Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 2:33 pm

The word "civilization," comes from the latin civis, meaning citizen. At root, civilization means a society in which individual members have a stake in the society. If you are merely present in a place, living your life independently of those around you, you are not a citizen, and you are part of no civilization.

I do not think, though, that there is a checklist under which a society that can check off a sufficient number of boxes gets to call itself, "civilized." We have certainly seen some indiciae of civilization listed here. Some we can likely agree on, others will be more controversial. It bears noting that civilization is relative--to the point in history in which we examine a society and to the prevailing conditions in which a society finds itself. The classical civilizations were certainly that--but by today's standards they might be found woefully deficient.

All that being said, here's my list of indicia (off the top of my head):

1) Agriculture, aquaculture and hunting: A civilization needs sufficient technological advancement to permit a society to feed itself, either through its own endeavours, or through trade.

2) Money: A civilization requires that people be able to sell their labour and to meet the necessities of life through the proceeds of that labour. I am fairly certain that money is an exclusive answer to this required, but there may be an historical circumstance in which a sophisticated economy existed without a medium of exchange.

3) Towns: Civilizations cannot function without some degree of centralization. This means sufficient engineering knowledge and a trading economy of sufficient complexity to permit the development of towns.

4) A framework for the exchange and retention of knowledge. This includes schools, libraries and universities, but is not limited to them. Note that I have not included public education, free at the point of delivery. In a contemporary context, I firmly believe that public education would be a necessary component of this, but that is not the case in evaluating ancient civilizations in their own contexts.

5) Rule of Law. Here's a controversial one. While Romans had a sophisticated legal system, it is abundantly clear that the legal system did not have the capacity to bind the sovereign. It was, however, sophisticated enough to resolve private disputes, which is an essential feature. On the other hand are tyrranies any less "civilized" than their democratic peers? We may be crossing over from an objective assessment of civilization into a more subjective assessment of political systems here.

I am hesitant to wade into questions like democratic institutions, human rights protections, women's emancipation and the like. While they are certainly features of any society that I would choose to describe as civilized today, I am not at all sure that they are an appropriate lens for an historical understanding of civilization. If we were able to find a description that considered human rights through a context specific lens, that might provide us with a greater degree of comfort around this particular item.

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 3:20 pm

Nude models and red wine.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 2:39 am

abacacus wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Lots of white people, Jesus and Conservapedia

The funny thing is, Jesus would almost certainly have been black or Arab most likely, not white :lol:

Not black! A lot of Hebrews actually had ginger hair, even in ancient times. I don't think they were ever much darker skinned than modern day Italians are.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 5:18 am

It is how well we treat the "other" or the "neighbor" or the person we don't know that makes a civilization or not.

You can treat those within your group or tribe well but tolerance of those who are different from you or that you don't know determine how civilized you are. Since it is not a battle to do the first, and a challenge to do the second, treating the other well gets my vote. The father three faiths became so on this basis.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 5:49 am

visagrunt wrote:
The word "civilization," comes from the latin civis, meaning citizen. At root, civilization means a society in which individual members have a stake in the society. If you are merely present in a place, living your life independently of those around you, you are not a citizen, and you are part of no civilization.

I do not think, though, that there is a checklist under which a society that can check off a sufficient number of boxes gets to call itself, "civilized." We have certainly seen some indiciae of civilization listed here. Some we can likely agree on, others will be more controversial. It bears noting that civilization is relative--to the point in history in which we examine a society and to the prevailing conditions in which a society finds itself. The classical civilizations were certainly that--but by today's standards they might be found woefully deficient.

1) Agriculture, aquaculture and hunting: A civilization needs sufficient technological advancement to permit a society to feed itself, either through its own endeavours, or through trade.

2) Money: A civilization requires that people be able to sell their labour and to meet the necessities of life through the proceeds of that labour. I am fairly certain that money is an exclusive answer to this required, but there may be an historical circumstance in which a sophisticated economy existed without a medium of exchange.

3) Towns: Civilizations cannot function without some degree of centralization. This means sufficient engineering knowledge and a trading economy of sufficient complexity to permit the development of towns.

4) A framework for the exchange and retention of knowledge. This includes schools, libraries and universities, but is not limited to them. Note that I have not included public education, free at the point of delivery. In a contemporary context, I firmly believe that public education would be a necessary component of this, but that is not the case in evaluating ancient civilizations in their own contexts.

