CISPA -- The end of Internet privacy may be days away

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 7:13 am

I started >this thread (link)<, a while ago, but it seems to get very little attention in the news section of this forum. Due to the heated debates of this forum section, I'm hoping that it will attract much more attention and discussion, here.

It is now DAYS AWAY until the voting. Spread around about this to as many as you can, as it well may be too late, soon, otherwise. If you don't do it, who will? If you are able to, organize non-violent demonstrations in your country - do whatever you can to stop this law.

Quoted from the Avaaz.org newsletter:

Quote:
Dear friends,

Right now, corporations like Microsoft and Facebook are supporting a powerful new law that would allow the US to spy on almost everything we do online. But if enough of us speak out, we can demand that the corporations withdraw their support and stop the cyber-spying.

Right now, the US is poised to pass a new law that would permit US agents to spy on almost everything we do online. But we can stop them before the final vote.

Companies that we trust with our personal information, like Microsoft and Facebook, are key supporters of this bill that lets corporations share all user activity and content with US government agents without needing a warrant in the name of cyber-security -- nullifying privacy guarantees for almost everyone around the world, no matter where we live and surf online.

If enough of us speak out, we can stop companies that profit from our business from supporting cyber-spying. Sign the petition to these key net corporations now:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_corporate_global/?vl

The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) would allow companies doing business in the US to collect exact records of all of our online activities and hand them over to the US government, without ever notifying us that we are being watched. No warrant, no legal cause and no due process required. To make matters worse, the bill provides the government and corporations with blanket immunity to protect them from being sued for violation of privacy and other illegal actions.

The bill’s supporters claim that consumer information will be protected, but the reality is that huge loopholes would make everything we do online fair game -- and nowadays, from banking to shopping, our private information is all stored on the Internet.

CISPA is being moved forward in Congress and will be voted upon in days. Let’s raise a massive outcry to stop corporations from giving the US a blank check to monitor our every move. Click below to take action:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_corporate_global/?vl

This year, we helped stop SOPA, PIPA and ACTA -- all dire threats to the Internet. Now, let’s block CISPA and end the US government attack on our Internet.

WIth hope and determination,

Dalia, Allison, Emma, Ricken, Rewan, Andrew, Wen-Hua, and the rest of the Avaaz team

More information:

CISPA: The internet finds a new enemy (Global Post)
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/gl ... enemy-sopa

CISPA protests begin amid key changes to legislation (Los Angeles Times)
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la ... 4596.story

Cybersecurity Bill FAQ: The Disturbing Privacy Dangers in CISPA and How To Stop It (Electronic Frontier Foundation)
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/04/c ... ou-stop-it

New CISPA Draft Narrows Cybersecurity Language as Protests Loom (Mashable)
http://news.yahoo.com/cispa-draft-narro ... 02431.html

Be sure to sign the previous petition, too:

www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa/?vl

LunaticOnTheGrass
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2012, 8:08 am

May I be the first to post on this thread that our elected representatives don't seem to be doing a lot of representing us at this point?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Apr 2012, 8:35 am

these psychos won't rest until they smash all freedom we have the internet

we'll be logging in with our government provided username and passwords before it is all over

for our own safety of course

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 9:52 am

Jacoby wrote:

we'll be logging in with our government provided username and passwords before it is all over

So true. The sad part is it will inevitably happen eventually, but determined people will at least fight to keep it at bay as long as possible. :salut:

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 9:59 am

Subotai wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

So true. The sad part is it will inevitably happen eventually, but determined people will at least fight to keep it at bay as long as possible. :salut:

it is very far from inevitable,

they simply want to stop direct democracy before they are put out of office.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 10:04 am

O.K. this will give the government boys a thrill a minute:

kill, bomb, burn, sabotage, White House, wreck, President, slay, destroy, attack, subvert.

The NSA computers will go into a loop picking up all this indicator words from one source.

ruveyn

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 10:13 am

ruveyn wrote:

kill, bomb, burn, sabotage, White House, wreck, President, slay, destroy, attack, subvert.

The NSA computers will go into a loop picking up all this indicator words from one source.

ruveyn

hehe good one,

someone should include them in the comments sent to the local dhcp server,

all traffic would light up,.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 11:15 am

Oodain wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

hehe good one,

someone should include them in the comments sent to the local dhcp server,

all traffic would light up,.

You realized, I hope, they we will probably end up in the same Gulag.

ruveyn

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 11:16 am

I blame all of the idiots that trusted our tech to guys like Microsoft and Facebook.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 11:44 am

Kill Every President and Congressman and Senator.

Anyone like my band name?

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

PM
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 12:21 pm

Here we go again. :roll:

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 3:37 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
I blame all of the idiots that trusted our tech to guys like Microsoft and Facebook.

Not everyone has the chance to be informed in the way they should be, though.

Monday is the day when the voting will take place - be sure to spread the word about this, quickly.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 3:47 pm

Beauty_pact wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

Not everyone has the chance to be informed in the way they should be, though.

Monday is the day when the voting will take place - be sure to spread the word about this, quickly.
Well, it is like Christians and going to hell. If you didn't consciously decide towards Facebook and Microsoft, then I am fine with you. If you knew of alternatives and the repercussions of sticking with Microsoft or Apple anyway, then really, thanks for screwing technology.

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 12:21 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Well, it is like Christians and going to hell. If you didn't consciously decide towards Facebook and Microsoft, then I am fine with you. If you knew of alternatives and the repercussions of sticking with Microsoft or Apple anyway, then really, thanks for screwing technology.

Well, I for one have deactivated the Facebook account that I mainly had for activism, after finding out that they support this. I knew they were bad, and only reluctantly got a Facebook account, but I didn't know it was THIS bad, so after this, it's bye bye to them, and I hope many others will make the same decision, due to these recent events, and future ones that are sure to come to light. Unfortunately, so many people are so used to flaunting every detail of their lives, nowadays, that I'm pretty sure that most just don't really care about CISPA - general people are simply too stupid to get it. 2012 truly seems to be the year of the end of privacy, even in the more open world. At least the Internet-hostile ACTA law seems to be going down, in Europe, but that'd only be one win among so many losses. I actually have to say that I am starting to lose hope. It's only so much that one can do when people just won't listen. They just want to keep going with their everyday lives, without anyone disturbing their deeply flawed view of how things are going to turn out, without their help and assistance. Some countries, like the USA, already are too far gone, in that regard... in parts of Europe, there still is reason for hope, but overall, things keep looking bleaker and bleaker. It is good that I myself, at least, plan to live a rather short life, in this world - I just hope that everything won't become complete crap, in Sweden, as well, before I finally leave this world.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm

Oodain wrote:
Subotai wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

it is very far from inevitable,

they simply want to stop direct democracy before they are put out of office.

The internet is to valuable a source of influence, it may happen this year, in 5, 10, 20... but it will happen.

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2012, 6:26 pm

Anyway i can hide myself and good luck Canadian,American or whatever government to find me! Nobody will tell me what to do. Not same government.