Page 4 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 6:28 pm

Joker wrote:
Oh yes that is true I was speaking of the German women of course they would make since in a fasicst state wead out the week so you can make your own society in your twisted standards of perfection.

My point was that forcibly performed sterilisations and abortions on many perfectly good and healthy German women simply because they weren't considered part of the Herrenvolk.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 6:32 pm

Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:
Oh yes that is true I was speaking of the German women of course they would make since in a fasicst state wead out the week so you can make your own society in your twisted standards of perfection.

My point was that forcibly performed sterilisations and abortions on many perfectly good and healthy German women simply because they weren't considered part of the Herrenvolk.

I understood the point you was making when I mean german I mean people born german it is true that many german men and women who were jewish had a disability or wasn't pure german per say faced many evils my german heritage has come a long way since the fall of the third reich but we can never forgive ourselfs for the evils we did it will hunt us until the end of time.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 6:36 pm

I heard Hitler was incensed that African-American Olympic runner Jesse Owens beat the Germans. Not sure if it's true, because later I heard Hitler wasn't present, or walked out for other reasons, or something like that, so I don't know what to believe.
His whole theory that one particular race is better at everything imaginable should have been utterly laughable even at the time. I also always thought it quite odd that he was far from meeting his own blonde standard of the ideal. Like noted open anti-Semite and composer Richard Wagner, I read that Hitler was part Jewish, so this whole Holocaust could have maybe been avoided had he simply learned to accept himself. :?:
He saw flaws in himself, as we all do in ourselves, but mistakenly assumed that the imperfection was because he wasn't fully "of the Aryan race" or whatever.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 6:41 pm

Ragtime wrote:
I heard Hitler was incensed that African-American Olympic runner Jesse Owens beat the Germans. Not sure if it's true, because later I heard Hitler wasn't present, or walked out for other reasons, or something like that, so I don't know what to believe.
His whole theory that one particular race is better at everything imaginable should have been utterly laughable even at the time. I also always thought it quite odd that he was far from meeting his own blonde standard of the ideal. Like noted open anti-Semite and composer Richard Wagner, I read that Hitler was part Jewish, so this whole Holocaust could have maybe been avoided had he simply learned to accept himself. :?:

Hitler was a evil human being with a ego problem and obessed with german perfection he was also not pure german and was austrian but the germans loved Hitler. none of them would turn on them because he was so good at lying he would say the same lie over and over again that the german people started to believe it this is even true how republicans and democrats behave as well they all lie.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 7:10 pm

Ragtime wrote:
He saw flaws in himself, as we all do in ourselves, but mistakenly assumed that the imperfection was because he wasn't fully "of the Aryan race" or whatever.

It is true, Hitler was indeed incensed that Owens had won the gold. But the press had made a big stink about Hitler not meeting with Owens to shake his hand, when in fact, Hitler had ceased greeting the Olympic winners prior to that. I suspect Hitler still wouldn't have.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 7:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

It is true, Hitler was indeed incensed that Owens had won the gold. But the press had made a big stink about Hitler not meeting with Owens to shake his hand, when in fact, Hitler had ceased greeting the Olympic winners prior to that. I suspect Hitler still wouldn't have.

Hitler shaking a Black mans hand would never happen he was to much of a racist to ever do so how ever he would be more then happy to shake David Dukes hand :lol:

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 2:37 am

Ragtime wrote:

Hitler didn't snub Jesse Owens, it was Roosevelt. Hitler even sent a follow-up telegram.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 12:46 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
snapcap wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
snapcap wrote:
That seems like an experience you should hear about when the benefits of unions are discussed, but I don't think that's a common experience, from everything I've been told and been through myself.

I think your story is a becoming a small slice of the union experience, especially if you're in the States.

My impression as an outsider has been, in Canada at least, that unions tend to benefit the members despite the internal beurocracy and occasional bout of stupidity. It is the business owners and the government that are the ones who do not benefit because they have to pay higher wages etc.

The union company that I worked for did have people that really did benefit from the unions, but it is a different generation that benefited than the new one. The benefits have eroded away. I guess they have for sometime, more for others, as my father worked many union jobs. Note "many".

Some of the reason they've stopped working so well is because:
a) Our society is increasingly dominated by the finance and service sectors sectors, which for some reason are harder to unionise. As such unions have lost some of their relevance and their support among the genera public (because fewer people are members).
b) Many of unions' collective bargaining rights were taken away during the Reagan-Thatcher years, weakening them considerably.

Which is why they aren't very good anymore. All they are good for is taking money away from you once a month(unless you're new, then they take more) and shoving it to democratic candidates, and treating themselves to mustang convertibles. I could share some personal stories as to why the unions suck BADLY.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 2:20 pm

snapcap wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
snapcap wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
snapcap wrote:
That seems like an experience you should hear about when the benefits of unions are discussed, but I don't think that's a common experience, from everything I've been told and been through myself.

I think your story is a becoming a small slice of the union experience, especially if you're in the States.

