Do you ever get sick of cynics/misanthropes?

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 10:10 pm

Declension wrote:
I strongly dislike a certain type of cynic, which I might call the "George Carlin" type since they all seem to worship George Carlin. These people are just intellectually lazy. They have an unshakeable conviction that they can see through the lies and that everyone else is an ignorant sheep. But when you actually talk to them about the important questions, you discover that they are extremely misinformed about most topics.

According to the definition I don't see how George Carlin or people who like that sort of humour are cynics. It's satirical, people like me think its funny that a lot of people miss the point being made because they take it too seriously. I mean there are bands like this that people get offended by when they are just being satirical. I mean George Carlin probably did not really hate everyone anymore than the members of death metal bands actually brutally murder people, its not for serious.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 10:13 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
I guess the reason cynics and misanthropes annoy me is because I think their pessimism is limiting to our species. Like the more cynics there are, the less chance there is at disarmament, or conquering disease, or a variety of problems we could solve if we were a bit more idealistic.

Reality means more than ideals ever will. If reality doesn't fit the ideals, that's tough s**t for idealists.

You will reap what you've sown.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:11 pm

UnLoser wrote:
I strongly agree with pretty much everything CrazyCatLord has posted in this thread.

I think what people call cynicism is really just a realistic, neutral viewpoint about the world; seeing things for what they are, not affected by the irrational optimism that most people have. And I don't think cynics hold back positive change either, or at least not all of them.

I strongly agree with pretty much everything posted by CrazyCatLord period 8)

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:15 pm

abacacus wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
I guess the reason cynics and misanthropes annoy me is because I think their pessimism is limiting to our species. Like the more cynics there are, the less chance there is at disarmament, or conquering disease, or a variety of problems we could solve if we were a bit more idealistic.

Reality means more than ideals ever will. If reality doesn't fit the ideals, that's tough sh** for idealists.

And what`s more, I feel if we can accept reality for what it is and try to understand it fearlessly we see it`s true raw beauty.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:16 pm

abacacus wrote:
Reality means more than ideals ever will. If reality doesn't fit the ideals, that's tough sh** for idealists.

Idealists have been changing reality since forever (not always for the best, either).

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:19 pm

edgewaters wrote:
abacacus wrote:

Idealists have been changing reality since forever (not always for the best, either).

Good point. Idealists are an engine of social change.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:19 pm

edgewaters wrote:
abacacus wrote:

Only to an extent. An idealist can not change human nature, and human nature is not a pleasant thing.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:21 pm

abacacus wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
abacacus wrote:

Only to an extent. An idealist can not change human nature, and human nature is not a pleasant thing.

I look at human nature as an extension of the nature of life, choking out the competition to reach the sunlight.
Our core selfishness is a symptom of the driving force behind evolution.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:25 pm

Cynicism? That sounds f*cking pointless

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:25 pm

Subotai wrote:
abacacus wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
abacacus wrote:

I look at human nature as an extension of the nature of life, choking out the competition to reach the sunlight.
Our core selfishness is a symptom of the driving force behind evolution.

Precisely. Our drive to survive, at any cost. Human kinds only advantages where intelligence, and a RIDICULOUS amount of tenacity. As a species, we never give up without a fight.

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 May 2012, 11:33 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
SpiritBlooms wrote:
You know, I can think of at least one instance of idealism causing trouble. The paperless credit default swap was voted for in Congress by politicians who never dreamed it would wind up paralyzing our credit system and causing a global economic collapse. Maybe they should have seen that, and if they'd been more cynical and even misanthropic they wouldn't have let that happen. But then maybe I'm an idealist for thinking they had good intentions.

Not an idealist for thinking they had good intentions, a typical skeptic. :D

or maybe they knew exactly what they were doing.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 2:03 am

donnie_darko wrote:

no. but i do try to convert them to the light side, where we have free love and cookies.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 2:53 am

Off the top of my head, some of my favorite curmudgeons include:

Mark Twain
Christopher Hitchens
George Carlin

Some of Carlin's final performances were a little too cynical for my taste. Not that he didn't make good points. He seemed to get more and more cynical toward the end, but that was probably because the world situation was getting worse. I think I didn't enjoy his later performances because they reminded me that things were kind of depressing. I do realize that things could be worse, and I am not so cynical as to believe that they will not get better.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 2:55 am

Duplicate post.

Last edited by Rocky on 04 May 2012, 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 2:56 am

hyperlexian wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

no. but i do try to convert them to the light side, where we have free love and cookies.

The light side sounds great! I'll have a cookie and some nookie. :lol:

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 2:57 am

Rocky wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

The light side sounds great! I'll have a cookie and some nookie. :lo :lol: l:

i totally didn't see that coming!! !!

COOKIES AND NOOKIES ALL AROUND!! !!