Page 5 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 6:10 pm

I'm open to the possibility of a god existing. I just don't see any reason to believe in one without compelling evidence. The most compelling argument seems to be that of personal revelation - God reveals himself to people. That would convince me. So far, God has shown no interest in revealing himself to me, so I'm led to believe he either can't or won't. Either way, there doesn't seem to be much reason to worship such a being.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 10:39 pm

Indeed, I would be very suspicious of anyone claiming to know God without strong evidence.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 11:36 pm

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
fraac wrote:
It's ridiculous only because you're refusing to explore the implications. From my dog's point of view is arithmetic rational?

What does your dog's viewpoint have to do with it? Arithmetic is necessarily rational. We can't just guess the answers. Your dog's inability to comprehend the process doesn't make it irrational.

Quote:
If a religious person has perceived a measurable impact on their lives - not an externally verifiable impact, which you've already agreed doesn't matter - then why can't they rationally claim existence of a god?

This is where things get a little complicated. A believer can have a measurable, actual impact on their lives from their faith. But this doesn't come from God, which is (in a manner of speaking) just a catalyst. If a church fundraiser makes a big difference in the community, I can guarantee that not one penny of those funds came from God. They came from the people that attended the fundraiser. God's input, in a purely financial sense, is zero.

Religion is not the voice of God directing your life. It's YOU directing your life. God doesn't actually have to do anything - the system runs itself, and there are similar systems for any number of Gods, and a number of them with no Gods. If you want to see the effect God has on someone's life, you'll be struggling; a lot of that effect is not God but those doing what they consider God's work. God's input is indeterminate.

Quote:
And you still haven't answered: by precisely which logical steps have you determined that Windows is 'rational' if you yourself cannot verify its rationality?

You're cottoning on. I can't verify that - my conclusion is irrational. It's taking a non-rational leap, because confirming it rationally would take a long time and might actually be impossible for me. But, like many such leaps, it's not a complete guess. I can look at any small part of Windows and see that it works rationally. I can't be sure they *all* do, or that there isn't an irrational result from some emergent process. But this seems very unlikely given what I know about computers and programming. If you can demonstrate how Windows works irrationally, I'll be happy to change my position on this.

Quote:
"I'm beginning to think "irrational" is continuing to try talking to you..."
Being tied in knots by superior logic would feel like that, and yet like a dog dismissing branches of mathematics perhaps you're missing a bigger picture.

Being irritated by someone who doesn't understand what I'm saying often feels like that.
Dogs do not dismiss mathematics. They don't have a concept of what it even is. If they did, they may respond in the irrational way that humans usually do by labelling it "magic" (or, these days, "technology") and being surprised when it doesn't react the normal way when they turn on the switch.

Very well explained Mr Foolery!

I think the thing people often miss when this is discussed, is that there is not necessarily any value attached to the word rational, or irrational. Both kinds of thinking are useful in different situations. The critique that someone's opinion/assertion is irrational does not necessarily mean it’s bad, it just means that the method used to reach it is faulty. Irrational thought is great for other things, like creative acts. There it is a wonderful gift, and might even be essential in creativity.

But knowledge that is reached through irrational methods isn't reliable, generally. It could be right, but isn't necessarily right. That’s just unreliable information; one might say it isn't even information. And because of that, that’s why people who start talking as if it is reliable get critiqued so harshly.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 1:00 am

NarcissusSavage wrote:
And because of that, that’s why people who start talking as if it is reliable get critiqued so harshly.

The harsh critique is from people who haven't understood that their own perception of rationality is subjective. It's hard to take seriously.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 3:05 am

fraac wrote:
NarcissusSavage wrote:
And because of that, that’s why people who start talking as if it is reliable get critiqued so harshly.

The harsh critique is from people who haven't understood that their own perception of rationality is subjective. It's hard to take seriously.

