Which Political Party Has Christian Values?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Which Political Party Has Christian Values?
Democrats 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
Greens 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Libertarians 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Republicans 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
Other: ________________ (Please Explain Below) 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 16

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 5:05 pm

Which of these political parties do you think is most closely associate with "Christian Values"?

• Democrats (Barack Obama, Joe Biden)
  • Greens (Jill Stein, Cheri Honkala)
  • Libertarians (Gary Johnson, Jim Gray)
  • Republicans (Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan)
(NOTE: These are the only parties with access to 270 or more electoral votes for the 2012 presidential election. A minimum of 270 electoral votes is necessary for election to the U.S. presidency, regardless of popular votes. Parties are listed in alphabetical order, with their respective presidential and vice-presidential candidates in parentheses.)

Traditionally, "Christian Values" included at least these Biblical teachings of Jesus (maybe more):
  • Fidelity in Marriage: "Whom God has joined together let no man put asunder" (Matthew 19:6).
  • Forgiveness of Sins: "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us" (Luke 11:4).
  • Love of God: "You shall love the Lord your God with all of your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind" (Matthew 22:37).
  • Unconditional Love: "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5:44).
  • Renunciation of Violence: "If a man strikes you on one cheek, turn the other cheek" (Matthew 5:39).
  • Renunciation of Worldly Goods: "Gather not your riches up upon this earth, for there your heart will be also" (Matthew 6:19-21).
Currently, the phrase "Christian Values" has come to imply or include at least these values, as well (maybe more):
  • Censorship of sexual content, especially in movies and on television.
  • Sexual abstinence outside of marriage and abstinence-only education.
  • Support for laws against the acceptance of homosexuality into mainstream society.
  • Support for traditional complimentary roles for men and women in the family (e.g., Wage-earning husband and father, stay-at-home wife and mother).
  • The desirability of laws against induced abortion and same-sex marriage.
  • The desirability of organized Christian prayer in public schools.
  • The promotion of Bible-based concepts to be taught in public schools and colleges as alternatives to concepts of science.
Thank you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 5:08 pm

You should really point out that this is for U.S. politics only.

We do have some parties associated with Christian values in Britain, but they tend to be very socially conservative and really get more ignored and mocked than anything else. They are also a part of the Tory party.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 6:23 pm

While I hardly think any political party lives up to the Christian ideal, I see the Republicans with all their bigoted condemnation of gays, their inane claim that they want to save the poor from enslavement by the "nanny state" by eliminating social programs, and the moral hypocrisy of many of their most ardent pro family values leaders, I think it's fair to say that the Republicans don't live up to the teachings of Christ.
For all the Democrats failings, at least they've been the point of the spear when it comes to the care of the poor, and civil rights for racial and sexual minorities.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 6:47 pm

American Independent Party (Tom Hoefling, J.D. Ellis), or American Third Position Party (Merlin Miller, Harry Bertram) if in favor of white supremacy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 10:21 pm

Mike1 wrote:
American Independent Party (Tom Hoefling, J.D. Ellis), or American Third Position Party (Merlin Miller, Harry Bertram) if in favor of white supremacy.

:!: :?: :!: :?:

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 10:23 pm

Well considering the Democrats just had a war over removing God from their platform, that doesn't speak volumes.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 10:48 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
Well considering the Democrats just had a war over removing God from their platform, that doesn't speak volumes.

Why? Just because many Democrats don't want to be perceived as wearing their religion on their sleeve, like the Republicans?

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2012, 11:07 pm

If the electoral college is predominantly comprised of people with Christian values, that would make any "recognized" competitor a representative of such.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 11:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
Traditionally, "Christian Values" included at least these Biblical teachings of Jesus (maybe more):
  • Fidelity in Marriage: "Whom God has joined together let no man put asunder" (Matthew 19:6).
  • Forgiveness of Sins: "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us" (Luke 11:4).
  • Love of God: "You shall love the Lord your God with all of your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind" (Matthew 22:37).
  • Unconditional Love: "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5:44).
  • Renunciation of Violence: "If a man strikes you on one cheek, turn the other cheek" (Matthew 5:39).
  • Renunciation of Worldly Goods: "Gather not your riches up upon this earth, for there your heart will be also" (Matthew 6:19-21).
Currently, the phrase "Christian Values" has come to imply or include at least these values, as well (maybe more):
  • Censorship of sexual content, especially in movies and on television.
  • Sexual abstinence outside of marriage and abstinence-only education.
  • Support for laws against the acceptance of homosexuality into mainstream society.
  • Support for traditional complimentary roles for men and women in the family (e.g., Wage-earning husband and father, stay-at-home wife and mother).
  • The desirability of laws against induced abortion and same-sex marriage.
  • The desirability of organized Christian prayer in public schools.
  • The promotion of Bible-based concepts to be taught in public schools and colleges as alternatives to concepts of science.
Thank you.

