Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 10:21 am

UnBored wrote:
Guns are interesting in a way, just i have no practical use for one and even if i did they're too loud and annoying. Maybe it's a boy thing, just the way u press a button and something fires out, it's interesting i guess, just i can't make myself any more interested than that and so they'll never find a place in my life the way it stands. The only way i could think of that i'd find myself becoming more interested is if maybe there was a zombie apocalypse or something :).

Maybe you are right. Maybe it IS a boy thing. Kind of makes sense, because many NT men love guns, too. My Aspie husband LOVES guns, but my Aspie daughter doesn't. She wants to learn archery, though.

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 10:45 am

I think the like of guns is more dependent on one's upbringing. My father was a hunter and thus I was properly taught how to use guns. I wouldn't say I like or dislike guns, but if a friend invited me to go target shooting I would likely go

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 1:41 pm

In NZ like Canada, rural lifestyles means hunting is always at hand

I can go for a drive 1 hr from downtown Auckland, our biggest city, and see groups of pigs, hundreds of ducks, hundreds of goats, and a deer or two if I'm lucky.

All within 2min of each other.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Aug 2012, 3:56 pm

There are more here than on any other internet community I frequent. However, this forum also contains a higher proportion of Americans.

If you were being disingenuous, you could say that America is one of the countries with the highest % of Aspies (simply because most countries don't have sufficient mental health care to diagnose Aspies, nor the awareness of autism), and as America has a much higher % of "gun nuts" than most countries then diagnosed Aspies are more likely to be gun nuts than people with no diagnosis. That's just correlation though, not causation, and it might not hold true throughout the West.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 5:50 pm

I'd say it's due to people with ASDs preferring mechanical objects over less tangible concepts. Firearms are just machines.

See: the most stereotypical ASD interest, trains

As for me, I've always been interested in projectile weaponry (my main interest my whole life), from slings to cannons.

I have slings, bows and firearms (working on the cannon); people have nothing to fear from any of them.

I'm not a "nut". I'm a responsible individual who can safely handle projectile weapons, who also loves the theory that goes with them.