Multiculturalism Does Work: A Better World Is Possible

Page 5 of 10 [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 1:26 pm

TheDarkMage wrote:
what you are saying is irrelevent to the current issues.

no it isn't irelevant because you brought it up. you think that other cultures are sullying your precious British culture, but British culture was formed on the basis of many waves of immigration.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 1:27 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
TM wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
hahaha do you really think that the UK is a culture unto itself? apparently you need a history lesson because the modern "culture" of the UK was created by waves of immigration over thousands of years.

Suggestion, take the immigration numbers in total from about year 1800 - 1950, then divide those by the immigration numbers from 1980 - 2012 and you notice a huge increase in the sheer volume of immigration in the last 30 years or so. The volume of immigration in comparison with the existing population has drastically increased and the demographics of the immigrants have largely changed as well.

There is good immigration, where you get hard-workers, with relevant experience or educations from a country which has a similar culture, values and laws.

Then you have bad immigration where you get non-hard workers, with no relevant experience or education from countries that have widely different cultures, values and laws.

hmmmmm bad immigration.... like when the British people came to Canada.

Do you mean the fist wave which consisted of Ex-Brits fleeing the war or the ones after the war of 1812 that were more or less asked to settle there to reduce the French influence and guard against another American invasion attempt? You need to keep in mind that immigration at that time was vastly different from now due to different economic systems. If there is plenty of unowned land or plenty of jobs that need to be filled, immigration is positive. When you have fuck-all jobs or free land then its not because the result is displacement of some group.

Last edited by TM on 20 Mar 2012, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2012, 1:27 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
TheDarkMage wrote:

no it isn't irelevant because you brought it up. you think that other cultures are sullying your precious British culture, but British culture was formed on the basis of many waves of immigration.

and now it cannot cope with any more "waves".

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 1:29 pm

Tequila wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
hmmmmm bad immigration.... like when the British people came to Canada.

I've had this same argument with Irish republicans before (i.e. them dragging up the distant past in order to try to engender guilt for my modern-day politics). Doesn't hold water for me and those who think like me.

If you don't dig up the past, you can't be consequent about it in contemporary times. That's called negationnism, or revisionism. I'm sure you haven't forgotten about what the British did to the Acadians, have you? (Although it can admittedly be granted that they were being stubborn)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 1:31 pm

phil777 wrote:
If you don't dig up the past, you can't be consequent about it in contemporary times.

These same people often end up justifying or approving of terrorist organisations soon after.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 1:33 pm

TheDarkMage wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
TheDarkMage wrote:

and now it cannot cope with any more "waves".

Should've thought about it before mixing it in with the people included in those "waves". <.<

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2012, 1:33 pm

we can debate the history until the cows come home. The history is only relevent to hypothesizing. the fact is that in britain we cannot cope with any more immigrants. This is not history, its real and its happening now and its bad.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 1:34 pm

phil777 wrote:
Should've thought about it before mixing it in with the people included in those "waves". <.<

Or we should have set our immigration policy sensibly. Fat chance of that.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2012, 1:34 pm

phil777 wrote:

pointless comment.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 1:35 pm

TheDarkMage wrote:
pointless comment.

We were too benevolent and it has come back to hurt us.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2012, 1:36 pm

it amazes me how a couple of canadians seem to think that they know the reality of immigration in britain when we see the damage every day.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 1:37 pm

Tequila wrote:
phil777 wrote:
If you don't dig up the past, you can't be consequent about it in contemporary times.

These same people often end up justifying or approving of terrorist organisations soon after.

If you put yourself in the place of the people committing those acts, then yes. If you do not feel any compassion for their plight, then no.

Do you feel that the people that have committed terrorist acts on the USA because it supports Israel and its actions. They are doing what they can for their own (country). While one could argue with the means used, it seems to be the only way to shift attention to their problem.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 1:38 pm

phil777 wrote:
If you put yourself in the place of the people committing those acts, then yes. If you do not feel any compassion for their plight, then no.

I don't generally have much sympathy for people that blow up pubs and shopping centres, no.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 1:39 pm

phil777 wrote:
Do you feel that the people that have committed terrorist acts on the USA because it supports Israel and its actions.

They are the dregs of humanity.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 1:39 pm

TheDarkMage wrote:
it amazes me how a couple of canadians seem to think that they know the reality of immigration in britain when we see the damage every day.

Most of us likely do not know about it well, but we hear enough of it from you guys to get an educated guess about the situation, which allows us to comment or at the very least form an opinion about it.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 1:42 pm

Tequila wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
as above. thanks for translating my joke, visagrunt. along those same lines, many of the things that are seen as uniquely British cultural aspects are either imported from colonies or integrated from immigrants. also, i can't be the only person seeing irony in British people opposing immigration, considering the mass emigration (in the form of colonisation, primarily) they have historically been responsible for

How does this relate to the situation now?

TheDarkMage brought up the culture of Britain as being something to be preserved. i was explaining something he apprarently did not understand about his culture.