Page 7 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 10:52 pm

MCalavera wrote:
I really don't want their heaven. :scratch:

if you don't like the mormon heaven, there are other heavens to choose from.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 11:05 pm

The Jehovah's witness have a good one,human body(sex!),they are ok with drinking(booze!)and all those friendly animals laying around.Sounds pretty good.Wish it existed :lol:

If you were a hillbilly in a past life auntblabby,well then,"Howdy cousin :lol: ."

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 11:07 pm

auntblabby wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

You mean I'm not allowed to be just dead??? :wall:

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 11:14 pm

its basically to finish karmic give and take
if in pastlife you murdered someone
then in this life they will murder you.
if you stole money
in this life your money would be stolen
if you snubbed people, ostracised them
then in this incarnation you would be treated same way.
thats what religion says

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 11:34 pm

MCalavera wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

there are "dead" heavens also, if you so choose. but you are free to awaken from them whenever you wish.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 11:35 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Quote:
And some humans remember their past lifes.
Very few humans in comparison to the billions we know, claim to remember their past lives.

But that does not really help me, does it . So if I reincarnate, the most likely outcome is that I will forget completely about my current life. That still sounds a lot like death.

Free link: http://www.skepdic.com/stevenson.html

Here's one about Edgar B. S. Cayce: http://www.skepdic.com/cayce.html

I'm not trying to prove anything. And neither are you, because these things aren't falsifiable and reproducible. If they were self contradictory, like the concept of an omnipotent god, then you could conclude that it doesn't exist. But in this case we will never be sure, unless there is an experimental proof of the existence of rebirth. We're still far away.

I can only state why I believe it. Buddhism is an experience based religion. You test, through (personal) experience, the teachings the Buddha gave. To this day there are still people who experience memories of their past lifes through meditation. It's possible, with some effort, for everybody to experience it. Besides this, other meditation based systems of belief have had similar experiences. So why would so many people claim to have experienced it if it's false? It seems plausible to me that rebirth is real. Besides, as I have faith in the Buddha, I think he wasn't lying when he said he also experienced it, along with many of his contemporary disciples.

ripped
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 6:40 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
sure, i believe in reintarnation, in my last life i was a hillbilly ;)

seriously, many many folk have written on the subject, the ones that caught most of my attention were edgar cayce, ian stevenson ["you cannot die"], robert monroe ["journeys out of the body"], dr. jim tucker ["life before life: a scientific investigation of children's memories of previous lives"], and dr. melvin morse [whose studies of the OOBEs of resuscitated children are most interesting].
for centuries now, humans have been talking about metaphysical topics relating to realms outside of life on earth, it persists to this day, and so where there's smoke, there's usually a fire going on somewhere. IOW there has got to be something to it, i can't all be the hysterical dreamings of death-fearing madmen.

Someone once told me that in my last life I was a very high-achieving alchemist who hid his works within the Catholic church and when my hidden works were found I was excommunicated and killed (sounds a lot like Giordano Bruno).

Question is - was that true? Alternatively, is it possible they were just trying to steer me where they thought my intellect would best work out?

Wat it true? Only you can answer that.
Do you have a flair for chemistry? That could be a hint.
Are you mistrustful of religions, dogmas and authority? That could be a hint.
Do you have vexatious trust issues? That could be a hint.

ripped
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 6:45 am

MCalavera wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

Of course you are!
But why would you want to be when you could flit about the whole universe, traverse the celestial planes, make acquaintances with all the people you have encountered throughout eternity.
And then some 'angel guide' comes up to you and says 'There's this very exiting opportunity on this young planet. You can be born there and take part in something magnificent, something never before seen there.'
And you say, 'Oh what the hell'.
And here you are!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 7:35 am

:lmao:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 1:53 pm

ModusPonens wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ModusPonens wrote:
... some humans remember their past lifes.
Can you provide links of book references to first-hand accounts of people remembering their past lives?
I'll give you the wiki page of the psychiatrist who best researched into this. There you can find the titles of the books. He himself said that he hadn't found definite proof of reincarnation. He collected cases suggestive of this possibility. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson

Those cases are all subjective and anecdotal.