Turn the other cheek is badly misunderstood. Several denominations were built largely around that verse, yet it is totally taken out of it's original ancient middle eastern context. The original context is in line with Luke 22:36: Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

As for the parties, I think the republicans try more. It's standard procedure in the democrats playbook to accuse republicans of not being more charitable, but it's not Biblical to expect that you are entitled to be given money and other goods and services of any value.

An old country preacher had a teenage son. It was getting time the boy should give some thought to choosing a profession; like many young Men his age the boy didn't really know what he wanted to do, and he didn't seem too concerned about it. One day, while the boy was away at school, his father decided to try an experiment. He went into the boy's room and placed on his study table four objects...

A Bible, a silver dollar, a bottle of whiskey, and a Playboy magazine.

'I'll just hide behind the door,' the old preacher said to himself. 'When he comes home from school today, I'll see which object he picks up.

If it's the Bible, he's going to be a preacher like me, and what a blessing that would be!

If he picks up the dollar, he's going to be a business man, and that would be okay, too.

But if he picks up the bottle, he's going to be a no-good drunken bum, and Lord, what a shame that would be.

And worst of all if he picks up that magazine he's going to be a skirt-chasing womanizer.'

The old man waited anxiously, and soon heard his son's foot-steps as he entered the house whistling and headed for his room. The boy tossed his books on the bed and as he turned to leave the room he spotted the objects on the table..

With curiosity in his eye he walked over to inspect them. Finally, he picked up the Bible and placed it under his arm. He then picked up the silver dollar and dropped into his pocket. He uncorked the bottle and took a big drink while he admired this month's centerfold.

'Lord have mercy,' the old preacher disgustedly whispered.
'He's gonna run for Congress.'

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

07 Sep 2012, 2:26 am

Those of us who are informed and intelligent(unlike far-rightists, who are always dumber than a post) seem to get what the republicans are all about: Espousing high moral ideals so that one doesn't have to live up to them. That's exactly what Sarah Falin did, and boy did she do it badly. Christianity is NOT about peace and equality! It is about being submissive. So I would say that the old, southern Democratic party had far more christian values than either modern dems or repubs.

However, many contemporary conservatives are working class white trash. Which is part of why I fit the definition of a "liberal" in their eyes since I'm an unapologetic elitist who understands how destruction and stupid the common folk are and recognizes that centralization preserves civilization.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 3:29 am

AspieRogue wrote:
However, many contemporary conservatives are working class white trash. Which is part of why I fit the definition of a "liberal" in their eyes since I'm an unapologetic elitist who understands how destruction and stupid the common folk are and recognizes that centralization preserves civilization.

The hatred drips from your every word.

As for centralization: worked wonders for the glorious Soviet Union, didn't it?

Danimal
Toucan
Toucan

07 Sep 2012, 3:40 am

My dream is an election completely free of religion. I'm so tired of hearing about Romney's Mormonism and whether Obama is a Muslim. We are not electing the minister-in-chief.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:59 am

Danimal wrote:
My dream is an election completely free of religion.

I sympathise. Religion should not be an ishoo in politics.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 7:32 am

The political parties are whited sepulchers. They are cesspools of hypocrisy. The name of the game is to achieve a position of power over one's fellow humans. Ugh!! !! Unclean, unclean!

ruveyn

07 Sep 2012, 10:38 am

Tequila wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

The hatred drips from your every word.

As for centralization: worked wonders for the glorious Soviet Union, didn't it?

I guess I'm not a true liberal now am I? :lol: Liberals in the US are always trying to shame those who have opposing views as "filled with hate".

What brought down the Soviet Union was not its centralized authority, but a host of economic problems which I won't get into ITT cuz that's a birdwalk. The Roman empires decline was caused by a number of factors but what truly accelerated it and lead to it's eventual collapse was decentralization. China is highly centralized and their civilization is much older than ours.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 11:24 am

To me, the one Christian value that encompasses all others is "love one another".
I voted for the Democrats, who at least give the impression they care about the poor and want to raise the standard of living for average Americans.
The Republicans seem to want a nation of ignorant sweatshop workers.