Sinn Fein wants referendum on Irish unification

Page 3 of 13 [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:52 pm

Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:
I am sure it could happen though maybe not in 2014 but in a few or a couple of years from now Irleand will become one.

It won't happen for a very long time yet, if ever. The Nationalist vote isn't there and won't be for decades, if ever.

It could things change nothing stays the same forever :wink:

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:19 pm

Never let it be said that joker's romanticism is tempered by fact, logic or good sense.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:25 pm

Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:
Michael Collins signed the treaty to stop the war though he was against it I still love Michael Collins a true Irish hero.

You just said you wanted a United Ireland like this:

Now, I'm totally in favour of that United Ireland. Are you?

Nien

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:26 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Never let it be said that joker's romanticism is tempered by fact, logic or good sense.

So your not Romantic?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:42 pm

Joker wrote:
Nien

You can't even spell the German word for "no" properly.

I refer to this:

Joker wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
Joker wrote:
I am sure it could happen though maybe not in 2014 but in a few or a couple of years from now Irleand will become one.

Once the government of the Republic collapses under its own current account deficit and seeks readmission to the United Kingdom, perhaps?

If Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland start to outperform Eire, economically, it might be just as much an option.

:wink:

Now that would be great to see. All Europena countries should be one I think all countries should be independent countries.

You agreed that a United Ireland (within the United Kingdom) was a good thing, buddykins!

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save The Queen
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save The Queen.

O Lord, our God, arise,
Scatter her enemies,
And make them fall.
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save The Queen!

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:46 pm

Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:
Nien

You can't even spell the German word for "no" properly.

I refer to this:

Joker wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
Joker wrote:

Once the government of the Republic collapses under its own current account deficit and seeks readmission to the United Kingdom, perhaps?

If Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland start to outperform Eire, economically, it might be just as much an option.

Now that would be great to see. All Europena countries should be one I think all countries should be independent countries.

You agreed that a United Ireland (within the United Kingdom) was a good thing, buddykins!

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save The Queen
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save The Queen.

O Lord, our God, arise,
Scatter her enemies,
And make them fall.
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save The Queen!

It was a typo Nein how is that grammar nazi :wink:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 8:20 pm

Joker wrote:

You're avoiding my main submission: earlier, you said that you supported a reconstituted United Ireland within the United Kingdom. That's a pretty huge gaffe for an Irish republican.

Furthermore, you've said that you are Protestant and would want to go to Northern Ireland to tell them how good the IRA were and the benefits of Irish unification.

To put it simplistically: you're completely all over the place.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 8:46 pm

Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:

You're avoiding my main submission: earlier, you said that you supported a reconstituted United Ireland within the United Kingdom. That's a pretty huge gaffe for an Irish republican.

Furthermore, you've said that you are Protestant and would want to go to Northern Ireland to tell them how good the IRA were and the benefits of Irish unification.

To put it simplistically: you're completely all over the place.
are there actual people out there who want ireland united as part of england(obviously accept for the british)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 6:32 am

vermontsavant wrote:
are there actual people out there who want ireland united as part of england(obviously accept for the british)

No, Unionists in the Republic who would advocate the Republic of Ireland rejoining the UK are very, very rare and would be despised as loons and cranks. There is a - very small - pressure group called the Reform Group in the Republic who call for things like Ireland rejoining the Commonwealth and the ability of people in the Irish Republic to apply for British passports and citizenship rights to people in the Republic who want it (as almost everyone born and bred in Northern Ireland can apply for Irish passports). But apart from the Reform Group and the activities of Orangemen (mainly in the border counties) of the Republic who would be sympathetic to Northern Ireland remaining in the UK, there is no appetite for Irish Unionism in the South.

A common insult by nationalists who those who don't think that fellow Irishmen are nationalistic enough is "West Brit" and according to them anyone who recognises the reality of there being two jurisdictions on the island is a "partitionist".

Some far-right parties and other people in Britain occasionally advocate the concept but this is generally shouted down and ridiculed by Irish people. Certain Northern Irish unionists (like Jim Allister) advocate it as a joking wind up.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 12:32 pm

Joker wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

So your not Romantic?

I certainly have my romantic notions. But I acknowledge them for what they are, and I try never to let romanticism get in the way of practical policy.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 4:39 pm

(Thread moved from News & current events to PPR)

DC
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 6:02 pm

Joker wrote:

Yet again you show your complete and utter ignorance of the situation at play in the area you seem so obsessed with.

