Page 1 of 12 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 5:41 am

I myself went from Vegetarian to Pescatarian.
I felt sorry for the cute little LAND animals, fish are ugly and slimy so they can die.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 5:49 am

Subotai wrote:
I myself went from Vegetarian to Pescatarian.
I felt sorry for the cute little LAND animals, fish are ugly and slimy so they can die.

:lol:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 9:08 am

I will become a vegetarian as soon as I can find a fruit or vegetable that tastes like Kentucky Friend chicken, dark meat.

ruveyn

Ddddd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2012, 9:31 am

I've been vegan from september 2007 to december 2007, I lost about 10 kgs, I became pale and had infections in my throat, so I had to drink milk and eat eggs again. I've been vegetarian until january 2011.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 6:10 pm

You know what's the problem with anvilicious shots of slaughter houses? That factory farms for plants are as brutal if not more brutal to their plants and plants are living beings too. It seems to me that the morality boost people get from going vegan is not less destruction of life, but less destruction of life that has red blood.

Ddddd wrote:
I've been vegan from september 2007 to december 2007, I lost about 10 kgs, I became pale and had infections in my throat, so I had to drink milk and eat eggs again. I've been vegetarian until january 2011.
but..but protein is a mass conspiracy to make you eat meat! You are not supposed to ever have health issues for going veggie. You liar!! !! !! !! !! !!!111!

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2012, 7:27 pm

I'm a vegetarian, but I only became one once I had GI issues. My father became one after he unknowingly ate his pet cow for dinner. His explanation for becoming a vegetarian might have had to do with the negative feelings after he ate his pet, but mostly because he believes in animals having "stronger" souls than plants. Additionally, he would rather not eat anything if given the choice.

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 8:30 pm

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 19 Apr 2012, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2012, 8:54 pm

I was vegan for a while. I've been wanting to get back into it. What I don't like though is the hostility from people who are eating meat when you aren't. I was never the "angry vegan stereotype" who told others what to eat but they sure wanted to pick on me about it (cuz it's out of the ordinary).

I was healthier when I was vegan, I lost some weight and made better overall food choices (a lot of junk has milk in it). In general I should probably at least always cut out milk because I'm somewhat lactose intolerant.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 9:08 pm

It's sad that there are so many profoundly bad arguments on both sides of this debate. On the carnivore side, 'plants have feelings too!' On the vegan side, 'humans don't naturally eat meat!' (I haven't seen much of that here, but I do see it in animal rights/welfare forums). Headdeskers, both of them.

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 9:13 pm

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 19 Apr 2012, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 9:29 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
You know what's the problem with anvilicious shots of slaughter houses? That factory farms for plants are as brutal if not more brutal to their plants and plants are living beings too. It seems to me that the morality boost people get from going vegan is not less destruction of life, but less destruction of life that has red blood.
Plants don't have a CNS and there's no useful function that pain would serve for them since they can't run or hide so this is just beyond ridiculous.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 9:31 pm

Ellendra wrote:
I've known a few people who were healthier on the vegan diet, but very few. Everybody's system is a little different.

I'm actually missing several enzymes needed to digest plants, so I'm biologically a carnivore. At the opposite end of the spectrum, one of my friend's friends is actually allergic to animal proteins, so he has to be a vegan.

Most people are somewhere in between.

Hmm, interesting. I suppose it works for some people but not all. If people do adopt the diet, they should pay very close attention to their bodies and make sure to get Omega 3 DHA from an algae supplement.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 9:34 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Plants don't have a CNS and there's no useful function that pain would serve for them since they can't run or hide so this is just beyond ridiculous.

Well, I think that cells might actually have a less organized form of consciousness. We really don't know what a tree feels if it gets cut down. I sort of think pain is an unavoidable condition of the reality we exist in. If pain and suffering is an evil, then it means that the whole ordering of this cosmos is an evil.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 9:39 pm

Ria1989 wrote:
I'm a vegetarian, but I only became one once I had GI issues. My father became one after he unknowingly ate his pet cow for dinner. His explanation for becoming a vegetarian might have had to do with the negative feelings after he ate his pet, but mostly because he believes in animals having "stronger" souls than plants. Additionally, he would rather not eat anything if given the choice.

Yah, I think they may have stronger souls than plants too, so I could see why one would prefer to slaughter a plant over an animal. I think all nature should be respected though.

I agree with that. If I could go without eating or harming anything, I would.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 9:51 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
I think veganism is unhealthy as a long-term diet. I know a couple of people who've done it for a number of years, but one of them accidentally eats dairy all the time (they keep eating take-away curries cooked in ghee). The other one, I suspect, is some kind of superhuman.

I function fine when I have eggs and milk in the diet, but even though I was making sure to take all the right supplements when I was a vegan, I still got this horrible cyst on my back. I wasn't just eating tater tots. It was all lentil soups, B12 pills, Zinc pills, beans, rice, greens, tofu, etc etc. Since I've discontinued the diet, I've never had anything like that again. I may try it again, though, because I wasn't getting any omega 3 DHA at the time, which is important for skin and brain function. Now pills are widely available from an algae source, which they weren't at the time. I'll make sure to only eat fermented soy too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx_aAjxEHLw[/youtube]

This guy's a total superhuman vegan.

Last edited by JNathanK on 19 Feb 2012, 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 9:51 pm

JNathanK wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

Well, I think that cells might actually have a less organized form of consciousness. We really don't know what a tree feels if it gets cut down. I sort of think pain is an unavoidable condition of the reality we exist in. If pain and suffering is an evil, then it means that the whole ordering of this cosmos is an evil.

We don't know that trees don't feel pain when they're cut down in the same way that we don't know that there isn't a teapot orbiting in the asteroid belt. We also have no reason to suspect that either thing is true. We do know that all normal mammals posses complex nervous systems that do enable them to feel pain and fear.