14 dead and 50 injured in mass shooting in Colorado.

Page 15 of 18 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2012, 10:16 am

biostructure wrote:
Though I wouldn't be so quick to say this guy wasn't a loner. Posting ads online could be just as much an effort to compensate for being socially isolated, as it could be evidence for not being isolated. I know that for myself, and a lot of people on here, we come online when finding IRL friends or dates is depressingly difficult. This girl I know who regularly complains about not having a group of friends was, at least at one time, probably the most obsessed with online chat sites of anyone I've ever known.

What gets me, though, is that nobody is "blaming" his (possible) social marginalization, or the possibility that his isolation could have gotten in the way of his professional life, for what happened. It's not that this should excuse what he did, but it's also not that people are reluctant to blame anything other than his personal responsibility. They are happy to do so in so many other ways, including blaming gun laws, poor parenting, etc.

It's just in the case of social setbacks, people just assume that if he was isolated, it was either his own doing, or he should have been able to deal with it. Possibly if there had been some sort of support structure in his life for people like him, this situation would have turned out better for all concerned. One could potentially fault his family to some degree, because it seems they are wealthy enough they could have provided this, but maybe they didn't take his difficulties seriously? Many people on these forums say that their families don't "get" how life is for them.

I agree with this -- He must have had some adjustment issues that must have been exaggerated by his social problems. Instead of internalizing his anger he burst out on a group of unsuspecting strangers. I am somewhat a secretive person but I do like having a social life. Besides I think most PhD students spend so much time in the labs or researching their topics they tend to get socially isolated.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2012, 11:21 am

What I find confusing is that different people describe him differently almost verging on opposing views on his persona. Some say he was smart, brilliant, others say he was mediocre or lazy, some say he was fine and friendly while others say he was socially inept or socially off.
It's probably the type of relationship, the situation for now (after knowing what he did) and the time of their encounter (adolescence, childhood, recent encounters..etc.) which are factors that lead to these differing views.
(Read these if you don't know what I mean: 1 , 2 , 3 .)

Nonetheless, I suspect he probably felt that something wasn't right with him which is why he took a class about mental disorders and why he liked a song about going insane so much he had its poster in his apartment.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2012, 12:56 pm

Mayel wrote:
What I find confusing is that different people describe him differently almost verging on opposing views on his persona. Some say he was smart, brilliant, others say he was mediocre or lazy, some say he was fine and friendly while others say he was socially inept or socially off.
It's probably the type of relationship, the situation for now (after knowing what he did) and the time of their encounter (adolescence, childhood, recent encounters..etc.) which are factors that lead to these differing views.
(Read these if you don't know what I mean: 1 , 2 , 3 .)

Nonetheless, I suspect he probably felt that something wasn't right with him which is why he took a class about mental disorders and why he liked a song about going insane so much he had its poster in his apartment.

I'm guessing he had communication issues. I have had some describe me as intelligent and knowledgeable where as others say I am dumb and shy because I take time to open up to my professors and personal tutors.

Anarbaculardrop
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 7:57 pm

Know what I think? Allowing a man with a concealed weapon into a dark, crowded room with one light source and lots of noise scares me. Licenses be damned; no one should be allowed to do this. Also, a subway is an equally terrifying place to do the same thing.

Another cause is that people sometimes go bad. I watched an episode of Morgan Freeman's Through the Wormhole about what causes evil, and I realize now that he either had a brain deformity, the pyschopath type brain, or a combination of the two. Just saying that.

lexicon2600
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jul 2012, 10:09 pm

I don't understand why coverage of this is dominating the news when there is so much else going on in the world. It's not an ongoing threat, so why is it still on the front page almost a week later?

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 11:11 pm

lexicon2600 wrote:
I don't understand why coverage of this is dominating the news when there is so much else going on in the world. It's not an ongoing threat, so why is it still on the front page almost a week later?

Because it's voyeuristic.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 12:55 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:
jojobean wrote:
I hear alot of people on cnn boards and elsewhere wondering if he is paranoid schizophrenic. I seriously doubt that because people with PS are very illogical if best and would not have the logical capacity to rig up the appartment like he did.
As for a motive....some things dont need explanation. Evil is evil, period.

Also all this talk about him being introverted and keeps to himself is getting under my skin cause nearly everytime there is a mass killer, the first thing news anchors say is "He was quiet and keeps to himself" Unfortunately this stimatizes introverts as mass killers. I hear people say, "its always the quiet ones you know"

urrrg.

I think PS is unlikely for the reasion you mention, however some sort of psychosis such as psychotic depression or manic psychosis is a possibility. The third possibility is SSRI-induced mania/homicidal thoughts, which have been documented in a few previous cases. It is rare but it does happen.

