God sacrificed his only son to absolve our sins???

Page 2 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2012, 10:00 am

edgewaters wrote:
Child sacrifice is just a recurring motif in the myths and religions of the area. The Canaanites and Phoenicians practiced it, and modern archaeology and anthropology seems to suggest that the Hebrews were an offshoot of Canaanite culture. It would also seem that the Hebrews themselves practiced it from time to time, particularly in connection with the Valley of Hinnom. See for instance Ezek. 20:25-26, not to mention numerous accounts of Israelites making child sacrifice to pagan gods as well (eg 1 Kgs. 11:7-8, 2 Kings. 3:26-27, 2 Kgs. 17:16-18, 2 Kgs. 16:2-3, 2 Kings 17:7, 2 Kgs. 21:6, 2 Chron. 33:6, 2 Kgs. 23:10, Jer. 32:35, Jer. 19:3-5, Ezek. 16:20-21)

Yeah, they're still doing it to this day... The old pagan sacrifices and such were considered to be mercy in that children were slain for being bad before they had the chance to grow up and realize that they had been lied to about all of the religious stuff and were actually handing themselves over to their punishment their entire lives. So they died with little anguish truly believing that they were being given to their gods and would live forever in pagan heaven.

This is why we must have a segregated society. Why Atheists must be separate from the religious, because they truly believe that abusing their kids is the right thing to do. Even though they don't kill their children, they still curse them into a life of suffering an ignorance. We need to end human sacrifice!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 10:01 am

The Father should be charged with child abuse.

ruveyn

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2012, 10:04 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Religion should be dissolved and forever banned as a form of child abuse.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 10:05 am

webcam wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

You have something against Bhuddism or Ethical Humanism?

ruveyn

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 10:24 am

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
I'm getting a little tired of all the blasphemy. That's all I want to say right now. I don't think it proves or conveys anything except what is in the hearts of those who speak it.

That's the beauty of free speech, though, isn't it?

Blasphemy is the beauty of free speech? Since you asked me, no, blaspheming God is not the beauty of free speech, as a matter of fact. But I can see why blasphemy is beautiful to you. Blasphemy is actually the ugliness of free speech. The beauty of free speech is when creation praises its Creator.

LunaticOnTheGrass
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2012, 10:28 am

Quote:
The beauty of free speech is when creation praises its Creator.

Similarly to how North Korea praises the Eternal President?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 10:33 am

webcam wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitutionary_atonement

From what I understand, as far as theories, substitutionary atonement is actually a rather latecomer to the ballgame.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransom_theory_of_atonement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christus_Victor

For some further reading on the subject. It's a bit complex to explain in a little messageboard post, but those two things should be enough of a springboard for you to go off.

Quote:
The orthodox St. Athanasius proposed a theory of the atonement which similarly states that sin leads to death and God warned Adam about this, and so, to remain consistent with Himself must have Jesus die for sins, or have humankind die. This has some similarity to the Satisfaction view, although St. Athanasius emphasized the fact that this death is effective because of our unity with Christ, rather than emphasizing a legal substitution and that when Jesus descended into Hades (variously, the underworld or Hell) he eliminated death with His own death (since no power can hold Jesus's soul in Hades) .[4]

But yeah, Satisfaction wasn't really on the radar as a viewpoint (unless you count possibly Augustine's writings) in Christianity until 1100s or 1200s. But, books upon books have been written about the subject, and yeah...

So let me see if I get this Christus Victor stuff right... Jesus has become a reverse concept of some sort? So basically he is the allegory of any person caught in true belief in religion. In essence, those who believed Jesus died for their sins in a mystical transsubstantiation thingy or remain ignorant of the real allegory are actually the ones who are suffering in ignorance. It is they who are suffering because all are taught religion in one form or another and if you aren't the people they like, they don't tell you how it works. So the "evil" people suffer in ignorance and identifiable to all those who are judged to be "good" by their understanding of communication? No wonder there are so many Atheist Aspies. Does anyone else see what's going on here?

I think this is rather something of a torture. But I guess this is what they allegory it to... Still it is a very disgusting way of raising children. I'll be sure to make sure mine are Atheists... So how do you tell someone that their story tells a different story?

Well personally as far as the Christus Victor view in particular, I'm not in complete agreement with it, as yeah, it does sort of make everything super weird philosophical abstract thing. First off, I hate abstractions, as that's just the way I am, but I will explain now what I personally think how atonement works, it's pretty consistent with other Orthodox Christian writers, too.

So we have Adam and Eve, the first humans, who sinned by eating the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. By this sin, they were cursed, kicked out of Paradise and out of communion with God. In the Garden of Eden, God walked among them and just talked to them. God said if they ate of the tree, they'd surely die. So thus, death has entered into the world. Interestingly (I am a Young Earth Creationist, actually) if you read the genealogy years people lived in Genesis, Adam lived to be like 900something years old, along with most other people of that time, and as you read further ahead, the years old people live to, it drops off like a rock after the flood, and then once you get to the time of like...Israel, it's pretty much "normal" years lived. But, main point, death and sin entered the world through Adam and Eve's sin. So humanity after that, got gradually worse and more sinful.

Now Jesus Christ.
Quote:
And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."

This is God talking to Eve and the serpent. The striking of the serpent's heel, well, was Jesus Christ.
Quote:
For since by man came death, by man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. (15:20&21.)

Quote:
And so it is written, “The first man became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. However the spiritual is not the first but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second man is the Lord from heaven. (1 Corinthians 15:45-47.)