A "psychic" at a New Age Fair tried to convince me that I was the reincarnation of an oriental lady who had been hacked to death by soldiers from another Asian country. Then she showed me an article about someone named "Empress Myeongseong", and tried to convince me that she was my identity in a previous life, and that this was the reason why I like sushi, kimchi, and other eastern foods.

I have no memory of any such events, and since hypnosis doesn't work on me, there is no subjective "regression" that could be claimed as evidence

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 2:08 pm

ripped wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Someone once told me that in my last life I was a very high-achieving alchemist who hid his works within the Catholic church and when my hidden works were found I was excommunicated and killed (sounds a lot like Giordano Bruno).

Question is - was that true? Alternatively, is it possible they were just trying to steer me where they thought my intellect would best work out?

Wat it true? Only you can answer that.
Do you have a flair for chemistry? That could be a hint.
Are you mistrustful of religions, dogmas and authority? That could be a hint.
Do you have vexatious trust issues? That could be a hint.

At a minimum I know this person's sources were something real. My sense though at this point at least; this doesn't need to evidence such a thing as true but rather denotes certain sources of inspiration that 'they' would want me to draw on.

I can't remember where I heard this, lots of NDE research and I read several different people's in-depth books but, they say that when you're told things like that (per the rules of the other side) those things don't even need to be true - all they need to be is expedient to your life chart and life pre-planning. Hence they (contact spirits) have carte blanc to make it up as they go - all in the interest and execution of your life plan of course.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 2:16 pm

I don't believe in reincarnation of souls, because 'I' do not exist and neither do souls, I think.

If life force exists, it probably gets recycled- but it won't be 'my' life force.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 2:30 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
If we reincarnate, then we clearly do not remember it.

If we do not remember it, then why does it matter? I would still be dead, because it would be another person living, with completely different genes, memories and experiences.

So it is a useless belief.

So that your life force has a better reincarnation next time, meaning there is less suffering in the world. Just because it doesn't benefit your ego doesn't mean it isn't worth doing.

I'm just sort of playing devil's advocate because I'm not 100% sure reincarnation happens. However I do believe in being good for the sake of making the world better - whether that has knock on effects in future lives or not.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 4:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
ModusPonens wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ModusPonens wrote:
... some humans remember their past lifes.
Can you provide links of book references to first-hand accounts of people remembering their past lives?
I'll give you the wiki page of the psychiatrist who best researched into this. There you can find the titles of the books. He himself said that he hadn't found definite proof of reincarnation. He collected cases suggestive of this possibility. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson

Those cases are all subjective and anecdotal.

A "psychic" at a New Age Fair tried to convince me that I was the reincarnation of an oriental lady who had been hacked to death by soldiers from another Asian country. Then she showed me an article about someone named "Empress Myeongseong", and tried to convince me that she was my identity in a previous life, and that this was the reason why I like sushi, kimchi, and other eastern foods.

I have no memory of any such events, and since hypnosis doesn't work on me, there is no subjective "regression" that could be claimed as evidence

Did you read all books? How did you come to such a conclusion?

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 4:41 pm

ripped wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

Of course you are!
But why would you want to be when you could flit about the whole universe, traverse the celestial planes, make acquaintances with all the people you have encountered throughout eternity.
And then some 'angel guide' comes up to you and says 'There's this very exiting opportunity on this young planet. You can be born there and take part in something magnificent, something never before seen there.'
And you say, 'Oh what the hell'.
And here you are!

It sounds all sweet and nice when you read about these things, but they are just your fantasy at the end of the day. And not rooted in reality.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 4:49 pm

When I was a kid I used to thing re-in-Carnation was pouring the condensed milk back into the can.

ruveyn