Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 4:55 pm

Blaaah heads topic

I have never understood why Francophone politiques is so polarized, extreme. Too much raw emotion, just overwhelming. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 7:20 pm

Don Macpherson wrote:
On Tuesday, in the campaign for the Sept. 4 Quebec election, the Parti Québécois promised a “charter of secularism” stipulating that Quebec is religiously “neutral” and banning certain “ostentatious” religious symbols from public services, including the education system.

But the charter would not affect the religious name and symbols on the public school I pass on the bus.

That’s because the ban on religious symbols applies only to those worn by public employees, and really to symbols of minority religious such as Islam; the only “ostentatious” crosses I’ve seen on people in Quebec accompanied piercings and tattoos as a fashion accessory or, much less commonly, the full garb of a religious order.

And the ban would not apply to symbols of Quebec’s “heritage,” such as the crucifix placed on the wall of the National Assembly chamber in 1936 by conservative premier Maurice Duplessis to symbolize an alliance between the government and the Catholic Church.

Like its proposed ban on religious symbols, the PQ’s concern with preserving Quebec’s heritage is selective.

A former PQ government created a “toponymy commission” to wipe off the map centuries-old names given by English-speaking settlers; for example, the Eastern Townships were officially renamed l’Estrie in 1981.

But the PQ would not remove a religious symbol of an alliance between church and state from the Assembly, even after it adopted a charter proclaiming Quebec’s religious neutrality.

It would, however, forbid a Muslim woman from wearing a hijab to teach at the same public school that would continue the ostentatious display of a cross, a statue of the Virgin Mary and the name Very Holy Sacrament.

At least one PQ candidate is uncomfortable with the shameless hypocrisy of her party’s “selecularism.”

Djemila Benhabib said that while she supports the PQ policy in favour of keeping the crucifix in the Assembly, she’s personally in favour of removing it, and would argue in caucus against the platform on which she would have been elected.

The PQ has turned the week in the campaign before the televised leaders’ debates into Identity Week.

Two days before it unveiled its proposed secularism charter, it promised to introduce a “new Bill 101” in the first 100 days of a PQ government.

This is what’s known in U.S. politics as “red meat for the base.”

In the case of the PQ, its purpose is to get the party’s base of support to turn out to vote despite the absence of a commitment on holding a sovereignty referendum.

It’s also known as “dog-whistle politics,” sending a message with a second meaning to some voters — in this case the xenophobes whom Gilles Duceppe, former leader of the Bloc Québécois, has called “blue necks.”

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Mac ... z242bZSqu2

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 8:00 pm

This latest "secularism" thing is extremely laughable, I can't believe how many idiots in this province buy into Marois' poisonous rhetoric

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 3:21 am

I certainly don't like Marois, and like the PQ even less. But anything is better than Charest.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 9:10 am

enrico_dandolo wrote:
I certainly don't like Marois, and like the PQ even less. But anything is better than Charest.

Anything... except the PQ, CAQ and QS, really :lol: we have a choice between the s**t we know and the s**t we don't. Though the PQ has made clear what their plans are within the first 100 days. If they get elected I get to look forward to my rights being violated and my voice being suppressed even more so. Hurray for the PQ! Marois is also a giant hypocrite, look into her business dealings before you say the PQ is better than Charest. She is literally just as corrupt if not more than the PLQ. In this choice I would take the corrupt PLQ over the corrupt, xenophobic, racist and nationalist PQ

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 11:23 am

sartresue wrote:
Blaaah heads topic

I have never understood why Francophone politiques is so polarized, extreme. Too much raw emotion, just overwhelming. :roll:

As opposed to the sedate politics that we see elsewhere?

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:17 pm

The PQ remembers what happened under Boisclair... and how the ADQ capitalised on that. Charest was supposed to be finished after his disastrous first term, but the split of the PQ coalition caused by Boisclair's leadership and the positions he took as well as, unfortunately, his personal life is what gave Charest more time in power.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:21 pm

xenon13 wrote:
The PQ remembers what happened under Boisclair... and how the ADQ capitalised on that. Charest was supposed to be finished after his disastrous first term, but the split of the PQ coalition caused by Boisclair's leadership and the positions he took as well as, unfortunately, his personal life is what gave Charest more time in power.

It was all Boisclair's fault eh... definitely has nothing to do with Quebeckers being long weary with the PQ and its BS

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:25 pm

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:32 pm

Vigilans wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

It was all Boisclair's fault eh... definitely has nothing to do with Quebeckers being long weary with the PQ and its BS

Let me explain one more time. Andre Boisclair was a protege of Lucien Bouchard who openly condemned the veiled appeals to xenophobia in the PQ. Boisclair was openly urban, secularist (he wanted a crucifix removed from the National Assembly) and gay! Meanwhile, Mario Dumont and the ADQ went on about "accomodment raisonnable", to essentially attack immigrants for keeping their culture and appealing to that xenophobia that Boisclair refused to do. The result was the ADQ won lots of seats in rural areas and finished second and Charest was allowed to stay in power despite his being the most unpopular premiership ever up until that point! When Pauline Marois took over the PQ, she very quickly seized upon Dumont's themes as if to acknowledge that the lesson has been learned.

