Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2012, 4:03 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
It would depend on the god. If Yahwah

Yahweh of the Bible...always good to know who we're talking about...

Oops, I did not realize I spelled Yahweh as "Yahwah" until just now. I made a mistake I think.

AngelRho wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
was a human, he would be a violent, and cruel dictator.

Many Christians hold that God the Father and God the Son are the same God. Jesus is God in the flesh, so the actions of Jesus during His time on earth give a pretty clear picture of what God would be like (or was like, or is like) in human form. The only violence Jesus displayed was anger directed towards those who defiled the temple by making it a place of commerce rather than a place of worship. If you were God and you saw people using your holy sanctuary for secular purposes and other practices that prevented people with genuine spiritual needs from having access to you, you'd be pretty upset, too, right?

But how can anyone be sure what Jesus really was?

Well, we're discussing Yahweh and Jesus as presented in the Bible--that is, the collection of writings that constitute the scriptural background of Jews and, later, Christians. The New Testament gospels are compiled from the testimony of witnesses who experienced the words and actions of Jesus. Those who place their faith in Jesus take the words of these witnesses as the basis for their faith. Whether we are "sure what Jesus really was" is ultimately irrelevant, but rather we trust in the portrait of Jesus that His disciples described. That is all we really CAN be sure of, so that's what we're discussing.

But did the authors of the New Testament gospels really witness the events they wrote about, or did they just write about what they heard from other people? Why were the gospels written in third person instead of first person? It only makes sense that it would be in third person if they were not even eyewitnesses at all. Were the gospels even historically accurate? So far, I don't know of any evidence to support the idea that the gospels are 100% accurate. It is also relevant to know who or what Jesus really was. How can you trust in what people claimed Jesus was, without knowing what Jesus was? Without being 100% certain that Jesus is a god in human-form and without being 100% certain that the god of the Bible is the only real god then why believe it?

There is also a slight possibility that the god of the Bible is actually Satan, or a demon that pretends to be a god, but how can anyone know if this is true or false? If demons or Satan are extremely powerful, then how can one be certain that one of these has not been deceiving humans for thousands of years?

AngelRho wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
What if he was nothing more than a puppet that Yahweh controlled so he could deceive humans into thinking he was good, when in reality, he is a sadistic narcissist that had to satisfy his need to be worshiped as well as his need to inflict suffering?

Well, if that's true, then what choice do we really have?

If this is true, we would still have the choice to worship or not worship. Sure we wouldn't be able to escape being victimized if the only real god is a sadistic narcissist, but we wouldn't have to worship. The only reason I mentioned this possibility is because you believe with absolute certainty that the god you believe in is a perfect and good god, without having absolute knowledge of what good and evil is, so you would not know if this being that could be posing as a god really has presented humans with a definition of what absolute morality is.

There is a possibility that the god you believe in is Satan, posing as a god and Jesus could have been his puppet, and what the Bible says is right and wrong could be twisted or corrupted. Some of what is said to be evil might actually be evil, while some might not be evil, for instance, things that may be harmless, such as homosexual relationships among consenting adults, that cause absolutely no harm(unless of course you consider your god's wrath as harm. "He don't like it, so he's going to torture you forever after you die if you practice this sin"). Some of what is allowed in the Bible might have actually been evil and should have been forbidden and considered a sin, such as owning other people as property, but was allowed instead.

AngelRho wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
As for the question, if I was God and my creations had a spiritual need that needed to be fulfilled, they wouldn't need to go into a temple. They could just call me and I would go to them and they could see me and talk to me. I would talk to them and they could hear what I have to say. All I know is, there would be no need for temples. I would imagine that if your god is the narcissist he is, in my opinion anyway, then I could understand why he would be angry about people using a place of worship for secular purposes, because he wasn't being worshiped like he needed to be.

Well, the reality is there never HAS been a "need" for temples or tabernacles. The patriarchs didn't worship in tents or temples. They sacrificed on open-air altars. The tabernacle, which was a sort of portable temple, only came into being during the exodus from Egypt. Both the temple and tabernacle existed to show God's physical presence on earth during their existence, thus religious life centered on these buildings. Jews haven't needed the temple since its destruction, and neither do Christians have centralized temple that represents Christianity as a whole. Churches serve the purpose of providing a place for Christians to gather en masse, but a person's home can just as easily serve the same purpose. There is no dependence on or special purpose for the building. This was not the case with the temple.

