Boo! 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
Meh! 59%  59%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 39

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 3:17 am

techn0teen wrote:
Children need more than one loving parent.

Not any more. I am talking about from an evolutionary view point.

Icyclan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Feb 2012, 4:45 am

Fnord wrote:
There are going to be a lot of lonely single moms looking for a step-daddy for their kids. The difficulty is that I know of no man who is willing to raise some other man's brats for just a place to sleep, eat, and watch TV. I tried, and it didn't work out.

Exactly. I don't even want children of my own, let alone raise someone else's demon spawn.

Last edited by Icyclan on 29 Feb 2012, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Icyclan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Feb 2012, 4:47 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
the problem with that, is that for every good-hearted noble man, there are a legion of less noble men who don't have it in their hearts to put themselves out for somebody else's spawn. supply and demand don't match up here.

It has nothing to do with nobility. It's only evolutionary sound that you do not want to raise the offspring of a competitor. There are more tangible reasons, but that's the underlying male instinct.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 11:19 am

A new male lion who takes over a pride will kill all of the existing kittens.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 2:03 pm

pandabear wrote:

Male gorillas also commit infanticide. The females grieve for their murdered offspring and probably hate the new guy with a passion, but there is little they can do about his presence. Soon they are in heat again and find themselves filled with uncontrollable desire for the murderer of their children. It's hard to imagine anything more psychologically damaging and traumatizing. But mother nature doesn't care as long as this cruel spectacle results in stronger and healthier offspring. To think that some people believe this behavior and this selection process were designed by a loving, benevolent god...

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 2:06 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
pandabear wrote:

Male gorillas also commit infanticide. The females grieve for their murdered offspring and probably hate the new guy with a passion, but there is little they can do about his presence. Soon they are in heat again and find themselves filled with uncontrollable desire for the murderer of their children. It's hard to imagine anything more psychologically damaging and traumatizing. But mother nature doesn't care as long as this cruel spectacle results in stronger and healthier offspring. To think that some people believe this behavior and this selection process were designed by a loving, benevolent god...

Or wasps that lay eggs in living prey to reproduce

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 2:13 pm

techn0teen wrote:
Children need more than one loving parent. A single parent is just not enough of a person to provide enough stability. You know the saying it takes a whole village to raise a child? It is true. Our ancestors raised children in groups. And, in many societies, children were seen as belonging to the entire group and not just the parents.

I also believe this saying (it takes a village...) to be true. But this means that two parents are not enough either. The healthiest environment for children is probably an entire family clan with parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, and lots of siblings, nephews and nieces who all live under the same roof. But who would want to go back to that?

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 2:37 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Or wasps that lay eggs in living prey to reproduce

Or mind-controlling parasites like Toxoplasma gondii, which program mice to seek out cats in an attempt to get eaten. Not a particularly cruel example, but very interesting because this protozoan tries to perform the same brain surgery on dead end hosts, including humans. The result is quite frightening and makes a great argument against free will:

Quote:
"Infected men have lower IQs, achieve a lower level of education and have shorter attention spans. They are also more likely to break rules and take risks, be more independent, more anti-social, suspicious, jealous and morose, and are deemed less attractive to women.
"On the other hand, infected women tend to be more outgoing, friendly, more promiscuous, and are considered more attractive to men compared with non-infected controls.

... About 40 per cent of the world's population is infected with Toxoplasma gondii ...

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Par ... 90758.html

This is no hoax btw. There are other parasites who perform neurosurgery on their hosts and/or mess with their neurochemistry, such as the Lancet liver fluke, who thoroughly alters the behavior of snails and ants. Who knows how many other human personality changes are caused by parasites? Even our gut flora affects our brain development and behaviour (link). Change your diet and you become a slightly different person. So much for free will.

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 10:32 am

I voted yay because I was in fact born before my parents married.

But most of all, I do not believe in the sacred concept of marriage. So... no problem with that. I think it's bad to be forced into marriage because you want to have kids. It's just... odd.

I don't think I ever want to marry. Kids... Maybe, even though it does not seem likely to me now.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 11:48 am

Oh-oh.

Deuteronomy 23 wrote:
No one born out of wedlock or any descendant of such a person, even in the tenth generation, may be included among the Lord's people.

That's a heck of a lot of people who can't go to church.

Going back ten generations: that's maybe 300 or more years, and 2^10 ancestors: it would be difficult to prove that one really had the entitlement to enter a church.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 1:10 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Oh-oh.

