Page 4 of 10 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 1:00 pm

TM wrote:
I think Christopher Hitchens statement on the death of Jerry Falwell is quite apt for Breitbart as well "If you gave him an enema, you could have buried him in a matchbox"

Hahaha, that's awesome. I might have to raise you Michael Moore while we're at it though.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

TM
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 1:05 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
TM wrote:
I think Christopher Hitchens statement on the death of Jerry Falwell is quite apt for Breitbart as well "If you gave him an enema, you could have buried him in a matchbox"

Hahaha, that's awesome. I might have to raise you Michael Moore while we're at it though.

I think the reason the right hates Michael Moore so much is because he's pretty much the only left-winger using the same kind of manipulative tools as they are. While some of his documentaries are quite good, "Bowling for Columbine" and "Capitalism: A Love Story" were quite good, others used dodgy rhetoric and manipulative tricks a lot more.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 1:08 pm

TM wrote:

I think the reason the right hates Michael Moore so much is because he's pretty much the only left-winger using the same kind of manipulative tools as they are. While some of his documentaries are quite good, "Bowling for Columbine" and "Capitalism: A Love Story" were quite good, others used dodgy rhetoric and manipulative tricks a lot more.

I once had a 15 minute conversation with Michael Moore. The man is totally devoid of intellectual integrity. He is a willful liar.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 1:15 pm

ruveyn wrote:
TM wrote:

I once had a 15 minute conversation with Michael Moore. The man is totally devoid of intellectual integrity. He is a willful liar.

ruveyn

But the same doesn't apply to Republican propagandists?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 1:26 pm

TM wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
TM wrote:

I could just be too young to remember, ie. I was under 20 prior to the year 2000, but it seemed like the right-wing's use of this kind of vitriol, as far as I could tell, was in retaliation and that most of where all of this stems from was the Ken Star hearings with Bill Clinton. Whether the term impeachment means political vitriol and any elected president should be able to sell nuclear secrets to whatever country he wants or lie under oath in court though still seems to be a rather subjective issue.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 1:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

But the same doesn't apply to Republican propagandists?

Confucius say: Two Wongs do not make a White.

Dishonest people are dishonest regardless of their politics. They are slime.

ruveyn

TM
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 1:35 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
TM wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
TM wrote:

I could just be too young to remember, ie. I was under 20 prior to the year 2000, but it seemed like the right-wing's use of this kind of vitriol, as far as I could tell, was in retaliation and that most of where all of this stems from was the Ken Star hearings with Bill Clinton. Whether the term impeachment means political vitriol and any elected president should be able to sell nuclear secrets to whatever country he wants or lie under oath in court though seems to be a rather subjective issue.

The Ken Starr hearings were a symptom of the "New Right Wing". The Republican Party was taken over by the Evangelicals in the 80s if I remember correctly and since then the political discourse in the US has become much more aggressively hostile. Just look at how the Republicans are doing their "rebuttals" right after the President speaks, this never used to happen. Jan Breuer (or however you spell her name) waving her finger in the President's face, Bill O'reilly constantly interrupting him and so on would never have happened prior to Barack Obama becoming President. Yes, the left-wing did tear into GWB pretty hard, but not to his face.

It was kind of a gentleman's agreement that you can think the President is a complete idiot, but you show him respect in his presence.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 2:00 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
TM wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
TM wrote:

I could just be too young to remember, ie. I was under 20 prior to the year 2000, but it seemed like the right-wing's use of this kind of vitriol, as far as I could tell, was in retaliation and that most of where all of this stems from was the Ken Star hearings with Bill Clinton. Whether the term impeachment means political vitriol and any elected president should be able to sell nuclear secrets to whatever country he wants or lie under oath in court though still seems to be a rather subjective issue.

It didnt come from there. The right wing was vile and crazy during the Clinton years. At the talk radio / grassroots level they believed all kinds of conspiracies. Clinton had a kill list, Arkansas state troopers were his private assassination squad, Hillary was a lesbian and sleeping her way through DC, Hillary slept with Vince Foster then killed him. Even the nuclear secrets nonsense. A complete library of crazy books were written. If you notice your two "examples" happened near the end of Clinton's presidency. They hated him from the start.