And you aren't really answering the question. The temple existed, and it existed for several reasons. I don't get the whole narcissism thing. God has no need of being worshiped. But that doesn't mean that human beings won't desire to worship God--it's one part of why we were created after all. To worship God in the correct way, at least in the times before Christ, the Israelites needed the temple to avoid succumbing to polytheistic worship. It also unified the people. It reminded them of God's presence among them. It was a center of religious training. It housed a library. It housed a treasury from which to support the priests and to maintain the building, as well as money needed for other religious activities.

When religious legalism starts to supplant genuine worship and service to others in the community, the temple loses its primary purpose as a "house of God." I think it's perfectly understandable for God to become angry when religious leaders themselves are guilty of driving a wedge between God and man.

I thought I answered the question, but probably not in the way you wanted me to. I think the question was whether or not I would be angry if people were using my temples for secular purposes and preventing people with spiritual needs from coming to me(assuming I was God). My answer was that there would be no need for temples. If people needed me, I would just go to them and they could see me, talk to me, and receive feedback from me. I also wouldn't need for there to be places for people to worship me, assuming I was God, because I would not have a need to be worshiped.

I agree with your point about the temples. I did not think about the open-air altars at the moment I first replied. I was just thinking about the question you asked me. Although, it still does not make any sense why altars would be necessary. It would certainly have been easier if humans said, "God, I need your help and your guidance, I pray that you help me." and then he just went to them so they could be 100% certain that their guidance was coming from him. If I were God{I realize that I am not and never will be) that is how it would work. That way they could be completely sure that the guidance they needed was coming from me.

Also, there is a major reason why I actually do think the god you believe in seems like a narcissist. Yes, he certainly does have a need to be worshiped, because when people decide not to worship him, bad things happen to them. If they worship something else other than him, the same thing happens. If a non-narcissistic god had created the universe and the Earth, this god would not resort to threats of violence and death and it would actually give its creations a legitimate reason to desire to worship, by trying to show its love to them. A narcissistic god would give its creations a reason to desire to worship only for the purpose of having its creations worship it and when they do not, it would become enraged and have them killed, or kill them itself. Maybe it would do worse than just kill. It might resort to eternal torture as punishment.

Also, if polytheism was such a problem, then why didn't this god just come down to the polytheistic people and say, "Hey, your gods don't exist and I am the only real god there is and if you continue to worship them, then it means you are idiots, for worshiping nonexistent things." Certainly that would have solved lots of problems. When the religious leaders tried to corrupt this god's instructions for the people, it could certainly have come down from the sky and say, "Hey, religious leaders, you're not doing what you should be doing. You are being sinners and hypocrites." Instead, only a human-form version of this god said this, but these religious leaders had absolutely now way of being 100% certain who this guy was. He could have been who he claimed to be, could have been a sorcerer, or his power could have come from an unknown source.

AngelRho wrote:
As for how you'd relate to man--appearing personally and not requiring a temple--oddly enough, this is exactly how the Bible describes the relationship between God and man. It just ends up that man rejects God and doesn't want God's help.

Well, if he did it a long time ago, why doesn't he still do it today? Surely there are still people that believe in the god of the Bible and still want this god's help, but yet, he does not come down from the sky and talk to them. This would lead any rational person to the conclusion that maybe, the stories of this happening in the Old Testament were really myth.

AngelRho wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
There is one big problem with the "soldier-jumping-on-a-grenade scenario". First, being the all-knowing god that Yahweh apparently is, he knew beforehand that humans would sin and knew each sin every human would commit. Since he already knew that humans would sin and need to be saved, he pretty much planned on it. He basically set up humans so they would be in a situation in which they would need to be saved. Maybe the whole point was to make himself seem like a hero so he could say "Look! I saved you from the situation I knew you would end up in, but allowed you to get into that situation, just so I could save you from it!"

Not really. I don't think God's knowledge is limited by what WILL happen. Rather, I think God's knowledge extends to all possibilities as well. Just because God knows everything that even can happen, it doesn't excuse human beings from their responsibility to make the choices they make. I don't think it is so much that God planned ON things happening...but more likely planned FOR things happening. Adam and Eve didn't have to eat that proverbial apple. God was prepared either way. I think God is saying, "Hey, I didn't put you in this situation. But don't worry, I've got it covered."

