Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 12:53 pm

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I have something I need to get off of my chest.

I don't know how many of you follow the religious side of the news, but over the past few days there's been a lot of news coming out of the Methodist General Conference that has personally disappointed me. To make a long story short, they voted first to do away with guaranteed appointments and to not divest from Israel. Yesterday, with a full-blown protest going on in the back, they voted to keep members of the LGBT community out of the Church and shut down the session early due to the protest.

The first two issues, while somewhat discearning, don't really bother me that much. But yesterday's issue, probably for the first time in my life, made me ashamed to be a Methodist. Even though I'm straight and don't have any friends who are LGBT, I personally felt that not only it was a shortsided move but the manner in which it was handled was completely unprofessional. Personally, I don't view people of the LGBT community as sinners or wrongdoers. I may not agree with their views of sexuality, but I also feel I, as a human, am not fit to judge them the way that they were judged by the delegates yesterday. I've always felt that it's impossible to comprehend what exactly God thinks is right or wrong since we're imperfect beings and He's, well, God.

I still plan to be a Christian and a Methodist after all this, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll agree with their Book of Discipline 100%. I personally believe that ALL people are equal in God's eye, no matter what they may do or believe. So from the bottom of this Methodist's heart, if you think badly on Methodism after this week's Conference, on behalf of them, I apologize.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 2:40 pm

while the sentiment shows your intentions i still think apologies are absolutely irrelevant, what we need is people like you to teach those of lesser understanding instead.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 2:42 pm

Oodain wrote:
while the sentiment shows your intentions i still think apologies are absolutely irrelevant, what we need is people like you to teach those of lesser understanding instead.

I liked his apology :wink:

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 2:45 pm

Oodain wrote:

I completely agree with you. The problem is getting those individuals to actually listen.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 2:46 pm

crmoore wrote:
Oodain wrote:

I completely agree with you. The problem is getting those individuals to actually listen.

I will listen.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 2:54 pm

How do you justify being a part of something you don't agree with?

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 2:56 pm

snapcap wrote:

A lot of methodist don't agree with the same things we still have our own opinons.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 3:05 pm

Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:

A lot of methodist don't agree with the same things we still have our own opinons.

Yeah but if the disagreement is that important, you could just organize into another group.

I guess it's not that important. :wink:

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 3:07 pm

snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:

Yeah but if the disagreement is that important, you could just organize into another group.

We actually do that and I organized a methdoist group that supports the LGBT community same sex marriage ect :wink:

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 3:10 pm

Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:

We actually do that and I organized a methdoist group that supports the LGBT community same sex marriage ect :wink:

Why would you identify with and support a group you disagree with?

EDIT: Especially when there are many with the same disagreement.

Last edited by snapcap on 04 May 2012, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 3:11 pm

Bible says
1. Love one another, for God is love.
2. Judge not, lest ye be judged.

So basically:
It's people's job to love each other.
It's God's job to judge souls.
Has the Methodist council confused itself with God?

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 3:11 pm

snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:

Not that I disagree with their core beliefs I disagree with people not wanting others to have the samw basic human rights.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 3:14 pm

Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:

Not that I disagree with their core beliefs I disagree with people not wanting others to have the samw basic human rights.

So basically the LGBT issue isn't important enough to leave over?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 3:15 pm

I was a United Methodist a long time ago. It becomes difficult when a political thing is coming up, and people are looking for the church to take a stand, one way or the other. Usually it is something about homosexuality. If the church goes one way, then a certain number of people will get mad and quit the church. And, if the church goes the other way, then a certain number of people will get mad and quit the church. Which has left the church in a downward spiral.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 3:17 pm

snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:

So basically the LGBT issue isn't important enough to leave over?

With the Older generation yes with the younger generation no. Do you support everythng your politcal party stands for?

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 3:19 pm

Joker wrote:

With the Older generation yes with the younger generation no. Do you support everythng your politcal party stands for?

No, but if the issue was big enough and the divide was felt by many more people, I would think it's time to form an offshoot.