What is the Moral Objection to Contraception?

Page 2 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Are Contraception, Onanism, and Masturbation Immoral?
Contraception, Onanism, and Masturbation are All Immoral 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Only Contraception and Onanism are Immoral 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only Contraception and Masturbation are Immoral 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only Onanism and Masturbation are Immoral 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only Contraception is Immoral 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only Onanism is Immoral 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only Masturbation is Immoral 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Contraception, Onanism, and Masturbation are All Moral 96%  96%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 28

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 7:10 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:
The mere existence of some people I can think of right now make an excellent case for contraceptives.
To bad it's too late in some cases.......

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 7:15 pm

Raptor wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll:
The mere existence of some people I can think of right now make an excellent case for contraceptives.
To bad it's too late in some cases.......

I thought that you called yourself a "Conservative?"

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 7:17 pm

^Raptor is just trying to pull the "what if your parents used protection, you wouldn't exist" stunt. Which is ridiculous and dull.

No, Raptor, your life is not at risk should contraception and abortion be allowed. It will not be retroactive and btw : duh.

NeantHumain wrote:
I was raised Roman Catholic, so I know a bit about their teaching. Catholic doctrine is that human sexuality is intended for procreation within the context of marriage only. They oppose premarital sex, adultery, open marriage, non-vaginal intercourse, masturbation, etc. I don't know how they feel about the elderly and infertile.

Then why oppose contraception? There are two use scenarios I can think for contraception right now.
a) Couple has sex without marriage thus they want to avoid babies and STDs - Since they hare having sex outside of marriage, they are not Catholic and thus the Church should just STFU.
b) Couple has sex inside marriage but doesn't want kids any more. They are inside marriage and thus it is ok for them to have sex...

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 7:52 pm

Looks like it goes back to early church leaders

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/birth-control

The Catholic Church even opposes sterilization.

Quote:
Wishful Thinking

Ignoring the mountain of evidence, some maintain that the Church considers the use of contraception a matter for each married couple to decide according to their "individual conscience." Yet, nothing could be further from the truth. The Church has always maintained the historic Christian teaching that deliberate acts of contraception are always gravely sinful, which means that it is mortally sinful if done with full knowledge and deliberate consent (CCC 1857). This teaching cannot be changed and has been taught by the Church infallibly.

There is no way to deny the fact that the Church has always and everywhere condemned artificial contraception. The matter has already been infallibly decided. The so-called "individual conscience" argument amounts to "individual disobedience."

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 8:23 pm

Regarding Masturbation:

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a6.htm

Quote:
By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action." "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."

I wonder if Catholics are as stridently opposed to masturbation as they are to contraception?

I also wonder what they mean by "intrinsically and gravely disordered action."

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 9:17 pm

They are also opposed to masturbation.

Basically the Catholic church is opposed to everything that might be fun.

You will reap what you've sown.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 9:26 pm

http://ronconte.wordpress.com/2011/01/0 ... turbation/

Quote:
In order to be moral, each and every sexual act must be marital and unitive and procreative. The good moral object of every moral sexual act is these three meanings intended by God: marital, unitive, procreative.

The type of sexual act called masturbation is not marital, is not unitive, and is not procreative. Therefore, masturbation has an evil moral object and is an intrinsically evil act. Intrinsically evil acts are always immoral. But intrinsically evil sexual acts are always gravely immoral....

Is masturbation justified within marriage, when one spouse masturbates the other spouse before, during, or after natural intercourse? No, it is not. The act of masturbation remains intrinsically evil due to the absence of the unitive and procreative meanings from the moral object of that act.

This is a really, really weird religion. A bunch of old dudes who are supposed to be celibate, telling wives that they must take no action to help stimulate the penis prior to penetration.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 9:39 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:

Quote:
Raptor is just trying to pull the "what if your parents used protection, you wouldn't exist" stunt. Which is ridiculous and dull.

No, more like I was wishing some people’s parents had used contraceptives. Duh….
:roll:

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 9:40 pm

Raptor wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Quote:
Raptor is just trying to pull the "what if your parents used protection, you wouldn't exist" stunt. Which is ridiculous and dull.

No, more like I was wishing some people’s parents had used contraceptives. Duh….
:roll:

And you wonder why Conservatives get little respect from the sane people...

You will reap what you've sown.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 9:42 pm

^

None of the laity actually listen to that stuff, pandabear. They only listen to the bits about not using contraception and not having abortions, hence the population explosion in the Philippines.

In the old days, boys would feel guilty for masturbating, and have to confess it to a priest, but I don't think it's common any more (in the West, anyway).

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 9:45 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHcqcXo_NA[/youtube]

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 9:47 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
^

In the old days, boys would feel guilty for masturbating, and have to confess it to a priest, but I don't think it's common any more (in the West, anyway).

That must have been awkward.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 9:49 pm

pandabear wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
^

I think they'd use some euphemism like 'I have committed sins due a weakness of the flesh' or something like that. I've never asked my dad about it (nor do I want to!)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 9:56 pm

pandabear wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHcqcXo_NA[/youtube]

And how many of those four on camera weren't secretly wankin' it?!?!
I suspect a total four out of four!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 9:57 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
pandabear wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
^

I think they'd use some euphemism like 'I have committed sins due a weakness of the flesh' or something like that. I've never asked my dad about it (nor do I want to!)

How would a kid come up with something as corny as that?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 9:59 pm

pandabear wrote:

How would a kid come up with something as corny as that?

I think word would get round that that was what you were supposed to 'say' in such a circumstance. I dunno, I'm only going off fiction I've read. :lol: