Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 1:25 pm

I just don't know whether it's right or wrong me

Sometimes I can certainly see an argument for it but then I immediately find an argument against it

I feel torn

Tell me your thoughts on this if you please

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 1:31 pm

I don't have a problem with it, assuming it's a decision made by a person with the assistance of their medical care team and it's not coerced or reactive. When MAID is involved there's a comprehensive approval process and waiting period. I think people should have the right to make this informed decision for themselves just like we have autonomy for all other decisions regarding our medical choices and our personal ethics.

We euthanize our pets, in conjunction with a veterinary doctor's advice, to end their suffering. I think it's ethically sound to give human beings the same level of care and respect based on their prognosis.

My children's grandmother chose this last summer.

* My only concern would be life insurance. I'm not sure if it would be payable under the clause of "suicide", but perhaps when it's medically assisted it falls under a different category. I'm not sure about that. I'd hope it's still payable because the people who are approved for MAID have terminal illnesses regardless.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 2:10 pm

I think it's a complicated issue, and can't properly be declared entirely right or wrong. Depends on the individual case. Here's a bit about the debate surrounding the matter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia#Debate

Crudely speaking, the religious argument seems to boil down to the idea that their god says it's wrong. As I don't think there are any gods, for me that argument means nothing. And although 48% are religious in the UK, support for assisted dying exceeds 80%, which suggests that not all religious people in the UK are entirely against it.

If somebody is suffering horribly and there's no chance of stopping that suffering in any other way, then as long as they want to die, I think it's a kindness to kill them in a painless way. But we don't always know for sure that we'll never be able to stop the suffering without killing them, and sometimes people want to die one day and want to live the next day. And there's the question of who can be trusted to make these decisions - doctors may want to harvest organs or get problematic patients off their books, relatives may want to get rid of the patient or to benefit from their life insurance or last will and testament.

I think there's also a strong emotional abhorrence about killing somebody even if it's logically the action of choice. I once put a pigeon out of its misery. A cat had made a horrible mess of it and it was pretty obvious that it couldn't be saved. I still think killing it was the right thing to do, but I was very upset at the time and even now after about 40 years I feel tearful when I remember it. I think I'd have felt almost as bad if I'd just walked past it, though its suffering would very likely have been greater. I think morals are based on emotions, and emotions aren't always in line with reason. I hope I never have to make such a choice about a human or about any other sentient life-form.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 3:38 pm

Legally -- depends where it's allowed. Depends where it's seen as a right.

Morally -- who knows. Depends if it's seen as dignifying.

Ethically -- usually after a lot of debates; with careful scrutiny and several inquiries that will depend on the person.
Usually are to do with incurable terminal and chronic diseases; consent and choices.

Religiously -- likely taboo. With all the sayings about eternal punishment and the sanctity of life...
Even with the sayings of reincarnation, karma and doing it all over again...

Spiritually -- actually, as far as I'm aware; it solves nothing.

Personally -- I don't care.
If someone wants a relief from life, if someone wants to waste it; I'm not obligated to 'save' them.
And if I have to make the decision for someone or something? I don't know. The transition mattered to me more in the process on any case.
Anything else boils down to several more factors which I'm sure I'm not able to elaborate all of it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 06 Apr 2024, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 3:43 pm

I wanna be an organ donor me so I don't know if euthanasia could be an option

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 3:47 pm

babybird wrote:
I wanna be an organ donor me so I don't know if euthanasia could be an option

I feel like euthanasia would make that easier to arrange, given how much easier it is to harvest organs from someone who has scheduled their passing vs. dies by an unforeseen circumstance.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 3:53 pm

Yeah I'm thinking it might be for me then if/when the time comes

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 6:51 pm

babybird wrote:
Yeah I'm thinking it might be for me then if/when the time comes

Hi babybird.I really value your input.I enjoy your thoughts and what you have to say.I hope you will be okay.I enjoy having you on here.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 2:17 am

That's a nice thing for you to say to me

Thank you :D

And likewise the same to you also

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 4:41 am

I think it should only be allowed with terminal illness that cause a lot of pain. People deciding to go down the euthanasia route because they feel like a burden on their friend and family is my biggest concern.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 9:22 am

It should be allowed for painful terminal illness.
I don’t want to linger or have my kids go through that ,not to mention the expense.
I also have NO plans to live in a nursing home.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 9:26 am

I wouldn't mind living in a home as long as the home doesn't mind my occasional pyromania

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 9:39 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I feel like euthanasia would make that easier to arrange, given how much easier it is to harvest organs from someone who has scheduled their passing vs. dies by an unforeseen circumstance.

It depends on the drug or drugs used. Some drugs make organ donation impossible.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 9:47 am

Yeah that's what I was thinking but I obviously didn't say it

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Apr 2024, 10:36 am

People should have the right to choose a peaceful death.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 11:09 am

I'd be worried about the concoction they would use.