Outside of Sinn Fein politicians (the vast majority of SF voters are not even party members remember) nobody in Northern Ireland and I really mean nobody seriously wants unification, about as much chance of the Falkland Islands voting to join Argentina.

Northern Ireland receives double per captia spending and the vast majority of employment is government funded.

Nice work for them.

The Irish economy is utterly fecked and will continue to be fecked for many years to come.

So the choice for the people of NI is do we want to have a united Ireland, but by the way it means instant 50% unemployment and a mega depression plus a huge drop in our living standards big increases in taxation and also giving up self governance so that we can be ruled by the EU.

And the choice for the people of Ireland is, our economy is fecked and unemployment is through the roof, do we really want to take a huge hit on our living standards by having to support millions of unemployed people from the north?

Even In 20/30 years time, lets imagine two unlikely things happen, one that the per capita funding levels out and two that the Irish economy miraculously recovers to equal the British economy, how many politicians do you think are seriously going to get behind giving up self rule for rule by Europe?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 6:25 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Joker wrote:

The UK would not want to get involved in those problems any more than we already are. The Irish economy already has a great effect on the UK's.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 6:54 pm

DC wrote:
Yet again you show your complete and utter ignorance of the situation at play in the area you seem so obsessed with.

Yes, he does rather seem to be ignorant of Northern Irish affairs.

DC wrote:
Outside of Sinn Fein politicians (the vast majority of SF voters are not even party members remember) nobody in Northern Ireland and I really mean nobody seriously wants unification, about as much chance of the Falkland Islands voting to join Argentina.

Well, a very deluded small minority do but you'll always get extremists like that in a place like NI. It is true though that the vast majority of nationalists don't want anything to do with unification yet. And most Unionists obviously don't no matter what the situation.

DC wrote:
Northern Ireland receives double per captia spending and the vast majority of employment is government funded.

Northern Ireland has 68% of public spending as a percentage of GDP - by far the highest of anywhere in the UK. My own region in the North West is 54%.

The welfare state is enormously bloated in Northern Ireland, strangling the private sector at birth and none of the sectarian local parties have a major manifesto of change, because they'd lose power.

They do very well out of the UK taxpayer, thanks very much.

DC wrote:
Nice work for them.

Indeed.

DC wrote:
The Irish economy is utterly fecked and will continue to be fecked for many years to come.

Yup.

DC wrote:
So the choice for the people of NI is do we want to have a united Ireland, but by the way it means instant 50% unemployment and a mega depression plus a huge drop in our living standards big increases in taxation and also giving up self governance so that we can be ruled by the EU.

And the choice for the people of Ireland is, our economy is fecked and unemployment is through the roof, do we really want to take a huge hit on our living standards by having to support millions of unemployed people from the north?

Not only that, but they'll bring all their sectarian baggage, their bigotry and their social conservatism (the Republic is far more like England in attitudes these days than Northern Ireland is), the addition of hundreds of thousands of Sinn Féin voters (something that all the major parties in the Republic of Ireland are terrified of!), all their social problems and the threat of dissident 'loyalist' terrorism with them.

Does that sound like a good deal for your average voter from the Republic just so they can in name only rub out a line on a map?

The people would never vote for it anyway.

DC wrote:
Even In 20/30 years time, lets imagine two unlikely things happen, one that the per capita funding levels out and two that the Irish economy miraculously recovers to equal the British economy, how many politicians do you think are seriously going to get behind giving up self rule for rule by Europe?

Not only that, but there will be a sizeable Catholic pro-Union vote that votes for Nationalist parties at elections or even doesn't vote at all.

20 Jun 2012, 2:58 am

Tequila wrote:
Fogman wrote:
Seems a bit redundundant in this day and age of the EU.

If you knew anything about the EU, you'd know that nationalism (often twinned with Euroscepticism) is on the rise in several EU and non-EU countries. The True Finns in Finland, UKIP in Britain, Geert Wilders' mob in the Netherlands and so on.

Croatia is poised to join the EU and at least half the country is violently opposed to it. And not just for economic reasons mind you!

DC
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:18 am

Tequila wrote:
DC wrote:

Well, a very deluded small minority do but you'll always get extremists like that in a place like NI. It is true though that the vast majority of nationalists don't want anything to do with unification yet. And most Unionists obviously don't no matter what the situation.

Fair point, I did exaggerate with 'and I really mean nobody'.