There is still one problem. Sure, if he had infinite knowledge of all possibilities that could happen, he still did know that what did happen, would happen, right? He apparently knows the entire future, so he knows the possible outcomes for every situation, but also knows the outcomes that will happen, right? He probably did know all of the possible decisions humans could have made or not made, but still did already know which decisions the humans would make, so in a way, did still know that humans would sin, did still know every sin every human would do, and did still know who would be punished as a result.

AngelRho wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
The second problem is he really did not sacrifice anything. All he really did was send some spirit to the Earth and could have possibly spoke through it, maybe controlled it like a puppet, and made the spirit say "I am God" and make it preach good things and then had it killed by humans to make it look like some big, important thing, when in reality, it might have just been nothing more than a ploy.

But why should it have to be a ploy? I mean, if God is all-powerful, He can just take everything He wants and consign everyone to the flames if they don't comply. This is why "Narcissist God" doesn't work. Everything that happened through the person of Jesus happened to our benefit, not to our detriment. If God desires reconciliation rather than retaliation and manipulation, then it makes more sense that God's actions are actions that place mercy and forgiveness first and punishment and death as the last resort. A narcissist god wouldn't really care if he got our attention or not--he'd be too SELF-absorbed to even notice, much less even show himself capable of actions for OUR benefit rather than purely his own.

"Narcissist God" would still work. Narcissism would mean that he would need to be worshiped, praised, and honored. Yes, a narcissistic god would care if it got our attention or not, because it would need to be worshiped and would use threats to force people to worship and serve out of fear. Now, I would say that the reason why he might not kill every human that disobeys as soon as they do it, and send them to Hell, could be that maybe, because of his sadistic side, which I also think he has, he might also want the disobedient people who have already rejected him to think that they are safe from his wrath, when they are not. Then, when they die, might say, "Guess what? You were wrong and now you're going to Hell to be tortured forever!"

AngelRho wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
His favorite form of execution would be death by fire and he would always stand by the furnace and inhale the scent of their burning flesh, because it does say in the Bible that the smell of burning flesh is pleasing to Yahweh.

Well, what was the point of sacrifices? Human sacrifices were forbidden in the OT. Animal sacrifices served various purposes. For one, the shedding of blood symbolized that the wages of sin is death and only by the shedding of blood can there be remission of sin. The blood of the sin offering covered the sin being atoned for so that God would no longer have to see the stain of sin on heart of the sinner.

There are also problems with this. First, it makes no sense that a perfect god would need animals to be sacrificed for the sins of humans, unless Yahweh really is the sadistic being that he seems to be and he planned on punishing animals for the sins of humans, which animals could not possibly have committed themselves.

Animals are not created reflecting God's image, though. They have no will of their own. Humans are made in the image of God and their lives are, to an extent, sacred. Valuing the life of an animal over the life of a human is, in essence, worshiping the creation rather than the creator. The Israelites were often guilty of sacrificing to physical, inanimate objects formed in the image of animals, which is one manifestation of what I'm talking about here. Only the blood of the perfect, sinless sacrifice can cover the sin of man. So either an innocent animal has to die or the sinner has to die. Would you rather face the death penalty for your own sin, no matter how small, or would you rather a substitutionary atonement? Generally speaking, people prefer to buy their freedom if they have a choice in the matter. Sacrificing a couple of doves every now and then isn't really going to be all that costly to someone in the ancient world.

Effectively, the perfect sacrifice of God's Son ends the need for animal sacrifices, so the point is moot for the Christian.

But God being sadistic? I don't think so. As I've mentioned before, God doesn't NEED our sacrifices. The sacrifices are the outward expression of our inward acknowledgement of our own human failing. The "pleasing aroma" of the sacrifice is not merely the pleasure of a good barbecue. It's our willingness to openly confess our sins and trust in God's mercy that God desires. We are showing through our sacrifices that we understand that we are the ones who should have been slaughtered and burned on the altar. Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection brings all sacrifices to complete fulfillment, not merely covering our sins in His blood, but washing them away completely.

So basically, what you're saying is, humans were created in the image of Yahweh? If that is so, then why create the animals? Was it so the humans could have something to have control over? I do realize that according to the Bible, animals do not have free will, but why is that? If all of his other creations were given free will(assuming their actions and lives are not completely predetermined), then why not the animals? It seems he must not have cared much for the animals because he created them without a soul, just so they would be controlled by superior beings. This might also mean that the animals were needed "just in case humans sinned" so that the humans would have something innocent to sacrifice for being guilty of sin.

