Page 5 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 10:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
abacacus wrote:
As far as I know science has not yet created a true artificial intelligence, a computer capable of independent thought. That would lead to a reasonable suspicion that the brain works through more than electricity.

Or that the complexity of the human mind is too much for mere digital logic to replicate; at least, with today's technology, anyway.

I'd be surprised if we ever reached that level of technology.

As far as I know, we have never found anything capable of the same level of thought as the human brain. Perhaps there really is something completely unique about the human brain that is beyond our ability to fully understand.

We still have no clear answer as to how our minds work (to my knowledge), and we've been trying to figure it out for how long? Since the time of Ancient Rome?

You will reap what you've sown.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 11:17 pm

abacacus wrote:
Fnord wrote:
abacacus wrote:
As far as I know science has not yet created a true artificial intelligence, a computer capable of independent thought. That would lead to a reasonable suspicion that the brain works through more than electricity.

Or that the complexity of the human mind is too much for mere digital logic to replicate; at least, with today's technology, anyway.

I'd be surprised if we ever reached that level of technology.

As far as I know, we have never found anything capable of the same level of thought as the human brain. Perhaps there really is something completely unique about the human brain that is beyond our ability to fully understand.

We still have no clear answer as to how our minds work (to my knowledge), and we've been trying to figure it out for how long? Since the time of Ancient Rome?

We can't even figure out how to stop guys from going bald, and I guarantee people have been trying to figure that one out since way before Rome. Just because we don't understand something doesn't mean it's voodoo. Judging by all of human history, it just means there are scientific principles we haven't discovered yet.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 11:19 pm

We can keep from going bald. Hair transplants :P

I understand your point however, and it is true.

You will reap what you've sown.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 11:42 pm

abacacus wrote:
We can keep from going bald. Hair transplants :P

I understand your point however, and it is true.

Hair transplants are horrible. The whole idea is flawed. They take from the back of your head, so they can't get enough to really make a full head of hair. It'd be workable if they cloned the follicle so that they could make as many as needed. I know someone who got one, and it looks like s**t.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 1:57 am

Saturn wrote:
I don't know whether there is reincarnation. My stance is that as no evidence of it has shown up in my personal experience, then there is no reason for me to believe in it or live my life in accordance with any implications it may have.

very well then. in my own experience i have some very personal reasons to believe that it has strong bearing on my life so far.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 4:03 am

I think consciousness is an unaccounted dimension of the universe, maybe something present in empty space itself. I think the electrons in the brain and the way they're configured channel or warp this dimension into a specific form, much like how mass warps space-time into a gravitational field. When the machinery of the brain dies, I don't think the substance of our consciousness goes away entirely, just the particular form that its in. Its just like how a generator produces electricity. When the generator is shut down and stops producing a current, electricity doesn't just cease to be. The electrons it was conducting retreats to a more stable state. Our lives are really like continuums of mental currents or waves that are conducted through brain function.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 8:26 am

Reincarnation is a hindu belief

Here in India we believe in Karma and our scriptures talk a lot about reincarnation

There has been many cases of reincarnation been proved books by Ian Stevenson and documentaries
on discovery channels i have seen many cases been proved.

why do we have bad relationship with some people right from beginning? why some people suffer badly?
why are some born poor and some extremely rich? well its based on their past karma and the present
relationship are past closing balance which we have carried forward.

In astrology we can see clearly past connections and its effect.

also dalai lama is selected based on his memory of the objects which he used in past life.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 7:14 am

snapcap wrote:
Reincarnation is a very calming idea that numbs death anxiety, and it's one that I believe and hope to happen, and that is pretty much where my beliefs end.

I think reincarnation a lot more frightening than "just" death.
Living this sh***y live again just scares me. 8O
If there is a god, I'm gonna tell thim that I don't want to be reborn. :wink:

But there are very intersting vids and books about reincarnation:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWCUjx4nI98[/youtube]

So, ther could be something to it.
I dunno.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 7:17 am

^^^
you will only have to live this sh***y life again if you don't learn anything from it. it will come back again in a more intense guise, over and over until you complete/learn the life lessons you are supposed to learn, generally related to karma and atonement. once you get these concepts under your belt you can more onto more profitable things.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 7:26 am

auntblabby wrote:
you will only have to live this sh***y life again if you don't learn anything from it. it will come back again in a more intense guise, over and over until you complete/learn the life lessons you are supposed to learn, generally related to karma and atonement. once you get these concepts under your belt you can more onto more profitable things.

Possible, but when I have another choice no way I'm being reincarnated. 8O
What I learned from this life: "life is suffering and I'm a freak"
No thanks, don't need it anymore. :shameonyou:
Death, the big black nothing is a waaaay nicer thought.

Last edited by Raziel on 24 Jan 2013, 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 7:58 am

the late robert monroe had some interesting things to say about reincarnation and getting one's life lived in the right way the first time, he described it as [paraphrasing] being akin to failing a grade in school and having to once more sit at an increasingly too small desk going through the stale motions of the previous year, even more tedious than the first go-round. and if one simply drops-out [declines to reincarnate] one will be stuck in the parking lot of existence while others have long passed you by. it gets old real quicklike and taxes the complacency of even the most unmotivated spirit. of course, one only truly experiences this when it is happening, and not so much in the breach.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 4:44 pm

silenthawk wrote:
What do you guys think of reincarnation? I believe in it. I believe that the soul can't die it just goes to another new being. What do you guys think?

I do not know of any evidence which supports this idea.
I respect the rights of those who believe in it.
I do not believe in it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

silenthawk wrote:
What do you guys think of reincarnation? I believe in it. I believe that the soul can't die it just goes to another new being. What do you guys think?

What soul? Where soul? There is not an iota of physical evidence to indicate that an immaterial something called the soul survives the death of the body.

ruveyn

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 6:22 pm

ruveyn wrote:
silenthawk wrote:

What soul? Where soul? There is not an iota of physical evidence to indicate that an immaterial something called the soul survives the death of the body.

ruveyn

Yes, I never understood why so many people believe in souls.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 6:43 pm

If we reincarnate, then we clearly do not remember it.

If we do not remember it, then why does it matter? I would still be dead, because it would be another person living, with completely different genes, memories and experiences.

So it is a useless belief.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 7:53 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
If we reincarnate, then we clearly do not remember it.

If we do not remember it, then why does it matter? I would still be dead, because it would be another person living, with completely different genes, memories and experiences.

So it is a useless belief.

Depends on where you are reborn. And some humans remember their past lifes.

The thing that is important in rebirth belief (at least in buddhism) is that you suffer, subtly or grossly, due to past lifes anguish. When you do a retreat in the tradition of S.N. Goenka it's possible that you have emotional/physical pain from past lifes removed through that specific technique of meditation. It's a matter of practicing enough and doing, if necessary, many retreats.