Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Bezeone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2013, 3:06 pm

Now, I think everybody here has at least heard of the Christian Hell before. We've heard that if you were not to accept Jesus and to repent of your sins,( And try to stop commiting those sins.) you'll burn for eternity with every other sinner that ever lived.

Now, while many disregard Christianity as nothing more than a silly myth made by people who believed in a jello-spewing dragon for many different reasons, many point towards the Bible saying that sinners are to burn forever and ever. How are we then, to believe that a God who has mercy, would simply send people to a place to burn for ALL eternity? Or maybe....it's a lie of the Devil himself? (Bear with me, folks.)

First of all, I don't believe in that Hell. Let's make that clear. However, it seems as though the second death had went from being simply another death to eternity due to one verse...

Revelation14:11
''And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.''

This easily seems to prove me wrong...however, notice the ''for ever and ever?'' Many say that is for eternity. Now let's look at OTHER bible verses that use ''forever.''

Isaiah 34:9,10
''And the streams thereof shall be turned into pitch, and the dust thereof into brimstone, and the land thereof shall become burning pitch. It shall not be quenched night nor day; the smoke thereof shall go up forever: from generation to generation it shall lie waste; none shall pass through it for ever and ever.''

Is Edom still burning today? Nope.

But let's not what forget what Jesus said!

Matthew 25:41
''Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:''

Did another quote from the Bible use the term '''everlasting''?

Jude 1:7 ''Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.''

Is Sodom and Gomorrah still burning?

But wait! I have another quote to put down the myth of an eternal Hell!

Malachi 4:1,3
''For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch. And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do [this], saith the LORD of hosts. ''

If they'll burn for all eternity, then why does the Bible say that they will be ashes?

I'd thought I'll just share that.

http://remnantofgod.org/Hellfire.htm

Basically what I said, just more detailed.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 3:17 pm

Go to Hell.

Oh, and you might want to bring a coffee thermos, a sandwich and a good book. It looks rather comfortable in the shade of that tree...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 3:29 pm

Ahh ... youthful idealism ... too often trampled by the realities of life ...

The Bible is a collection of largely apocryphal stories that were embellished upon for decades (or even centuries) before they were ever put into writing.

But if believing in a just and loving God (who would send non-believers to a place of eternal torment that is filled with darkness, fire, brimstone and the wailing of the damned) gives you comfort, then more power to you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 3:33 pm

I never believed in the eternal worm. A a kid, I questioned it and neighborhood kids who did pounced on me. It just seemed absurd to be living and worm eaten but I guess the idea is one is alive and maggoty at the same time forever and ever and ever.

Bezeone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2013, 4:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
Ahh ... youthful idealism ... too often trampled by the realities of life ...

The Bible is a collection of largely apocryphal stories that were embellished upon for decades (or even centuries) before they were ever put into writing.

But if believing in a just and loving God (who would send non-believers to a place of eternal torment that is filled with darkness, fire, brimstone and the wailing of the damned) gives you comfort, then more power to you.

I don't believe in such a God. I do believe in a just and loving God who said he will have to be payed the wages of sin by those who rejected him. (Those who never had the chance won't really suffer.)

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 4:32 pm

Hopefully, you'll grow out of it with time. You're still 16 years old.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 4:35 pm

Well, I would never send MY children to burn forever in a lake of fire. So either I'm more merciful than God, or Hell is a lie, or there's no God anyway.

Bezeone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2013, 4:40 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Well, I would never send MY children to burn forever in a lake of fire. So either I'm more merciful than God, or Hell is a lie, or there's no God anyway.

Hell is a lie. Simple as that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 4:55 pm

Bezeone wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Ahh ... youthful idealism ... too often trampled by the realities of life ... The Bible is a collection of largely apocryphal stories that were embellished upon for decades (or even centuries) before they were ever put into writing. But if believing in a just and loving God (who would send non-believers to a place of eternal torment that is filled with darkness, fire, brimstone and the wailing of the damned) gives you comfort, then more power to you.
I don't believe in such a God. I do believe in a just and loving God who said he will have to be payed the wages of sin by those who rejected him. (Those who never had the chance won't really suffer.)

They're the same thing, according to the Bible.

"Death" being just another colorful metaphor for "Hell".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

Bezeone, the Book of Revelation seems to disagree with you.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 5:00 pm

Revelation 21:8
But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.

More details about the second death? Gladly.

Revelation 20:10
And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Telekon
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2013, 5:01 pm

Bezeone wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

Hell is a lie. Simple as that.

Then Jesus was a liar (or seriously misquoted).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 5:03 pm

Bezeone, which Christian denomination do you claim as your own?

Do they allow you to read the bible, or do they merely tell you what they want you to believe?

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 5:05 pm

I'm guessing Seventh-day Adventists.

They tend to be quite secretive at first about their denomination.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 5:07 pm

MCalavera wrote:
I'm guessing Seventh-day Adventists. They tend to be quite secretive at first about their denomination.

I'm guessing Jehovah's Witless. They tend to be ignorant about what the Bible actually says, and tend to repeat only what they've been told to say.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 5:09 pm

Check the site he linked to.