Besides, why not just do the whole Jesus thing from the beginning? There would never have been a need for animal sacrifice, unless he waited a long time, on purpose, so the animals would need to be sacrificed for the sins of humans. This seems to be a possible reason for his plans, if he exists and is the only real god. I admit that I do not have infinite knowledge, so it might not have been his reason, if the Bible is 100% accurate, but it seems like a possibility.

AngelRho wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
I am sure it would have been a better system if humans would have had to shed their own blood to atone for their own sins. Maybe require them to cut off a piece of their body, stitch up the wound, and sacrifice the piece they amputated. At least then the human's blood would be shed for the sins of that human, instead the blood of innocent animals being shed for the sins of humans.

You'd be willing to do that?

I probably wouldn't. If I were to sin, because I enjoyed sinning and doing what is evil, why would I want to be punished for my sins? A corrupted sinner that liked doing sin would try to escape punishment, whether or not they were able to do so. I do think that it would actually be a good method of justice. "If you do the crime, you do the time." always works the best. It really makes no sense to have other living things that do not have a free will of their own to be sacrificed to atone for the sins of the guilty. The guilty should always be punished for their crimes, not something else.

AngelRho wrote:
The Biblical justice system stands opposed to this idea. This is the same basic formula the Sadducees followed, meaning a strict interpretation of "eye-for-an-eye" and for which Jesus accused them of not even knowing the scriptures. When you do injury to someone, the Bible says you are to repay an equivalent in damages for whatever was done. If you couldn't pay, you could enter into debt and work off the valuation. Facing dismemberment yourself limits your personal productivity. Society ultimately loses not just once when someone is hurt, intentionally or not, but doubly when an offender is likewise incapacitated.

Amputations in the ancient world carry the risk of infection, also, and are torturous to the person having the amputation. Since "all have sinned," this means we'd all face some form of amputation. Not only that, but there'd be repeated amputation for each offense we commit. Sooner or later there's nothing left to take, IF we even survive that long. And besides, it is the LIFE that is required, not merely a little blood or a foreskin or a toe. If each sin we commit requires the death penalty, exactly how are human beings supposed to hang around long enough to "be fruitful and multiply"? You're guaranteed extinction, and that doesn't seem to be what God wants. Animals, by contrast, can be bred specifically for that purpose. So in a primarily agrarian society, this isn't exactly a burden.

Well an all-knowing god could certainly have invented a system that would allow "eye-for-an-eye" as punishment while still preventing extinction. Certainly when a person had a limb amputated as a punishment for their sin, they could be given the option to have that missing limb regenerated, if and only if they were truly sorry for the evil they had done, not just sorry that they got caught, and if they were willing to pay back the debt they owe, through whatever means necessary. Then, once they met these basic requirements, the amputated limb would be regenerated and then the person could work off the debt they owe. Simple solution.

Also, I do know there would be a risk of infection in the ancient world, but if my idea for the solution were implemented, then there wouldn't have been any bacteria or viruses. A system could have been used that would implement my idea without bacteria or viruses even needing to exist for any purpose. There would be no need for good bacteria and bad bacteria would not exist, because the all-powerful and all-knowing god could have made this possible.

I do realize the amputation causes pain, but, the specific amputation should depend on the crime. For instance, if a person chops off another person's hand out of malice, theirs should be chopped off as well, and then the innocent person who got attacked could have their missing hand regenerated by God. The criminal would not have their limb regenerated and would be forced to suffer for the crime they committed, until he or she actually was sorry for what they did, because he or she knew it was wrong and was willing to work for the person they attacked. Then their missing hand could be regenerated and they could go on and work for the person they assaulted. This way, a person does not need to have a limb amputated for every crime. Maybe separate punishments could be assigned to different crimes that do not harm a person physically, maybe crimes that could be dealt upon someone by God himself. An example could be, if you damage someone emotionally, then the god in power could come to you and then damage you emotionally, so you feel the pain of the person you hurt.

The simple fact is, if God is actually Yahweh of the Bible, then he probably thought of these possible ideas. He probably thought of this type of system, since he would know of every possibility. The simple fact that he did not choose something that worked better, means he did plan on having innocent, living things being killed to atone for the sins of the guilty.

AngelRho wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
Is that why it was animals that had to be sacrificed for the sins of humans? It was so the priests could have meat to eat? I am sure it would have been much easier to create a system where humans would not need to eat meat and the humans could still have a method to atone for their sins without killing an animal that did nothing wrong. The only possible conclusion I can get from this is that Yahweh created humans and the animals, so he could have the animals suffer and die as a direct result of the sins of humans.

