Mr. Allen is a creep; Equal is not necessarily a desideratum 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Mr. Allen is okay; Only equal relationships are healthy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mr. Allen is okay; Equal is not necessarily a desideratum 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 5:00 pm

Woody Allen and Mia Farrow were something of an item from 1980 until 1992, after Miss Farrow had discovered some nude photos that Mr. Allen (then 56 years old) had taken of her adopted daughter, Soon-Yi (then 20 years old). Mr. Allen and Soon Yi married in 1997.

In a Time Magazine interview,

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 39,00.html

Quote:
Q. Do you consider it a healthy, equal relationship?

A. Well, who knows? It's perfectly healthy. But I don't think equal is necessarily a desideratum. Sometimes equality in a relationship is great, sometimes inequality makes it work. But it's an equal-opportunity relationship. I mean, I'm not equal to her in certain ways.

The heart wants what it wants. There's no logic to those things. You meet someone and you fall in love and that's that.

Mr. Allen and Soon-Yi seem still to have an excellent relationship

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/376708/ ... al-mia.htm

However, the son of Woody Allen and Mia Farrow still has some serious Daddy issues.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainme ... -day-bomb/

So, what do ye think of Woody Allen, and can inequality be good in a relationship?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 9:14 am

Woody Allen is a Dirty Old Man.

ruveyn

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 9:42 am

Aren't we all, Ruveyn? :)

Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Aug 2012, 9:51 am

I don't even think about Woody Allen. If they are happy, that's good for them. But really I don't watch many Woody Allen movies or pay attention to him. Midnight in Paris was a great one though. I think that might be the only film from Woody Allen that I've seen.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 10:30 am

6655321 wrote:
I don't even think about Woody Allen. If they are happy, that's good for them. But really I don't watch many Woody Allen movies or pay attention to him. Midnight in Paris was a great one though. I think that might be the only film from Woody Allen that I've seen.

As an artist, he has had his moments. As a person, he is a creep.

ruveyn

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 11:02 am

ruveyn wrote:
6655321 wrote:

As an artist, he has had his moments. As a person, he is a creep.

ruveyn

I'll bet he gets that a lot.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 9:39 am

Sour grapes, much?

I'm guessing that had either Ruveyn or I had been in Woody's situation, then either Ruveyn or I would have ended up with the hot young blossom. :wink:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 9:40 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Sour grapes, much?

I'm guessing that had either Ruveyn or I had been in Woody's situation, then either Ruveyn or I would have ended up with the hot young blossom. :wink:

Perhaps, but not a step-daughter. That is a betrayal of trust and authority.

ruveyn

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 10:02 am

Leviticus 18 wrote:
Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of a woman and her daughter, neither shalt thou take her son's daughter, or her daughter's daughter, to uncover her nakedness; for they are her near kinswomen: it is wickedness.

If you go by the Good News translation, he seems to have a loop-hole.

Quote:
Do not have intercourse with the daughter or granddaughter of a woman with whom you have had intercourse; they may be related to you, and that would be incest.

He obviously isn't related to his stepdaughter, so there was no incest. I'm guessing that the original Hebrew is closer to King Jimmy's translation above.

I'm reminded of one of my favourite movies: The Graduate.

I'm guessing that, according to modern ethical standards: she had reached the age of consent, they were unrelated, so fair game.

John Lyly wrote:
The rules of fair play do not apply in love and war.

However, there are probably those who feel that a rich old man shouldn't be entitled to a hot young chick,

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 11:52 am

What do you have against equality in relationships? Is it not sexy, or something?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 2:49 pm

I'm not opposed to people pursuing equality in their relationships. À chacun son goût.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 6:13 pm

In places like Singapore and Taiwan, spouses are usually chosen from within one's social stratum. Husbands and wives are more equal than elsewhere.

http://mathialee.wordpress.com/2012/05/ ... lity-rate/

If you're Woody Allen,

Rupert Murdoch

or Donald Trump

then the pickings would be very small, and probably unattractive, if you were limiting your spouse choices to women from your own social caste. And, what would be the point? You've got all of the money that you need. Doubling your family wealth by selecting a wife from your own stratum wouldn't make you any happier. Might as well find a woman who is HAWT and be content.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 7:27 pm

I dont care. Woody Allen is funny.

The funniest thing Ive heard someone else say about him is that Allen's first movies were good but then he spent 30 years remaking them. Christopher Plummer.