The Zeitgeist Movement - Give me your best shot.

Page 11 of 12 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 2:23 pm

Adam-Anti-Um wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
The vast majority of your post is exactly the BS I expected, but this is really the only part that matters:

I can see you still can't keep your cool. I appreciate you whittled it down.

Oh my, this is awesome. You are worthy of your own meme at this point.

Adam-Anti-Um wrote:
Quote:
Claiming they exist without even showing what they are is not "calling out". Simply put, you are a liar.

Oh I'm sorry, shall I include a dictionary definition of each logical fallacy everytime I call you out on them? lol I would have thought you would know what an ad hom is, and what a strawman is.

You accused me of threatening you. And once again, simply stating "this is a fallacy" is not proving anything other than your extremely high regard for your own "expertise" and your low opinion of anyone who interacts with you. You are completely dishonest, you have nothing and you know it, that is why you refuse to provide a quote of where I "threatened you".

Adam-Anti-Um wrote:
And calling me a liar, is yet another ad hom. I can understand your compulsion to use these rhetorical devices though. Coz its much, much easier to call someone a liar, than go through the effort of explaining how and why they are. That's the difference.

You are describing yourself to the letter. You really are completely unaware of your own actions aren't you?

You are a liar, you have repeatedly accused me of different things including threatening you and whenever asked to show where you give some typical douche non-reply

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2012, 2:24 pm

Adam, I say this as someone with no dog in this fight, who couldn't care less about this subject, and who hasn't posted in this topic before: you are an as*hole. Tone your posts the hell down.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 2:25 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Adam, I say this as someone with no dog in this fight, who couldn't care less about this subject, and who hasn't posted in this topic before: you are an as*hole. Tone your posts the hell down.

You might as well ask water not to be wet

Adam-Anti-Um
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 2:28 pm

Vigilans wrote:

Oh my, this is awesome. You are worthy of your own meme at this point.

Now you're just acting childish.

Quote:
You accused me of threatening you. And once again, simply stating "this is a fallacy" is not proving anything other than your extremely high regard for your own "expertise" and your low opinion of anyone who interacts with you. You are completely dishonest, you have nothing and you know it, that is why you refuse to provide a quote of where I "threatened you".

"Three inches from breaking Godwin's law" Like I could care less. lol

Quote:
You are describing yourself to the letter. You really are completely unaware of your own actions aren't you?

LMAO!! !! !! Wow, great paraphrasing of the chiidish "I know you are, but what am I?" LMAO!! !

Quote:
You are a liar, you have repeatedly accused me of different things including threatening you and whenever asked to show where you give some typical douche non-reply

Yet another ad hom.

Now, are you gonna give up this childish crusade of attacking me and start asking relevant questions about an RBE?

"We can spend the rest of our existences stomping on the ants that are mysteriously coming out from under the refridgerator, or we can remove the spoiled food behind it which is causing the infestation to begin with." - Peter Joseph

Adam-Anti-Um
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 2:31 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:

Not only an ad hom, but an aggressive ad hom. And why should I "tone my posts the hell down"? You sond like you are taking this mighty personally.

"We can spend the rest of our existences stomping on the ants that are mysteriously coming out from under the refridgerator, or we can remove the spoiled food behind it which is causing the infestation to begin with." - Peter Joseph

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 2:36 pm

Three inches from breaking Godwin's law is a threat? :lmao: there are some nutty people out there

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 2:37 pm

Adam-Anti-Um wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:

Not only an ad hom, but an aggressive ad hom. And why should I "tone my posts the hell down"? You sond like you are taking this mighty personally.

No, he is just pointing out the obvious. To everyone but you, that is.

Adam-Anti-Um
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 2:38 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Three inches from breaking Godwin's law is a threat? :lmao: there are some nutty people out there

Exactly. Especially since "Godwin's law" is completely irrelevant to this thread.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 2:40 pm

Adam-Anti-Um wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Exactly. Especially since "Godwin's law" is completely irrelevant to this thread.

Explain how that was a threat why don't you, professor relevance?

Adam-Anti-Um
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 2:40 pm

Vigilans wrote:

Again, completely irrelevant Just coz something is "obvious" doesn't stop it from being a personal attack and thus a violation of the forum rules.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 2:43 pm

Adam-Anti-Um wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Again, completely irrelevant Just coz something is "obvious" doesn't stop it from being a personal attack and thus a violation of the forum rules.

Well, at least you can admit he is correct. And you bringing up violations of forum rules is absolutely hilarious. You attack basically every single person who interacts with you. It is kind of amazing in its own right

Adam-Anti-Um
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 2:48 pm

Vigilans wrote:

Well, at least you can admit he is correct. And you bringing up violations of forum rules is absolutely hilarious. You attack basically every single person who interacts with you. It is kind of amazing in its own right

I don't concede to comments made purely to insult. Notice that I put obvious in inverted commas? Like I have said before, just coz you say it, doesn't make it so.

Now, I feel this has got to its end. You can either ask relevant questions, or notice me not giving you any more credence.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 2:59 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
TM wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
TM wrote:
On a different note, am I the only one that interprets his argument as it being a world in which supply is always larger than demand, without resource limitations. Something that to me seems to implicate a constant growth economy, which was one of the things he originally criticized. On a wrongful basis, yet in his case it doesn't seem to involve any of the "real" limitations on the existing economy?

I think I am having issues reading you, but I suspect I would agree.

*Note that the following is directed at AG so I'm using economic terms unrelated to AA's RBE.

Sorry, I know I can be unclear, so let me try and clarify.