I didn't say that having meat for the priests was the ONLY reason. It was merely a benefit of being a priest. The Levites were not a part of the land lottery afforded the other tribes, but rather inherited the priesthood and so were guaranteed places to live throughout Israel in order to serve in the capacity of priests. In return for their service, they had the right to enjoy a portion of the sacrifice. "Do not muzzle the ox while it treads the grain."

Ok, so maybe I had the wrong idea about the priests eating the meat of the sacrifices.

AngelRho wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
It could also be that Yahweh didn't like sacrificing humans, because the way his system works, innocent beings need to be sacrificed to atone for the sins of the guilty. Sacrificing an imperfect human that was guilty of sin wouldn't work because the humans would be guilty and not innocent. I would think it should be the other way around. Shouldn't the guilty always pay for the crimes they are guilty of, assuming their criminal actions were not predetermined and planned by an all-knowing god, instead of the innocent being sacrificed?

Like I said, there was also a justice system in place to take care of that, to make sure that the guilty were punished and the victims avenged or repaid, and the driving force behind Mosaic justice was that the punishment fit the crime. It's more or less what we have in the western world, except the main flaw is violent offenders are punished with long periods of incarceration. They aren't given the means to remain productive in society. There's nothing inherently wrong with sequestering those who prove themselves a danger to society, but removing every person who may still prove themselves useful in some way doesn't really benefit the society that incarcerates them. According to Biblical law, only a tiny handful of crimes demand death, one of those being murder. Very little in the west really deters someone so inclined to take the life of another person.

Now, those ideas govern how man should relate to each other, not how man should relate to God. God wants everyone to repent of their wrongdoing. But true repentance cannot happen without first acknowledging the misdeed. God can forgive where man cannot. Thus a murderer who previously didn't know God can have perfect standing with God. All it takes is having faith that God is strong enough to forgive.

So the animal sacrifice was only atonement for sins against Yahweh, not sins against another person? One thing I do wonder about though is why homosexuality demanded death as a punishment. What if there was consent between the two? Why would it be considered a sin since it does not cause harm when there is consent between the two people? If it is a consenting relationship, then why does it need a punishment? Is it a sin against Yahweh or other people, even if there is consent and no harm is done? There is evidence that homosexual people did not choose their sexual orientation, so why should they be commanded to avoid acting on the desires they have as a result of their sexual orientation? It would certainly have been much easier to just not allow homosexuality to exist at all, if Yahweh didn't like it so much. It might have also worked well to regulate what types of homosexual relationships were allowed, considering the fact that people with this sexual orientation do not choose it. Even if acting on those desires is a sin, why would it require death as a punishment? It makes no sense.

AngelRho wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
I do suppose you were right though. When I said that Yahweh had a favorite execution method, well, that was flawed. He had lots of different execution methods and he probably would have loved them all equally, assuming he is the only real god. Oh, I also wonder how Yahweh would have reacted if humans that were not from Israel believed in a peaceful god, one that did not require sacrifices of humans or animals. Yahweh probably would have gone into a rage. "They are worshiping something other than me! Now I am angry at those humans for doing something I knew they would do before I created them. Now they need to die!"

Except that the Bible reveals that God is not that eager to destroy humanity. The Canaanites were punished by the Israelites for abandoning God. Their abandonment of God was so nearly complete and their worship of false gods along with perverse religious practices was so ingrained into their society that God commanded the Israelites to deport them or kill them. They knew the Israelites were coming. I'm sure many of them fled (which would have meant acknowledging they didn't deserve to live there and thus they retained SOME redeemable qualities as refugees elsewhere). But those who refused to humble themselves faced death, which was the only option left to them.

All that it means when some of Canaanites fled, is that they didn't want the Isrealites that were coming to slaughter them and that the ones that stayed there probably didn't care that they were coming. Did the Canaanites start out worshiping Yahweh, or is it actually possible that they never did? If they never did, then the ones that were killed probably knew they were being killed because of the views of people following a different religion, but they probably did not know it was because the gods they believed in were false. What about the children who grew up into that religion and those religious practices, the ones that could not have known that their gods were false? It would have been much better if Yahweh had gone to them and told them, "You are being deceived into believing in false gods and if you turn away from them and turn to me, then you will be better off." Then once they knew this was the case, they would not have needed to be killed or have to run. They would just turn away from their gods and begin worshiping Yahweh, unless he threatened to do something terrible to them if they did not worship him and they were too afraid of him to love him, then they might not do that.

