and an ultra-right, hyper-religious fascist party. There is no left wing and no center anymore, and there doesn't seem to be any politician who is not bought and paid for by America's corporate overlords (well, what do you expect when bribery in politics is completely legal). And yet Obama is still the best and only option for the next election, simply because his Republican opponents in the 2012 race are complete and utter nutcases. If the American public wasn't so divided by rigid political (and religious) ideologies, I'd say your best option is to bring out the guillotines, clean house and start over.

PS: Again, I don't follow US politics that closely. I apologize if I misrepresented or misunderstood any of the above issues.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 10:59 am

Jacoby wrote:
Didn't see this when you posted it but it's not surprising at all. Obama is a neocon's neocon and has done more to move this country closer to a police state than maybe any other president and that is an impressive feat to say the least considering our country's history.

In a fair world, Obama and Holder would be in prison locked up with George Bush and Donald Rumsfeld but we'll probably just elect them to another term. This country makes me sick.

How can you refer to Obama, who is a disciple of Saul Alinsky as a neo-con?

Obama is radically anti-American.

ruveyn

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 11:14 am

What do you think M_P, have these "claims" about Obama been "debunked"? Or are we seeing the oft rumored liberal version of epistemic closure?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 11:22 am

ruveyn wrote:
How can you refer to Obama, who is a disciple of Saul Alinsky as a neo-con?

Obama is radically anti-American.

ruveyn

Alinsky was a genius at shaping opinion and manipulating groups; that kind of technique knows no ideological bounds. You don't need to be a feudal Chinese warlord to make use of Sun Tzu, nor a Renaissance noble to grasp Machiavelli; Saul Alinsky is no different. Not that I really think Obama is all that familiar with Alinsky in the first place, he's been remarkably ham handed in office at handling PR, among other things.

As for his being a neocon, it's not a hard case to make; just look at what he does vs what he says. He says dovish things while initiating drone strikes in foreign countries we're not even at war with and talks of transparency while presiding over more espionage act prosecutions than all other previous administrations combined. I don't think he's anti-American, I just think he's duplicitous in general.