Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2012, 7:29 pm

I believe in a mix of Wicca, Christianity, and Buddhism. I believe science is part of it, but I also believe SOMETHING is controlling the universe, though I highly doubt it's an actual PERSON of some sort. I think it's a form of energy we haven't discovered yet. I don't think religion should say science is invalid, but all also believe at the point of evolution we are, we can't know EVERYTHING, and science is only BEGINNING to advance, so it can't explain EVERY single thing. I believe in spirits, and I also believe in the supernatural, though I have doubts on what it REALLY is. I believe humans have psychic abilities and were evolutionarily meant to, and that other animals have the same abilities too. I also believe LGBT people were MEANT to be who they are, that there is obviously an evolutionary reason. Yeah, maybe trans people might be some kind of mutation, but mutations are what helps evolution of a species. They're people too and need respect and should be allowed to be the gender they feel. Whatever causes the universe to do what it does isn't stupid, it isn't dumb. The universe knows what it's doing, even though it's not a living being.

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 7:34 pm

theaspiemusician wrote:
What would you call this religious belief?

Just another socio-political expression of faith.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 7:39 pm

theaspiemusician wrote:
I believe in a mix of Wicca, Christianity, and Buddhism.

You could call it Wiccianiddhism :D That's quite catchy.

If this works for you, why not. Personally, I couldn't find any evidence for psychic abilities when I read into this subject, and no mentalist, mind reader or other psychic performer has ever won James Randi's million dollar challenge. But I don't think that the belief in psychic powers is any more outlandish than the beliefs held by the majority religions.

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 8:10 pm

thinking for yourself

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 8:12 pm

It encompasses a teleological view of sociology and an ontological view of evolution. I'm apt to believe that there's an attractor pulling our evolution toward a certain end, and that end is for the universe to have the ability to understand and contemplate its own existence through us. It wants to experience itself, and I think that's why we evolved. It isn't necessarily an intelligence. It could actually be more of a tendency.

I actually get kind of scared by the waves of purposelessness being resonated in this era, because it may be a sign that we've run our course. I think there's still a lot more to be done and more to be experienced, though, like exploration of space, exploration of our own consciousness, and some time to finally love one another as opposed to killing each other off over resources.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 8:22 pm

I would call it sloppy thinking.

Does witchcraft affect the physical world?
Did Jesus of Nazareth rise from the dead?
Can you give an example of a person using psychic powers? What are they able to do with their psychic powers?

You need to answer these questions before you start slapping labels on yourself.

Last edited by Declension on 06 Feb 2012, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 8:23 pm

Jedi?

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 8:23 pm

JNathanK wrote:
... I'm apt to believe that there's an attractor pulling our evolution toward a certain end, and that end is for the universe to have the ability to understand and contemplate its own existence through us. It wants to experience itself, and I think that's why we evolved. It isn't necessarily an intelligence. It could actually be more of a tendency.

That's an interesting thought. I've often thought that since we are free to find our own purpose in life, the best purpose for humanity would be to explore the universe and learn all that we can about it (and bring life to dead planets such as Mars while we're at it).

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 8:32 pm

I'd call it a religious belief in a sense, yes. An interesting one at that.

You will reap what you've sown.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 8:35 pm

I would call it 'stuff that theaspiemusician believes'. :P

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 8:49 pm

I would call it stupid. :P :wink:

In all seriousness, the label is irrelevant. Just give it one, or don't. I would consider it a "spiritual evolutionism". You should also look into Process Theology if you have the opportunity, as I think they may have some similar ideas. (although I am not an expert myself) http://www.religion-online.org/listbyca ... asp?Cat=18

Also, I think that your notion of "something controlling the universe" is pretty questionable. Is there a clear intent behind what happens? I mean, if you did a historical analysis, would you find some very clear notion of the desires of this entity? I also would urge you away from ESP as most parapsychology is very poorly evidenced, and for the most part has more evidence against it.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 8:56 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I would call it stupid. :P :wink:

*snort* :lmao:

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 9:49 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
I would call it 'stuff that theaspiemusician believes'. :P

Then it should be called Theaspiemusicianism!

theaspiemusician should write his or her own religious creed.

I also have a hybrid of religious beliefs and don't subscribe to the belief of any particular religion.
You should be above the system and form your own beliefs.

If pagans and wiccans didn't believe in magic,torrot cards,ancestor worship and many gods then I would become one!

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 10:22 pm

I would call it "Unity". There is a church near where I used to live called "Unity". They embrace lots of different beliefs from all religions. It's Christian in name. They do mention Jesus, and have a worship service but you don't have to believe in Jesus to go there. Their church library has books on lots of different religions and philosophies. If you are looking for a community or a house of worship, I'd suggest you check them out. They are not pushy and believe that everybody believes what they do for a reason. I believe they are part of a nationwide denomination.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 10:23 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I would call it "Unity". There is a church near where I used to live called "Unity". They embrace lots of different beliefs from all religions. It's Christian in name. They do mention Jesus, and have a worship service but you don't have to believe in Jesus to go there. Their church library has books on lots of different religions and philosophies. If you are looking for a community or a house of worship, I'd suggest you check them out. They are not pushy and believe that everybody believes what they do for a reason. I believe they are part of a nationwide denomination.

Do you mean Unitarian? They're a nice bunch.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 10:55 pm

I would call it new age non-sense.