AngelRho wrote:
Of course, the Israelites failed to keep this command of driving them out. The Jebusites remained in Jerusalem until King David drove them out.

But the point is that even in pre-Israelite Canaan, death isn't even God's first response. Even when the Jews abandoned God, He sent prophets to advise the people not to resist deportation in keeping with the will of God. Their captors were ultimately defeated, after all. Those that were allowed to stay and eventually organized rebellions against their foreign governors were put to death, but it wasn't until they'd had numerous warnings that they faced extreme circumstances.

While God demands death for those who do not worship Him, it isn't as though God doesn't wait patiently for His people to turn back to Him. Judah lasted several generations after the dissolution of Israel and was spared destruction in part due to the reforms of its kings. It was several hundred years before God revoked their sovereignty. Even prior to the post-Exodus invasion of Canaan, the Canaanites experienced a period of some 400 years in which they could have mended their ways.

But being omniscient, he already knew who would never obey him and who would obey him, so in a way, basically planned out who would die and who would not. In pre-Isrealite Canaan, did Yahweh ever go to those people, himself, and tell them that their gods were false? If that didn't happen, then basically the people who died would have been killed without warning. If it was just people that had warned them, they would not have been taken seriously, but if Yahweh had told them himself, a real god would have been taken seriously.

AngelRho wrote:
And by having a chosen people, God sets an example of what a nation devoted to Him should look like. And after the failure of Israel and Judah, there was still a faithful remnant that returned to rebuild the temple and resume worship. And when the Pharisees missed the point, God sent Jesus. And as long as Christians do what they're SUPPOSED to do, God can still show the world how to live within His grace. And Jesus hasn't returned YET, so I think we should find that an encouragement that God still isn't finished with us.

Yet, knowing the future and knowing what would happen in the future, as well as what might happen in the future, he still knew who would disobey him, when they would disobey him, when he would need to send Jesus, knew that some still would not believe in or accept Jesus, knows when Jesus will return, and knows who will not repent before that happens. Basically, it would seem as though he did plan this all out and did plan who would go to Hell and who would not.

AngelRho wrote:
Interestingly, I like the symbolism of God creating the universe in 7 days (technically 6, but whatever) but spending thousands of years on us. I'm not trying to make a young earth vs. evolution argument here, but rather reflecting on God's priorities given what is written about Him.

I suppose the symbolism sounds good, but a lot of what does happen in the Bible and the information provided about the god that is in it, all of his qualities and abilities, do not sound good. Maybe to you they might make him sound good, because you absolutely do not want to consider the possibility that the god you believe in could be imperfect, evil, and/or cruel, because the idea of believing in such a god might be uncomfortable to you.

AngelRho wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
How do you know God isn't good?

Well so far, Yahweh doesn't appear to be good. He appears to be sadistic, narcissistic, and a bit hypocritical, considering the fact that throughout the Bible, he commits acts that would have been considered sinful if humans did them. I suppose in some way, Yahweh could be good, according to his own standards, but if that was the case, then it would mean that all of the most evil dictators in the history of the Earth were good.

Ah, so you're attributing human attributes to God. Exactly what does "good" mean? It seems to me you're working from you're own personal definition or ideal rather than reflecting on what God's nature actually might be. And that's working from a bias. If God is perfect and humanity flawed, which is the case according to the Bible, then your definition of "good" is also inherently flawed.

Here's what I think: Imagining that God must be held to a flawed human standard, that somehow the human standard is a superior one, is the pinnacle of arrogance. When we talk about the first sin, I wonder if actually taking the fruit of knowledge was really the first sin. I believe that the sins committed in Eden were many, the most egregious occurring in the the hearts of Adam and Eve before they physically did anything. And I think the worst thing they did was actually believe that somehow they could improve on God's creation and rise above God by being able to discern right from wrong. The problem, I think, is that Adam and Eve ALREADY knew right from wrong because they could already identify one sinful act: taking the fruit. If they weren't already consciously aware of right/wrong, they were at the least incapable of sinning--not because they knew the difference, but because they lacked the capacity for sin in their very nature. They not only took the knowledge of right/wrong from the tree, but also the ability to act contrary to the nature God endowed them with. They were perfect to begin with. They just decided perfection wasn't good enough.