Rationality is not subjective. Whether or not someone has deluded themselves into believing they are being rational is subjective. Which is kind of my point.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 10:58 am

You're just wrong. Rationality is subjective. Look at Thom who believes savant skills are irrational and my dog's view of the irrationality of arithmetic is irrelevant, meanwhile a computer operating system that he admits he doesn't understand is presumed rational because he, or people like him, could work it out. It's a 100% egocentric viewpoint. Atheists who lack self-awereness are hard to take seriously.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 2:46 pm

fraac wrote:
You're just wrong. Rationality is subjective. Look at Thom who believes savant skills are irrational and my dog's view of the irrationality of arithmetic is irrelevant, meanwhile a computer operating system that he admits he doesn't understand is presumed rational because he, or people like him, could work it out. It's a 100% egocentric viewpoint. Atheists who lack self-awereness are hard to take seriously.

Have you understood anything we've been talking about?
As NarcissusSavage says, there's no "good" or "bad" to rational/irrational thinking. Rational thinking isn't necessarily good and irrational thinking isn't necessarily bad. You can come up with all kinds of nonsense with rational thought if you start with a dodgy premise, or as I once heard, "logic merely allows one to be wrong with authority".

And I didn't say I believe savant skills are irrational. I said I'm not convinced either way. If you're going to misquote me, I may have to return the favour...

fraac wrote:
Thom is a very handsome, intelligent, sexy guy and deserves to be given large amounts of chocolate and money.

There, that'll do it.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 2:57 pm

I don't know why you're bringing good and bad into it. I'm trying to explain how rationality is subjective and it can be quite rational to believe in God. You still haven't demonstrated how you're any different from a dog dismissing arithmetic.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 3:07 pm

Reality is dependent on perception; but some individuals have skewed perceptions of reality (schizophrenics for example). To them it might seem perfectly rational to believe there are constantly satanic butterflies observing them. Does that still mean their perception is just as valid as everyone else?

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 3:10 pm

So you're saying the majority, or the most powerful faction, determine reality?

What if none of us can see reality except through a lens?

dizzywater
Toucan
Toucan

29 Feb 2012, 3:49 pm

Fraac,

I am curious, you are obviously on the "belief in God" side of the fence.

Why do you believe in God? Do you feel there is compelling evidence? If so what is it?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 3:52 pm

fraac wrote:
So you're saying the majority, or the most powerful faction, determine reality?

What if none of us can see reality except through a lens?

If one unquestionably believes in things that are not apparently there I would say they are the ones looking through a lens

Reality determines reality

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 4:49 pm

If anyone has trouble discerning reality, by all means stop looking both ways when you cross the street.

Reality believes in you.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 4:51 pm

dizzywater wrote:
Fraac,

I am curious, you are obviously on the "belief in God" side of the fence.

Why do you believe in God? Do you feel there is compelling evidence? If so what is it?

I don't think I am obviously on that side. I can see that side, and how one could have compelling evidence for it that you couldn't easily transmit to another person. The existence of that kind of evidence - rationally accessible yet not easily spread - doesn't present me with significant problems.

Vigilans wrote:
If one unquestionably believes in things that are not apparently there I would say they are the ones looking through a lens

Apparent to whom? Once again, an atheist casting himself as omniscient isn't a strong argument against God.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 6:08 pm

fraac wrote:
Apparent to whom? Once again, an atheist casting himself as omniscient isn't a strong argument against God.

The argument is not "there is no God." The argument is "there is no evidence to support the existence of God". He hides...

Assuming that things with no evidence do not exist is the default position. It has to be, because the number of things with no evidence tends towards infinity. I don't have any reason to believe in Bigfoot, Smurfs, the Loch Ness Monster, UFOs, ghosts, Cylons, vampires, werewolves, Medusa, dragons, Cerberus, Santa, hobbits, the Easter Bunny, Zeus, Zuul, Osiris, Dr Manhattan, elves, Superman, the Vervoids, unicorns, dogs capable of higher mathematics or the brain of George W Bush, to name but a small and occasionally flippant list of supposedly non-existent things. Why should the deity of one single religion be given special consideration?

The difference between us is that no amount of absence will convince you that God is not there, but if you can show me God (not a book, not the story of a vision, not an appeal to a fallacious argument, not threats of violence or excommunication - actual evidence) I will convert on the spot. Same goes for any of the things listed above.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 6:39 pm

You keep saying there is no evidence and I keep saying you're a dog being confused by arithmetic. Logically, you have to accept either the possibility that there is evidence that isn't currently accessible to you, or that you have a clearer view than everyone else. One of those sounds implausible to me.