I know from experience that it is possible to earn straight a's and b's in school while hearing voices continuously and believing that people are plotting against you. The difference between me and the shooter is I never wanted revenge. And I do think I would come to my senses before I snapped entirely.

I have never reached that "obliterative" state of mind.

I made a post about the concept of pseudocommanders. No one responded but my guess is this is the kind of state of mind he is was in for one reason or another. Perhaps he felt he was being mercilessly persecuted when in fact no one even paid any attention to him.

I can relate to this - everything but the homicidal thoughts.

He planned for a long time for someone that was going to be violent due to a SSRI side effect. People that go off from meds tend to act much more impulsively, and the claim that people sometimes plan a shooting spree because of SSRIs is a totally unproven theory.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 1:09 am

Anarbaculardrop wrote:
Know what I think? Allowing a man with a concealed weapon into a dark, crowded room with one light source and lots of noise scares me. Licenses be damned; no one should be allowed to do this. Also, a subway is an equally terrifying place to do the same thing.

I found credible advice on that:

http://sofrep.com/9657/navy-seal-lessons-learned-aurora-colorado-survive
article excerpt wrote:
Take cover and not concealment. Concealment hides, cover hides AND protects. It’s the difference between hiding behind a movie seat or a concrete wall.

Don’t lie there with your eyes closed and get shot. Think and move. In these situations you have to take charge and get in the mindset of self-rescue. You cannot wait for first-responders – it takes too long. A good decision executed quickly is better than a great one never executed. Violence of action, as we call it in the Spec Ops community, will often change the odds in your favor.

For close quarter combat drills we’d draw a gun with someone over 20 feet away running at us. In most cases you can be on someone before they can draw and take a shot. I’m not advocating running straight at someone but if you have the tactical advantage (jam, re-loading, distraction or the shooter isn’t paying attention) then take the shooter down or get the hell out of there. Remember that a moving target is extremely hard to hit, even for the well-trained shooter. Deal with the situation with your eyes wide open.

In Aurora, the shooter was severely weighted down with armor and his helmet would have also limited his vision. You can use all this to your advantage.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

lexicon2600

25 Jul 2012, 1:45 am

shrox wrote:
lexicon2600 wrote:

Because it's voyeuristic.

Seems perverse. Not in a sexual sense, but in the sense that perversion can be defined as doing something with an absence of love. It doesn't seem like journalism.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 11:20 am

Anarbaculardrop wrote:

Another cause is that people sometimes go bad. I watched an episode of Morgan Freeman's Through the Wormhole about what causes evil, and I realize now that he either had a brain deformity, the pyschopath type brain, or a combination of the two. Just saying that.

Quote:

This is satire but it still makes a point.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pGt_O1uM8[/youtube]

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 11:56 am

Joe Scarborough issues non-apology for remarks about murderers having ASD

I hear Joe Scarborough's remarks about "somewhere on the autism scale" and the suggestion that I--by virtue of living with Asperger's Syndrome--am a potential mass murderer: I'd shudder, provided that the shudder is construed to mean "I feel genuine horror at the very thought of this" or "My body would rebel against the possibiility of doing this."

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2012, 12:54 pm

Possible motive published recently. The writer says his mother knew he must be going though a mental condition. According to the article he wrote a book about his murder plan and posted it to the school's psychiatrist.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

Anarbaculardrop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 4:03 pm

Quote:

What I am trying to say is that they shouldn't let this happen by not allowing people with guns into those areas and having security guards. It seems weird to all those gun-loving, right wing, conservative idiots in Congress to not allow people to carry concealed weapons; they just seem to not care about anything(including the well being of the United States of America) except for bringing Barrack Obama down and money.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 5:24 pm

Anarbaculardrop wrote:
Quote:

What I am trying to say is that they shouldn't let this happen by not allowing people with guns into those areas and having security guards. It seems weird to all those gun-loving, right wing, conservative idiots in Congress to not allow people to carry concealed weapons; they just seem to not care about anything(including the well being of the United States of America) except for bringing Barrack Obama down and money.

I don't carry a security guard in my back pocket. Also, neither side gives a crap about the American people.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 8:40 pm

Anarbaculardrop wrote:
Quote:

And give society's predators a place to wreak havoc unopposed except for maybe a few (probably unarmed) lazy security guards that don't care one way or another as long as they don't get shot.
Yeah, that makes me feel real safe and secure.
I'll carry my own piece since no one cares more about my well-being than me.

Anarbaculardrop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 11:36 pm

Look, all you need are some dogs who can sniff out bombs and guns. Then the hostile can be removed by the police in a safer manner. I expect to talk sense into you. Maybe a security camera in every subway station, hospitable, movie theater, or other places where a lot of people will go would help too. Just saying.

Also, where do you get your information about security guards from? Movies and TV shows? If that is so, then you must need more information.