So those who I blame for narcissism are really Adam and Eve, since they allowed themselves (as well as all of humanity) to become self-absorbed. And so I think narcissism is a purely human trait. I might even say that accusing God of being a narcissist is itself a symptom of arrogance and self-absorbtion of the accuser.

But Yahweh does have human attributes. The Bible attributes human attributes to him. It does show how angry he gets. It shows how much he hates people that do not love him and how much he needs to be worshiped. I didn't attribute anything to Yahweh. What I did was read about his qualities and made a judgment based on what I know. I'm not perfect and I know it. However, I do have knowledge of what is good and what is not and when I know that Yahweh does things in the Bible that I know are not good, then what else am I supposed to think? Am I supposed to just have faith and convince myself that he is good, even though he does not seem good?

If my definition of "good" is flawed and Yahweh's definition of "good" is perfect, then he really doesn't follow its standards. In different areas of the Bible, it tells humans how to be good people, but then Yahweh goes ahead and does things that would have been considered evil if humans did them. When he kills a bunch of his creations for not worshiping and serving him, the only justification for those actions is this, "They are his creations and he has the right to make whatever rules he wants and he is not required to follow his own rules, because those rules are for humans." Just having the authority and the right to do whatever he wants and making himself above his own rules, does not make his actions good or right, does it? That just makes him powerful.

If a human father were to kill some of his kids or burn them to death in a furnace because they loved some other kids' parents more than him, wouldn't that human father be considered a sinner for this, according to the Bible? Yes, he would. Yahweh does these very same things, so how is he any better? What if they loved the things he gave them more than him, especially after discovering how abusive and cruel he really is and then he killed them for loving those things more than him? If a human father did this to his children, he would be a sinner, but if Yahweh did this to humans, it would be considered justice, because he is supposed to be "perfect". But how can he be perfect if he commits acts that would be sinful if humans did them?

Besides, how can you know that the standard of "good" presented in the Bible is really the ultimate standard of good? What if it's not? What if Yahweh isn't the only real god and what if he is not a god at all? How can we know for sure? If I were to judge Yahweh's actions, based on his own definition of "good" then I would say he is just as imperfect as most humans. He would be no better than any of his creations, maybe even more evil than most of them. Of course, if he exists, then he defines himself as perfect, just, and good, so this would also mean that if his definitions of those words are perfect and the human definitions of those words are flawed, then that would mean that the most evil dictators in the history of the Earth would have been perfect, just, and good, if they had been gods instead of humans.

AspieRogue wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
wasnt that the point of the jesus story?

God being "one of us" - that is- taking the form of a mere mortal human "slob on the bus"?

Ditto that. Also, since God created us in His image, if you want to see God just look around.

I'm @ work working for me old man ATM. Are you telling me that my dad is GOD???

:lmao:

I think he was supposed to mean that your dad and other people would look like God. Of course, if it's the god of the Bible, then only men look like him and women do not, because women weren't created in his image. They were just created to serve the men and look a little bit different. Of course, being male or female would be materialistic attributes that a powerful being without a physical body could not have. So it might have the persona of a man(one that thinks women are inferior), so in that case, men would be created in God's persona, not image.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 4:32 pm

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
If I recall correctly, the original Hebrew does not contain vowels. So Yahweh is written as YHWH and the vowel sounds are open to interpretation. Yahwah is just as valid, as is Yehwah, or my favourite (wish I knew where I found this now...) - Yoohoowoohoo.

I laughed so hard at that, tea came out my nose!

And you just know that this can be layered over with campy inflection, making God one of us. (And hey, John was the one that Jesus loved best, so maybe the apple didn't fall so far from the tree...)

25 Sep 2012, 5:45 pm

The belief in a humanoid God is very much the hallmark of paganism. I thought the whole Judeo-Christian idea of God is that he is not human and can take ANY shape or form he chooses!

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:58 pm

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
If I recall correctly, the original Hebrew does not contain vowels. So Yahweh is written as YHWH and the vowel sounds are open to interpretation. Yahwah is just as valid, as is Yehwah, or my favourite (wish I knew where I found this now...) - Yoohoowoohoo.

As a practicing Semitist and philologer, I feel the best available [data are LIMited] reconstructed vocalization is approximately "yahoo" [compare eg Bibi] which is a fun exclamation and ties in intriguingly with Dean Swift's oeuvre.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 3:26 pm

Hed probably be an aspie.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 11:18 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
The belief in a humanoid God is very much the hallmark of paganism. I thought the whole Judeo-Christian idea of God is that he is not human and can take ANY shape or form he chooses!

