Boo! 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
Meh! 59%  59%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 39

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 10:59 pm

cw10 wrote:
Why can't fathers just stay with their children?

Too much to ask?

Careful what you wish for. Some fathers (and mothers) are despicable human beings who should be kept away from all children with a 40 metre pole.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 11:15 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
cw10 wrote:

Too much to ask?

Careful what you wish for. Some fathers (and mothers) are despicable human beings who should be kept away from all children with a 40 metre pole.

Well wisdom isn't attained through the act of fornication. Child protective services are around for such reasons. But just because you're despicable doesn't mean you don't love your kids and treat them properly either.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 12:54 am

cw10 wrote:

Too much to ask?

Neither more nor less so than asking men to parent 'another man's brats.'

Better men show themselves by their behavior. Children benefit if they're parented by the better men.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 8:50 am

The "bad boys" are for fun, and the "nice guys" are to come along later, to help take care of their kiddies.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 10:58 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Fnord wrote:
There are going to be a lot of lonely single moms looking for a step-daddy for their kids. The difficulty is that I know of no man who is willing to raise some other man's brats for just a place to sleep, eat, and watch TV. I tried, and it didn't work out.
Well, I've met many that succeeded.

If people can make it work, then Dog bless them all!

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 2:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
There are going to be a lot of lonely single moms looking for a step-daddy for their kids. The difficulty is that I know of no man who is willing to raise some other man's brats for just a place to sleep, eat, and watch TV. I tried, and it didn't work out.

Thus online dating: It's full of single mothers.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 3:07 pm

pandabear wrote:
The "bad boys" are for fun, and the "nice guys" are to come along later, to help take care of their kiddies.

This is a model that unsuccessful males tell themselves so that they can blame women rather than themselves for their lack of success.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 3:42 pm

LKL wrote:
pandabear wrote:
This is a model that unsuccessful males tell themselves so that they can blame women rather than themselves for their lack of success.

There is a corresponding model for girls: "Fast girls for fun; smart girls for each other". It is a model that socially unsuccessful girls tell themselves and each other so that they can blame men rather than themselves for their lack of social success.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 3:45 pm

cw10 wrote:

Too much to ask?

Ask LBJ, he's the one who set up the financing that way.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 3:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
LKL wrote:
pandabear wrote:

There is a corresponding model for girls: "Fast girls for fun; smart girls for each other". It is a model that socially unsuccessful girls tell themselves and each other so that they can blame men rather than themselves for their lack of social success.

Its all because a great many smart people are socially sycophantic toward the dumb and will do everything they can to hide their intelligence. That leaves the people who don't have the capability to hide themselves pretty much out in the open and with no tools and infrastructure to have much of a society or way of meeting of their own.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 3:57 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
cw10 wrote:
Why can't fathers just stay with their children? Too much to ask?

It would be great if a man could get custody of his kids in a divorce, stay home to raise them, and have their mother work two jobs to support him and the kids by paying both alimony and child support.

But "Family Law" always seems to favor the mothers, while criminalizing and marginalizing the fathers in every way.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

20 Feb 2012, 5:05 pm

Well my parents were old fashioned I guess, my dad married my mom after he knocked her up like a gentleman should.

It's pretty sad, this cannot be good for the kids no matter how you spin as a positive of female independence tho. You'd think these women would have more self respect for themselves and not have a kid with the loser guy who works at Sears. I know they're unplanned but it's not exactly rocket science.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 5:10 pm

Kids without dads end acting like this...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co8vGjEz-xU&feature=related[/youtube]

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 5:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
LKL wrote:
pandabear wrote:

Only dumb unsuccessful girls. :wink:

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 5:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
cw10 wrote:
Why can't fathers just stay with their children? Too much to ask?

It would be great if a man could get custody of his kids in a divorce, stay home to raise them, and have their mother work two jobs to support him and the kids by paying both alimony and child support.

But "Family Law" always seems to favor the mothers, while criminalizing and marginalizing the fathers in every way.

The father can do that, IF it's the same as the arrangement that existed prior to the divorce. I know at least one man who go palimony from his MD wife after their divorce, because he worked fewer hours than her and was the primary caretaker for their daughter.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 7:24 pm

You know what the purpose of marriage is, everyone? It is a financial institution. It is the combination of two family's resources. So, of course single parent households are going to be more likely in poverty.

Children need more than one loving parent. A single parent is just not enough of a person to provide enough stability. You know the saying it takes a whole village to raise a child? It is true. Our ancestors raised children in groups. And, in many societies, children were seen as belonging to the entire group and not just the parents.

After my parents divorced, I was basically raised by my mother. And my father came to visit. Without their combined income and the recession, we lost our home and most of our belongings. I have no doubt that if they were still together that they would have been able to keep everything.

The core of this problem is the extremist views people hold in regards to sex. People seem to think of it as a free thing that people should be allowed to purpose no matter the consequences. Well, the consequences are living, breathing sentient beings who can feel suffering, pain, and neglect. It is no wonder I have a revulsion toward anything sexual.

Liberal views on the subject nor conservative views are going to change this. I propose new types of financial institutions. How about any two people coming together, to share resources in raising children, get tax breaks?