Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

13 Sep 2012, 11:03 pm

Warum gibt es keine?

**Translation** WHY IS THERE NO AUTOBAHN IN THE USofA?

I really think there should be a major freeway without a speed limit whatsoever. Never understood why in one of Europe's most law and order Nations there is a freeway with no speed restriction.

14 Sep 2012, 5:32 am

Bump

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 6:09 am

A road with no spped limit would have to carry a low traffic density otherwise it would become an abbettoire. Out in western states like Montana they used to have no speed limit during daylight but this was changed in the 1970's when a speed limit of 70 mph was imposed in daylight. I remember driving in Montana in the prespeedlimit days. I had no problem handling 85 mph (but I was younger then and I had better reflexes)

The problem comes with truck traffic. The trucks go much slower than autos and they act as obstacles which mean lots of lane changing. Changing lanes is what produces the hazard on high speed roads.

ruveyn

14 Sep 2012, 10:20 am

ruveyn wrote:
A road with no spped limit would have to carry a low traffic density otherwise it would become an abbettoire. Out in western states like Montana they used to have no speed limit during daylight but this was changed in the 1970's when a speed limit of 70 mph was imposed in daylight. I remember driving in Montana in the prespeedlimit days. I had no problem handling 85 mph (but I was younger then and I had better reflexes)

The problem comes with truck traffic. The trucks go much slower than autos and they act as obstacles which mean lots of lane changing. Changing lanes is what produces the hazard on high speed roads.

ruveyn

I say such a freeway should ban freight trucks, buses, and any pickup truck with a trailer or a load that requires securing.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 10:21 am

you can still be stopped fopr speeding on the autobahn, if the cop deems your speed reckless to the point of endangerment.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 11:07 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn
You haven't driven through Texas then there a lot of people drive big pickup trucks like theyrr race cars lol.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 8:20 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn
You haven't driven through Texas then there a lot of people drive big pickup trucks like theyrr race cars lol.

I am talking about 18 wheelers.

ruveyn

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Sep 2012, 7:11 pm

I don't believe there would be enough tax money to make existing (and certainly not NEW) roads safe enough to carry traffic at high rates of speed. Here in PA, most highways aren't wide enough or banked well enough to avoid slippage or collisions caused by speed differences.

What I'm trying to say is: there would be a lot of innocent people getting killed who WEREN'T doing the fast driving, and certainly who would also have no time to get out of danger due to high speed of the other driver, as well as the limitations of their own equipment.

A lot of people here in PA also don't seem to realize that you can't drive a Cavalier like a Ferrari, where as bona fide sportscar owners do assume the risk and speed as they may, with the aid of radar detection,etc.. But, you give that power to incapable people, and you have disasters waiting to happen.

My mom was in an incident in fog where the front wheel became detached from a big rig, setting off a 30 car pileup. She was lucky to be next to a pull-off when it started, where she then assumed the role of comforter for people who were dying or in shock. Excessive speeds would've only aggravated the situation.

15 Sep 2012, 7:38 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
I don't believe there would be enough tax money to make existing (and certainly not NEW) roads safe enough to carry traffic at high rates of speed. Here in PA, most highways aren't wide enough or banked well enough to avoid slippage or collisions caused by speed differences.

What I'm trying to say is: there would be a lot of innocent people getting killed who WEREN'T doing the fast driving, and certainly who would also have no time to get out of danger due to high speed of the other driver, as well as the limitations of their own equipment.

A lot of people here in PA also don't seem to realize that you can't drive a Cavalier like a Ferrari, where as bona fide sportscar owners do assume the risk and speed as they may, with the aid of radar detection,etc.. But, you give that power to incapable people, and you have disasters waiting to happen.

My mom was in an incident in fog where the front wheel became detached from a big rig, setting off a 30 car pileup. She was lucky to be next to a pull-off when it started, where she then assumed the role of comforter for people who were dying or in shock. Excessive speeds would've only aggravated the situation.

Well if something like this is going to be constructed, it should probably be out west. Warning signs should be posted on such a freeway that cautions drivers wishing to go slow(er) to use other routes and drive at their own risk. Perhaps there should be a minimum speed limit.