I think the differences between paganism and Christianity is that paganism holds the general view that everything is God, where Christianity doesn't see everything as divine. I think its its ties to neo-Platonism and the idea that God is found strictly in ideals and not the material world that's the root of this thinking. Paganism (in the common understanding of the term) sees dualism as part of the divine plan, and Christianity sees negatives (pain, suffering, lies, illusion) as a kind of mistake that's in the process of restoration. If there was a tendency for the pagan religions to personify God, it was because they saw divinity in the negative traits, as well as positive. If your whole view of God is perfection, you're obviously not going to find it in human beings. If you see chaos and destruction as well as order and peace as part of a divine whole, then you'll definitely see it reflected in humans.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 11:45 pm

Luke12:24
Consider the ravens:
they neither sow nor reap:which neither have storehouse or barn;and God feedeth them:...

I feed the crows everyday,so then at least to them I am God.

Dues Pascit Corvos.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 1:51 am

Consider the Bal Chuva and you'll understand why people have to sin. A Bal Chuva is a Jewish person who lived in sin but returns to the ways. (Although he isn't perfect, he's forsaken evil.)

For it is said

Where the Bal Chuva stands, the perfectly righteous cannot approach.

Why?

Think about something you really love. Let's say pork.

Now let's eating pork is a sin.

The perfectly righteous man never tastes pork. Therefore he never knows how good it tastes, and thus he doesn't know what he's missing.

The Bal Chuva, before he returns, is in a bacon of the month club. Then he decides to return and give it up.

He knows how good it is, yet chooses to reject it out of love for God and a desire to follow his commandments.

awes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2012, 3:43 am

If god was one of us we would pray to this other guy who would be liable for our existence then... Steve.
Anyway, god would have been dead for thousands of years already in this case so nobody would even know him.

To be true, I never understood this quotation, "what if god was one of us". Where exactly is the sense of this question?
Probably if somebody is religious this question just touches him or her and that's the magic behind it...

---> ;D http://www.youtube.com/user/IIIIIawesIIIII

YOU'RE ALL WELCOME!

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 5:32 am

he would be in jail for raping a young virgin in her sleep, making her pregnant and run of… one can only wonder why sex is a sin according to religion… this prick could not keep his dick for himself before marriage.

he also would face trials for genocide and other crimes to humanity… but he dictates that "thou shall not kill"… while he himself has killed the worlds population many times over.

the list goes on and on. it is ridiculous!

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 5:35 am

Thom_Fuleri wrote:

YiHaWeHo!

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 6:23 am

aspi-rant wrote:
Thom_Fuleri wrote:

YiHaWeHo!

Bless you.

Anyways, could it be.....Cthulhu?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 6:26 am

I think a much more entertaining question would be: What if God was a lobster?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 6:36 am

how could god be one of us? god cannot fit inside the universe let alone into just one person in it.
maybe some people can be direct conduits to god, but god is beyond reality because if the universe is gods creation, then god is all around it and all through it, but the universe is not big enough to contain god (even if the universe is infinite in all directions and manifestations).
i believe in god because i have arrived at "divisions by zero" errors in my speculation of how everything came to be, and i can only think that there must have been one true miracle that caused eternity to spring from nothing originally. to summon infinity from zero is surely a miracle.

i am not a philosopher so that is all i have to say.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 11:45 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think a much more entertaining question would be: What if God was a lobster?

All hail the Great Lobster! He boiled for our sins!

b9 wrote:
how could god be one of us? god cannot fit inside the universe let alone into just one person in it.

So Jesus was a fake?

There is no reason to think God could not fit inside his own creation. Consider the oyster, or the clam. It knits itself a shell in which to live. Birds make nests that hold many birds. Humans build skyscrapers. We are not limited to making things smaller than us - why would an omnipotent being be?

Quote:
to summon infinity from zero is surely a miracle.
i am not a philosopher so that is all i have to say.

Or a mathematician. :)

awes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2012, 11:53 am

At least god would have to be of a higher dimension to be physically able to be connected to each given particle in the 3 dimensional universe. Considered the three big religious books, the tora such as the two serial novels of the tora, the bible and the Quran, god is not independent from time, so it is not the fourth dimension but one of the elementary particles' dimensions...

smart ass bastard - over!

---> ;D http://www.youtube.com/user/IIIIIawesIIIII

YOU'RE ALL WELCOME!