Supply is normally limited by material resources + labor, however but in his world, it seems that Demand is always < the cost of material resources + labor

Which would result in an equation (and if you had any idea how much I HATE the fact that WP does not have equation support)

D <= RM+L

This requires both RM and L to always grow by a larger percentage than D on a constant variable, in effect supply demand would have to be (RM+LB)/100*G=(D-0.01)*100

. In essence a demand formula in his world would be (RM+L)*(DP+>0.01).

Where RM is raw material, L is labor, DP is the demand percentage + demand growth. So, in essence, the calculation requires the existence of what is in practice infinite resources in order to work, since the only way to reliably have supply > demand is infinite supply or complete collapse in demand.

And this post totally doesn't make me appear insane.

Hunh, the post doesn't make you seem insane. The issue is that demand is used in an unusual way. The demand curve in microecon is always a function of price, and that's because when something is just priced at 0, people often don't even care about wasting it or not. So, we don't care about wasting air, so we use it to whatever extreme we'd like. But, things involving actual resources, like cotton, metal, silicon, time, etc, sound terrible to waste.

The reason demand is used in a strange way, is because according to the RBE thinking, there are abundant resources and labor available, this results in a value of 0, for the price. Since a price of 0, tends to always lead to over-use of something, like you said nobody cares about wasting air.

So, the price elasticity calculation in this proposed economy, would be Image Which is consistent with your air example.

This is the only way the Oprah Winfrey economy can work. However, since P can never equal 0 when it comes to a finite resource, the equation just doesn't work. In this case, P (Price) is equal to resource cost + labor. Unless those two values are negative or 0, demand will eventually outpace supply.

Quote:

I think I follow. I think I basically agree. I mean, the RBE idea tends to rely on the idea that demand can be controlled, but.... demand probably cannot be controlled so easily without a totalitarian solution. I mean, some people will just hoard shoes. I don't know why, but they will. Some people will just lose tons of socks. It's not that they don't like socks, but they don't care because there is no cost to losing socks. So, if price is zero, a large amt of waste will occur. Unless supply is massively overbuilt, to the point where even if people just started burning clothes for the hell of it(and some might as some form of social gesture) that nothing will be impacted, we'll have an issue. The RBE crowd will talk about human goodness, but I don't think waste means you're a bad person anyway. I've wasted lots of things simply because they were free and because I could request as much as I wanted. I don't think anything but totalitarianism is likely to prevent this from happening.

The issue with the RBE is that population control will probably have to be used. As long as population growth is positive, the steady-state economy can't work because the resources required will change. So, there will be policies controlling how many children every person can have. There have to be. There will probably even have to be mandatory abortions, just like China, otherwise people will just screw and not care. (AAU may dispute this, but let's be serious on the actual consequences) I don't think most people would be willing to accept this unless grossly necessary. Christianity is definitely opposed to these population control policies(given Christian opposition to abortion, Catholic opposition to birth control, and perhaps even the reading of some fundamentalists of the verse "Be fruitful and multiply"), and that may cause political strife.
ImageImage

You're absolutely correct. The RBE community just seems to be pitching communism without that whole Soviet smell being as apparent. I suppose we could call them "technocrat collectivists".

Last edited by TM on 09 Jul 2012, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam-Anti-Um
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 3:02 pm

TM wrote:
You're absolutely correct. The RBE community just seems to be pitching communism without that whole Soviet smell being as apparent. I suppose we could call them "technocrat collectivists".

Can you show me where in TZM's or TVP's material that it says anything that gives this validity?

I've noticed that people try and actually make up terms to define what an RBE is coz they want to create a prima facie label. Sometimes as an appeal to fear fallacy. that isn't implying you are doing the same by the way, just saying others use these kinds of terms in these ways. I can understand if you are assuming here and only going on what "seems".

What exactly in our materials gives your definition validity?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 3:16 pm

Adam-Anti-Um wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

I don't concede to comments made purely to insult. Notice that I put obvious in inverted commas? Like I have said before, just coz you say it, doesn't make it so.

Now, I feel this has got to its end. You can either ask relevant questions, or notice me not giving you any more credence.

Don't concede to insults but give them out freely, eh? :P "Coz" you can

Creedence, eh? Good call.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAa6_574nAs[/youtube]

I wasn't aware that you gave anybody any credence, at any point, at all, to anyone giving any sort of questions, but okay.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 3:25 pm

Adam-Anti-Um wrote:
TM wrote:

Can you show me where in TZM's or TVP's material that it says anything that gives this validity?

I've noticed that people try and actually make up terms to define what an RBE is coz they want to create a prima facie label. Sometimes as an appeal to fear fallacy.

What exactly in our materials gives your definition validity?

Your ideas. You require people to reduce their needs and wants to a sustainable level, ideally just to literal needs. You require population growth to be controlled otherwise your finite resources will be eaten up by infinite demand (more people = more demand). Both of these things require totalitarian control or the agreement of every single member, which makes it collectivism.

If human beings and other animals have shown one thing, its that abundant resources = abundant population growth, until the growth catches up with available resources and then eclipse the amount of resources, which leads to a mass extinction so that the natural equilibrium is restored.

You claim to be able to handle this thanks to technology, which per definition makes you technocrats.

Nowhere in Marx's writings does it say "murder everyone who disagrees with you and rule with an iron fist" however, that has been the inevitable result in every communist ideology.

Now, my turn to ask something of you, solve this equation:

Where TR and TL are finite but where CD is infinite. With a representing a year and G representing growth.

Last edited by TM on 09 Jul 2012, 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.