5) Rule of Law. Here's a controversial one. While Romans had a sophisticated legal system, it is abundantly clear that the legal system did not have the capacity to bind the sovereign. It was, however, sophisticated enough to resolve private disputes, which is an essential feature. On the other hand are tyrranies any less "civilized" than their democratic peers? We may be crossing over from an objective assessment of civilization into a more subjective assessment of political systems here.

I am hesitant to wade into questions like democratic institutions, human rights protections, women's emancipation and the like. While they are certainly features of any society that I would choose to describe as civilized today, I am not at all sure that they are an appropriate lens for an historical understanding of civilization. If we were able to find a description that considered human rights through a context specific lens, that might provide us with a greater degree of comfort around this particular item.

Points 1 and 2 exist in all human societies anyway, even tribal ones. Though with respect to 2, "money" as such doesn't always exist but trading and bartering does. The main event that establishes a pre-civilised society as crossing over into a civilized one is the establishment of cities.

Last edited by Jono on 01 Feb 2012, 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 5:50 am

I agree. How much humanity man has towards man, as well as rule of law, are the big pointers for me.

As such, I honestly don't think there's likely to be a culture or country in existence that is truly civilised. Or, you'd have to look very very hard for it. Certainly not the UK anyway. Not even the UK, giving due acknowledgment and appreciation to its role on furthering civilisation in the world.

LordGin
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2012, 9:26 am

I'd say it's how civilized they say they are.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 9:33 am

LordGin wrote:
I'd say it's how civilized they say they are.

how does what they say have any bearing on reality?
they might say they are civvilized but if they kill off people protesting or beat them down it doesnt really ring does it?

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 9:54 am

phil777 wrote:
What makes a culture civilized? Agriculture! :p

Exactly. Civilization requires sedentary agriculture and a government. Everything else is a bonus and not a prerequisite for civilization.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:10 am

i think the meaning of civilized is quite different from the fact of being a civilization.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:14 am

I've always considered the level of privacy available to the individuals within the society as a good barometer of the level of civilization. Notice that in a tribal society there is no privacy whatsoever, the tribesman's entire life is public.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:42 am

Oodain wrote:
i think the meaning of civilized is quite different from the fact of being a civilization.

Agreed, but the question was "what makes a culture civilized" :) If you ask an anthropologist this question, s/he would likely say "the change from hunter-gatherer tribalism or nomadic pastoralism to sedentary agriculturalism and state formation". That's how "civilized" is defined in terms of culture. Civilized behavior according to modern societal norms and ethics is a different matter.

Last edited by CrazyCatLord on 02 Feb 2012, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:43 am

Knowledge and the desire to learn.

Everything else, even human rights, come from that.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Sunshine7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2012, 11:18 am

I think "civilized" is a chronologically relative term.
Thousands of years later, we will be regarded as barbaric by our descendants.

As an aside, I think very few nations on the planet have their legal doctrine based on a rights system. Off the top of my head, I can only think of America. Many other nations don't recognize rights at all. These aren't necessarily backwater nations, mind you, they include Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong.

Although those citizens don't have, say, the right of free speech, the stance of the authority is more or less: don't say anything wrong, and we won't put you in the slammer. What the law defines as "wrong" is left to common law precedent, which is, largely, still very forgiving. Same end effect, just using different mechanisms.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 11:58 am

I just thought of another thing. A culture is more civilised, the more its members stand up to and challenge prejudice.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 7:05 pm

Jono wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

Points 1 and 2 exist in all human societies anyway, even tribal ones. Though with respect to 2, "money" as such doesn't always exist but trading and bartering does. The main event that establishes a pre-civilised society as crossing over into a civilized one is the establishment of cities.

That seems too categorical to me. Agriculture, aquaculture and hunting existing in all human societies is a broad claim. We all have to eat, to be sure, but the development of the technological advancement to make the cultivation and accumulation of food a planned activity rather than a daily need might not necessarily be universal in human societies (at least historically). It is, however, universal in any civilization.

As for the issue of medium of exchange, is a bartering society sufficiently sophisticated to qualify as civilized. I can only survive in a bartering economy if the need for my goods or my services is sufficient to allow me to accumulate everything that I need in the way of food, clothing and shelter. I do not know of a single civilization that has come into existence without a medium of exchange, but I will be interested if anyone can point to one.

Cities as a crossover benchmark is too uncritical, in my view. Towns and markets, in my view, suffice. Cities imply an increased level of services in an economy which, in my view, goes beyond the scope required for a civilization. Also, the development of towns cannot be a singular benchmark, because the framework for knowledge transfer and retention is equally important to the ongoing sustainability of a civilization.