Jesus is the last Adam in that, whereas Adam imparted sinful nature to humanity, Jesus imparts eternal life with humanity. Whereas Adam broke spiritual communion with God by his disobedience, Jesus restored our union with God, because as God, he became incarnate as a human, and basically imparted God's nature to humans that believe in Jesus Christ. This concept is called "Theosis" and is the point of Christianity, union with God again, as humanity's purpose was to fellowship with God, and be God's friends. With Jesus being the Last Adam, an interesting thing too, most people don't know, the Virgin Mary, was the Last Eve, if you would. By marrying being obedient and giving birth to Jesus, she did the opposite of Eve, and just as Eve's sin affected Adam, Mary's obedience allowed Jesus to be incarnate, which is why the Orthodox and Catholics revere her so much, as she's a model of obedience to God for us all. But yes, the incarnation restores to us the union of God and man through Jesus Christ.

I still gotta write about Jesus's death itself, as that seems to be your main question, so I'll save that for a couple hours from now, as I gotta get a shower and go skating, but yeah. God bless.

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2012, 10:43 am

Ragtime wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
I'm getting a little tired of all the blasphemy. That's all I want to say right now. I don't think it proves or conveys anything except what is in the hearts of those who speak it.

Blasphemy is the beauty of free speech? Since you asked me, no, blaspheming God is not the beauty of free speech, as a matter of fact. But I can see why blasphemy is beautiful to you. Blasphemy is actually the ugliness of free speech. The beauty of free speech is when creation praises its Creator.

Thankfully the Founding Fathers disagreed with you and gave free speech (as well as political power) to everyone (warning: this may not apply in non-USA nations). Which is both the wonderful and frustrating bit, since to enjoy my freedom of speech I have to give other people theirs, even if I find them factually incorrect (Flat Earthers), stupid (Jehova's Witness, vaccine theorists), malevolent (KKK) or a delightful combination of the above (Holocaust Deniers).

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 10:53 am

I find it fascinating that many Christians are more than willing to spend all day and all night attacking the Theory of Evolution. But, try to engage the same Christian in a discussion where he is asked to defend the most fundamental aspects of his own belief system, and he will call you a "blasphemer", consign you to the section of Hell especially reserved for blasphemers, and walk away.

Do I detect a rather profound level of insecurity?

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2012, 11:00 am

ruveyn wrote:
webcam wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

You have something against Bhuddism or Ethical Humanism?

ruveyn

They don't believe in a god, so I guess they are good on that front, but if they are willing to delude a person for life the way buddhism makes monks... then yes, I think they should be outlawed. Buddhism is genocidal on that front. Not sure what Ethical Humanism is, but if it will allow people to live a belief that the teachers or people behind them know aren't true... then I don't like them either. Like I said I don't believe in the abuse of anyone, especially not long term abuse of a person from birth until death, which can happen with religions in general, esp. w/ Christianity.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 11:01 am

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

Thankfully the Founding Fathers disagreed with you and gave free speech (as well as political power) to everyone (warning: this may not apply in non-USA nations). Which is both the wonderful and frustrating bit, since to enjoy my freedom of speech I have to give other people theirs, even if I find them factually incorrect (Flat Earthers), stupid (Jehova's Witness, vaccine theorists), malevolent (KKK) or a delightful combination of the above (Holocaust Deniers).

Where in there did the Founding Fathers disagree with me?

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2012, 11:04 am

Ragtime wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

The beauty of free speech is the permission to dissent openly. Nothing about religion except my parents and the many generation of their parents getting pregnant has anything to do with my creation. Someone who gives their offspring lies is not a creator. You need to stop believing, this stuff is giving your brain damage.

LunaticOnTheGrass
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2012, 11:06 am

Quote:
Where in there did the Founding Fathers disagree with me?

I'm fairly certain that the Christian God is not mentioned in either the Bill of Rights nor the Constitution in any way whatsoever. However, the term "endowed by their creator" is. What is that creator, though? Well, it could be "God". It could be Allah, or Brahman, or the Big Bang, or a slow process of painstaking biological evolution. This offers a fair amount of free speech to determine, in and of itself.

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2012, 11:09 am

Additionally there's the numerous founding fathers that had a serious axe to grind about Christianity: I'm pretty sure it was Jefferson that re-wrote the Bible by taking out all the magical bits, at least one is on record as saying, "Christianity is the most perverse system of thought to ever afflict mankind," et cetera.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 11:11 am

webcam wrote:

They don't believe in a god, so I guess they are good on that front, but if they are willing to delude a person for life the way buddhism makes monks... then yes, I think they should be outlawed. Buddhism is genocidal on that front. Not sure what Ethical Humanism is, but if it will allow people to live a belief that the teachers or people behind them know aren't true... then I don't like them either. Like I said I don't believe in the abuse of anyone, especially not long term abuse of a person from birth until death, which can happen with religions in general, esp. w/ Christianity.

Never the less they are religions. Religions do not necessarily require the believe in a god. A religion consists of regular practices and to some extent rituals. What goes on in North Korea, the worship of Kim etc is as much a religion as is Christianity or Islam.

ruveyn

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2012, 11:11 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
I find it fascinating that many Christians are more than willing to spend all day and all night attacking the Theory of Evolution. But, try to engage the same Christian in a discussion where he is asked to defend the most fundamental aspects of his own belief system, and he will call you a "blasphemer", consign you to the section of Hell especially reserved for blasphemers, and walk away.

Do I detect a rather profound level of insecurity?

We must focus on setting them free, when religion has a stronghold on a person, they don't know what they are arguing. Let us not attack them. Let us instead educate them... though this is an arduous task.