Deuteronomy 23 wrote:
No one born out of wedlock or any descendant of such a person, even in the tenth generation, may be included among the Lord's people.

That's a heck of a lot of people who can't go to church.

Going back ten generations: that's maybe 300 or more years, and 2^10 ancestors: it would be difficult to prove that one really had the entitlement to enter a church.

In Old Testament-speak doesn't "the Lord's people" mean the Israelites/Hebrews/Jews? Jesus said some vage thing about "fullfilling but not abolishing" those old laws, but it's not really clear the gentiles have to follow them as well.
This is just my very limited understanding, I'm an atheist so I don't feel an obligation to follow those rules anyway.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 2:46 pm

Quote:
Reviewing the academic literature, Susan L. Brown of Bowling Green State University recently found that children born to married couples, on average, “experience better education, social, cognitive and behavioral outcomes.”

Lisa Mercado, an unmarried mother in Lorain, would not be surprised by that. Between nursing classes and an all-night job at a gas station, she rarely sees her 6-year-old daughter, who is left with a rotating cast of relatives. The girl’s father has other children and rarely lends a hand.

“I want to do things with her, but I end up falling asleep,” Ms. Mercado said.

I know people don't want to hear this but...

This is the bottom line. It is not good for society. I think it is essential to encourage marriage among the lower/working classes.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 6:50 pm

And male chimpanzees have been known to "adopt" and raise abandoned infants.

Nature is great, isn't it?

That said, my mother's parade of idiot boyfriends never did me any favors except occasionally pretending to be my friend so they could keep screwing my mom. One of them attempted to kill my cat and referred to me as "ret*d."

IMHO, "step-dads" can $%&^# off.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 11:38 pm

She couldn't find a patsy?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 11:52 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
She couldn't find a patsy?

Afraid not.

Men wanting to have sex with you is not the same thing as a decent man seeking a committed relationship.

My mother, who is admittedly a bit of a bimbo, learned that much too late.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 3:55 am

Given the births out of wedlock and the statistics provided among different ethnic groups, and the actual number of births 1990 vs 2010 in the table below, the number of eventual issues in society include, a continuing trend in this direction, a society increasingly dependent on assistance for subsistence, and most troubling is the lack of clear social roles for those in the society.

At one point the village or tribe provided the social roles, then the family and work provided the social roles, then increasingly work provided the social roles, and now work is no longer either as available or can easily be defined as a social role through the course of one person's life.

A lack of social roles for socials animals invariably lead to extinction of the social unit. The social unit now is becoming a global one, with virtual reality connections that glue it together. Social animals of the warmblooded variety don't make good hive creatures.

Japan and South Korea are seeing the impact as some young people are losing the will to form any relationships and have any children.

While one might contribute the approaching overall 40% decrease in under the age of 20 births, in the US, in just two decades, to better education on reproductive control, that whole demographic except for Hispanics are on an increasingly downward spiral.

The only overall demographic, that is also the overall smallest demographic, that is keeping the family unit together is the Asian demographic in the US, however the number of births are still decreasing dramatically among the under age 20 demographic of that group, while all other age groups are increasing dramatically in births among the Asian demographic.

Society in the US is currently held together by the social welfare state, as it is exists. Chaos will be the result if and when that glue disappears in the future. The only current answer to avoid it is the continued re-distribution of wealth. Without the impact of weapons of mass destruction, a balance will likely continue to be found for some time to come if enough intelligence AND social cooperation continues. One can also likely forget any potential for anything but a Democratic President in the US as long as this demographic trend continues.

But a lack of social roles is still a real problem and can eventually look like what is demonstrated among social animals per the link and quote below in John Calhoun's behavioral sink experiment in the 60's, when social roles cease to exist and subsistence is still provided.

Some interesting analogies are already occurring in Japan and South Korea, per John Calhoun's experiment and the "beautiful ones".

36% of males age 16 to 19 in Japan have no interest in real sex. Many of who are reported as despising the thought of it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/3 ... 242014.htm

And make-up has become the foundation of success for men in South Korea.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/wor ... 57792806/1

But a rapidly decreasing population and suicide among the young and old are increasing at an alarming rate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/world ... ral&src=me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Calhoun#1963-1983

Quote:
After day 600 the social breakdown continued and the population declined toward extinction. During this period females ceased to reproduce. Their male counterparts withdrew completely, never engaging in courtship or fighting. They ate, drank, slept, and groomed themselves – all solitary pursuits. Sleek, healthy coats and an absence of scars characterized these males. They were dubbed “the beautiful ones”.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/11/ ... igrants/7/