The PQ had the 2007 election in the bag and had Bernard Landry stayed on they would have won surely... that's how unpopular Charest was. Boisclair tried his luck, split the PQ coalition with the help of a more seasoned Dumont running the ADQ. The PQ was punished for not doing this "BS" as you put it.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 8:09 pm

Meh. The PQ is non-sense, but the Liberals are much worse, and the CAQ is the ADQ with a plausible leader. There is no good choice there, but the PQ is the least pathetic of them.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 9:39 pm

xenon13 wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

Let me explain one more time. Andre Boisclair was a protege of Lucien Bouchard who openly condemned the veiled appeals to xenophobia in the PQ. Boisclair was openly urban, secularist (he wanted a crucifix removed from the National Assembly) and gay! Meanwhile, Mario Dumont and the ADQ went on about "accomodment raisonnable", to essentially attack immigrants for keeping their culture and appealing to that xenophobia that Boisclair refused to do. The result was the ADQ won lots of seats in rural areas and finished second and Charest was allowed to stay in power despite his being the most unpopular premiership ever up until that point! When Pauline Marois took over the PQ, she very quickly seized upon Dumont's themes as if to acknowledge that the lesson has been learned.

The PQ had the 2007 election in the bag and had Bernard Landry stayed on they would have won surely... that's how unpopular Charest was. Boisclair tried his luck, split the PQ coalition with the help of a more seasoned Dumont running the ADQ. The PQ was punished for not doing this "BS" as you put it.

So.. Boisclair ruined the PQ's chances for being open minded and reasonable about sovereignty? This is exactly why I think the PQ is BS.

enrico_dandolo wrote:
Meh. The PQ is non-sense, but the Liberals are much worse, and the CAQ is the ADQ with a plausible leader. There is no good choice there, but the PQ is the least pathetic of them.

...how is a party that is openly xenophobic, unprincipled, and supports literally tyrannical laws less pathetic than the essentially crappy other parties? Not that the Pequistes hold a monopoly on xenophobia. The whole "French language is under threat!! !" meme is something really easy for they and their fellow sovereigntists to play upon. I was looking at Pauline Marois' Facebook page and some of the things her supporters were posting- one of my favorites by far was pictures of PLQ posters from Beaconsfield or Baie D'Urfe (two very English communities) and other West Island communities; the people who posted them were bitching about how the English was the same size as the French on these posters, and so many people were in agreement with him, a veritable chorus of "the Anglophones have no respect for Quebec, need to get out of this province, etc etc etc". This province has huge amounts of debt, corruption, crumbling infrastructure, and the idiotic PQ and their idiotic supporters are rallying around such trivialities as English being of equal size on political signs in significant English communities? The PQ are the most pathetic political party in Canada, and if the Republicans would drop the evangelicalism from their party line, possibly the most pathetic successful party in North America. They are reactionary opportunists, they will continue driving this province into the ground.. Marois' treatment of the recent tuition conflict is a great example of her opportunism. She gladly put the red square on her lapel but as the protests became unpopular it was quite noticeable that she would either have it on or off depending on the audience she was speaking for.

The CAQ is also worthless crap, and equally dishonest, pandering to Anglo voters saying quite clearly "We won't think of holding a referendum- for the next ten years" and "We will not change Bill 101 but we will enforce it more strongly". How dumb do they figure the Anglophones and Allophones are?

Next election the NDP will have a provincial party, which will be interesting as I hope they will open more discussion about the real issues that plague this province. As is there is no good option for Anglophones in this province, since all parties are willing to either work directly for our disenfranchisement and eventual displacement from our home, or will look the other way at this violation [like the PLQ]. I also say there is no good option for sovereigntists uninterested in the reactionary xenophobia of the PQ and other parties like it. This last group is actually a pretty large number of Quebeckers, I suspect most intellectual sovereigntists fall into this category, such as xenon13 unless I have really misjudged him.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 9:55 pm

They are all crappy and opportunist to the same extent. We know that Charest is also incompetent, dangerous and power-crazed. Marois probably is, or will become within four years, but at least, we don't know it yet, so we have to give het the benefit of the doubt. Of course, she says absolutely nothing intelligible, but Legault says many thing, and all of them include magic. So I think Marois is the least horrible possibility, if only because we don't know yet that it would fail. Hopefully it'll be a minority government...

I don't care about sovereignty and I wish people shut up about the language, but yeah... It's not like there is much choice, either. The hypothetical "tyrannical laws" will not be obeyed anyway, whereas Charest is truly dangerous.

And calm down on the word "reactionnary". The word doesn't apply here. "Xenophobic" is fine, but there is no reaction going on.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 10:09 pm

Have you looked at what she wants to do in the first 100 days? How is that in any way the least horrible possibility? How are they not reactionary? How are Bill 101, the OQLF and other related institutions of government sponsored prejudice not reactionary? How is commenting every once in a while that it is horrific to hear English in Montreal and this must be addressed with extreme prejudice not reactionary?

No PQ politicians get the benefit of doubt from me, ever, they have a poor track record that goes back decades. The party is a travesty of democracy and it disappoints me you refuse to see their excess. Bill 101 is a tyrannical law and is certainly not hypothetical or given only lip service; if that were actually the case, the OQLF would not exist and would not harass and levy fines on people and businesses

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 10:23 pm

Look up what reactionnary means. What the PQ does is not it. I don't say what they do or want to do is right, "reactionnary" simply is not the right word. Anyway, there can't be a reaction because there hasn't been a revolution in the first place.

I don't particularly like the language laws, but it's only a small part of the big picture. Charest is dangerous. He creates unrest for tactical purposes, his reality twisting record goes on and on, and he is absolutely no good at anything but tactical maneuvering. I don't see how it could be worse.