The souring happened earlier, during the 80s. The SC hearings were pretty heated and left bad blood.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 2:28 pm

TM wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
If you want to be mad at someone about Weinergate then be mad at Anthony Weiner for being a creepy perv. Breitbart didn't make him post dick pics on Twitter for the world too see and then lie about it.

Here is what bugs me, Newt Gingrich cheats on his first wife while she's ill with cancer, wants an open marriage when the second one gets sick, yet he is on the morals and values crowd.

Weiner on the other hand, sent some pictures of himself, but he didn't physically have sex with anyone, yet he had to resign. Elliot Spitzer was a single guy who slept with a hooker and he had to leave, yet Larry Craig solicited sex in an airport bathroom and he gets to finish his term.

Why is it that democrats need to leave office while republicans don't?

Because, despite all of the overt moralizing, Republicans have lower standards than Democrats do.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 2:30 pm

ruveyn wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Breitbart was instrumental in getting ACORN defunded. That was useful.

ruveyn

I'm just puzzled by the world view of people who thought ACORN was in some way nefarious.

From the Wiki article:

ACORN was shut down in the wake of the September 2009 release of selectively edited videos by two conservative activists including James O'Keefe using a hidden camera to elicit damaging responses from low-level ACORN employees that appeared to advise them how to hide prostitution activities and avoid taxes.[9]

As I said, RICO prosecution was in order.
ruveyn

Ruveyn, do you just not see the 'selectively edited' and 'appeared' parts of that pullquote?
Edited for formatting

Last edited by LKL on 02 Mar 2012, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 2:34 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

I'm just puzzled by the world view of people who thought ACORN was in some way nefarious.

Any familiarity with the saying "Vote early and vote often"? They were essentially one of 'those'.
Noooo...
They paid people to sign up voters, and *acorn* was defrauded by some of *acorn's employees* who submitted voter applications that were not for real people. No actual voting fraud was in the offing, unless you think that "Mickey mouse" was really going to show up at the polls and vote illegally.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 2:43 pm

There were no charges.

Just the edited video provided by a guy who was kicked out of his dorm for referring to black residents as n******s. A guy who later showed up to help organize a "race forum" filled with white nationalist speakers. Which was organized by a friend of his, who himself was later convicted of punching a black woman in the face and calling her a n******.

He also edited the video to imply that he went in dressed as a "pimp", which he did not do. I'm suprised he wasnt carrying a watermelon and singing mammy.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Any familiarity with the saying "Vote early and vote often"? They were essentially one of 'those'.

I am dismayed that you don't understand the difference between voter fraud and voter registration fraud.

Nobody expects Mickey Mouse to show up at a polling place with ID and try to vote.

Federal election laws required ACORN to turn over every registration form with so much as a single pencil mark on it.

Some of the people who worked for ACORN were less than honest.

There was nothing ACORN could legally do about that other than fire them. They still had to turn in the forms.

They even went to the difficulty of separating the questionable forms into their own stacks. But they still were required by law to turn them in.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 3:32 pm

ruveyn wrote:
TM wrote:

ruveyn

I exchanged some email with him once. I agree completely.

I support his goals but not his methods. I feel that he detracts from the legitimacy of the cause.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

simon_says wrote:
There were no charges.

Just the edited video provided by a guy who was kicked out of his dorm for referring to black residents as n******s. A guy who later showed up to help organize a "race forum" filled with white nationalist speakers. Which was organized by a friend of his, who himself was later convicted of punching a black woman in the face and calling her a n******.

He also edited the video to imply that he went in dressed as a "pimp", which he did not do. I'm suprised he wasnt carrying a watermelon and singing mammy.

My God... I seriously didn't realize that that little weasel was that bad!

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 4:47 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
My God... I seriously didn't realize that that little weasel was that bad!

Yeah, it's a recurring theme with him. This bit is something:

Quote:
Meanwhile, O’Keefe lost his job at the Leadership Institute in 2007 after a prank call he made to an Ohio-based Planned Parenthood clinic. During the call, O’Keefe offered a donation to the clinic on the condition that it would be earmarked to pay for aborting African-American fetuses. “Because there’s definitely way too many black people in Ohio,” O’Keefe remarked to the receptionist. “So, I’m just trying to do my part.” Leadership Institute founder Morton Blackwell said O’Keefe’s stunts went beyond the right-wing group’s standards.

http://www.salon.com/2010/02/03/james_o ... ionalists/