Which Political Party Has Christian Values?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Which Political Party Has Christian Values?
Democrats 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
Greens 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Libertarians 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Republicans 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
Other: ________________ (Please Explain Below) 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 16

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 11:28 am

YippySkippy wrote:
To me, the one Christian value that encompasses all others is "love one another".

Can I love that woman over there in the nice top and the big breasts? Do I get a choice? I don't want to love that sweaty bearded fat man with halitosis.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Sep 2012, 11:29 am

The traditional values: probably the Greens, particularly renunciation of material goods

The "modern" values (I think these are only seen as Christian values in conservative nations): the Republicans.

Basically the modern values (hatred of homosexuals in particular) contradict the traditional values (love unconditionally).

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 11:30 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Basically the modern values (hatred of homosexuals in particular) contradict the traditional values (love unconditionally).

Why would you want to love people unconditionally? What is that, insanity?

I agree that the hatred of gays is vile though. They're just people like everyone else.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 11:42 am

Quote:
Can I love that woman over there in the nice top and the big breasts? Do I get a choice? I don't want to love that sweaty bearded fat man with halitosis.

You're supposed to love them both equally. The good news is, it's not that kind of love. :wink:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Sep 2012, 11:51 am

Tequila wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Why would you want to love people unconditionally? What is that, insanity?

I agree that the hatred of gays is vile though. They're just people like everyone else.

It does go against human common sense, but I also think it is a good thing. I have real admiration, for example, for the woman who forgave her son's murderer because of her faith.

The point of my post wasn't about the worth of either value, but simply that one contradicts the other.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 11:54 am

The_Walrus wrote:
I have real admiration, for example, for the woman who forgave her son's murderer because of her faith.

Depends what "forgive" means. Does it mean "doesn't wish an appalling death to" or does it mean that "it's all right really"?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 12:01 pm

Christian values seem to change depending on the century, decade, year or even month. I'd ask Jesus what the values that take his name actually are but he's out back taking hits off the bong and can't be bothered with trivialities right ow

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 12:06 pm

Vigilans wrote:
I'd ask Jesus what the values that take his name actually are but he's out back taking hits off the bong and can't be bothered with trivialities right ow

Does he make a nice paella?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 12:10 pm

Tequila wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
I'd ask Jesus what the values that take his name actually are but he's out back taking hits off the bong and can't be bothered with trivialities right ow

Does he make a nice paella?

He actually invented it!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Sep 2012, 12:44 pm

Tequila wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I have real admiration, for example, for the woman who forgave her son's murderer because of her faith.

Depends what "forgive" means. Does it mean "doesn't wish an appalling death to" or does it mean that "it's all right really"?

The latter.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm

I think one thing people misunderstand when they quote "Jesus hung out with the sinners" and "Love your neighbor as yourself" there is more there than meets the eye.

Jesus hung out with the sinners, but he wanted them to stop sinning.

Love your neighbor as yourself, I love myself and want to go to heaven when I die. I would want the same for my neighbor.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 2:22 pm

Tequila wrote:
You should really point out that this is for U.S. politics only.

We do have some parties associated with Christian values in Britain, but they tend to be very socially conservative and really get more ignored and mocked than anything else. They are also a part of the Tory party.

You should write one up for the UK.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 8:13 am

Quote:
I think one thing people misunderstand when they quote "Jesus hung out with the sinners" and "Love your neighbor as yourself" there is more there than meets the eye.

If you're referencing my post, I was not talking about "Love thy neighbor". I was talking about "Love one another, for God is love." I think it's in Romans, but I'm not 100% sure.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 8:15 am

JakobVirgil wrote:
You should write one up for the UK.

The largest Christian party in the UK is the DUP. Which says a lot.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2012, 4:25 pm

Tequila wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

What it really means is "It does not bother me that you killed my son, because he's up in Heaven and I know that one day, God's going to be torturing you..." That is what "forgive" probably means in that situation.