My impression as an outsider has been, in Canada at least, that unions tend to benefit the members despite the internal beurocracy and occasional bout of stupidity. It is the business owners and the government that are the ones who do not benefit because they have to pay higher wages etc.

The union company that I worked for did have people that really did benefit from the unions, but it is a different generation that benefited than the new one. The benefits have eroded away. I guess they have for sometime, more for others, as my father worked many union jobs. Note "many".

a) Our society is increasingly dominated by the finance and service sectors sectors, which for some reason are harder to unionise. As such unions have lost some of their relevance and their support among the genera public (because fewer people are members).
b) Many of unions' collective bargaining rights were taken away during the Reagan-Thatcher years, weakening them considerably.

Which is why they aren't very good anymore. All they are good for is taking money away from you once a month(unless you're new, then they take more) and shoving it to democratic candidates, and treating themselves to mustang convertibles. I could share some personal stories as to why the unions suck BADLY.

At least that's what the anti-union side of the argument claims.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 3:19 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
snapcap wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
snapcap wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
snapcap wrote:

Well for me and people I know, it's fact.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen unions as benefiting people that want to expose the crap the union get's away with so that they can be voted in next election so they can carry out their own crap. :wink:

I doubt it's localized, I'm sure people everywhere can benefit from that!

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 4:09 pm

snapcap wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
snapcap wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
snapcap wrote:

As I am a complete outsider to unions I can't comment on corruption. But in Canada you see a huge pay gap between unionised and ununionised jobs. Ununionised jobs of similar difficulty are often paid at or near minimum wage, while unionised ones tend to pay a comfortable income. But unions do have stronger bargaining rights in Canada. And they aren't allowed to donate to a political party any more, so dues isn't spent that way.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 4:14 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
snapcap wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
snapcap wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
snapcap wrote:

As I am a complete outsider to unions I can't comment on corruption. But in Canada you see a huge pay gap between unionised and ununionised jobs. Ununionised jobs of similar difficulty are often paid at or near minimum wage, while unionised ones tend to pay a comfortable income. But unions do have stronger bargaining rights in Canada. And they aren't allowed to donate to a political party any more, so dues isn't spent that way.

I'm not saying unionized jobs are inherently bad, but from everything I've seen, the reality of how they are ran doesn't correspond to the image they made for themselves.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 5:04 pm

snapcap wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
snapcap wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
snapcap wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
snapcap wrote:

Well for me and people I know, it's fact.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen unions as benefiting people that want to expose the crap the union get's away with so that they can be voted in next election so they can carry out their own crap. :wink:

I doubt it's localized, I'm sure people everywhere can benefit from that!

While I know for a fact that my Dad's old Steel Workers Union had contributed to the Democrats, they still had fought for, and maintained, high pay and benefits for him and his fellow workers - and that's all that matters to me.
By the way, at their height of power under Jimmy Hoffa, the Teamsters who were arguably the dirtiest, most mobbed up union in America, had supported the Republicans.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 5:14 pm

In the Netherlands, I suppose D66 or the PvdA are the parties that would do most for someone in my position.
They're both centre-left, and they're most lenient when it comes to government grants for students and investments in research and education.
Additionally, they're opposition parties that oppose the blunt budget cuts currently destroying our economy.

In the United States, I suppose the Democrats would do more for me, but that's assuming I can choose one out of two, as no other parties stand a chance.
If I had voting rights in England, the official viewpoints of the Liberal Democrats suit me, but I'd vote Labour in England because the Liberal Democrats have turned out a spectacular failure.
In Scotland, I'd probably end up voting for the SNP, as I find their goals noble and they've shown themselves capable of governing Scotland and increasing their victory margin in the elections afterwards.

Basically, viewpoints are one thing, competence is another. That's my approach to voting.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 5:44 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
but I'd vote Labour in England because the Liberal Democrats have turned out a spectacular failure.

People who voted LD in England really shouldn't be surprised that things turned out like they did. A look at their manifesto - their long-standing support for PR - and history (the Lib-Lab Pact!) should have given some idea of how they'd behave.

Pity the LDs aren't a genuinely liberal party but are mostly authoritarian social democrats, like the other two main parties.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 7:12 pm

Tequila wrote:
HisDivineMajesty wrote:
but I'd vote Labour in England because the Liberal Democrats have turned out a spectacular failure.

People who voted LD in England really shouldn't be surprised that things turned out like they did. A look at their manifesto - their long-standing support for PR - and history (the Lib-Lab Pact!) should have given some idea of how they'd behave.

Pity the LDs aren't a genuinely liberal party but are mostly authoritarian social democrats, like the other two main parties.

The Lib-Dems and the other main parties are well to the right of true social democrats. (Or perhaps I should just give in to the fact that social democrats are now essentially conservative by the standards of the '80s.) And the Lib-Dems are the most socially liberal of the major 3. It's just that that's not saying much. The only party that is more socially liberal (in general--I know that there are factions of other parties that might be more so) are the Greens. Of course, they are hardly fiscally liberal.