Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 4:50 pm

Apparently back in the early 90's Trump was pulling double duty as not just himself but also his own publicist. He would call magazines acting as a publicist for Donald Trump and toot his own horn in the third person to reporters. My first thought was: George Costanza. My second thought: for all his alleged wealth, if elected he'll still be the lowest class president we've had. Video below:

Article (with video, yay!)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 4:54 pm

Nothing like "Tootin your own horn". Too bad no one asked him to play.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 5:12 pm

Well, this election cycle could not be described as an embarrassment of riches.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 5:40 pm

I don't know why anyone would care, even if you could prove this was true.

People should just hammer Trump relentlessly on his inconsistencies and lack of specific details. Instead digging up something like this just looks desperate and pathetic. Unless they're scared their own policies wouldn't hold up under the same level of scrutiny, or that Trump might actually be able to withstand such scrutiny. So they go with trying to paint him as a racist or sexist or call him Drumpf, or dig around in his past for bits of dirt. Even though this stuff has if anything only made him stronger. It just all reeks of desperation and a lack of belief in their own strength to me.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 5:43 pm

Drake wrote:
I don't know why anyone would care, even if you could prove this was true.

People should just hammer Trump relentlessly on his inconsistencies and lack of specific details. Instead digging up something like this just looks desperate and pathetic. Unless they're scared their own policies wouldn't hold up under the same level of scrutiny, or that Trump might actually be able to withstand such scrutiny. So they go with trying to paint him as a racist or sexist or call him Drumpf, or dig around in his past for bits of dirt. Even though this stuff has if anything only made him stronger. It just all reeks of desperation and a lack of belief in their own strength to me.

Actually, what it shows me is his complete lack of balls-- he couldn't just call the reporters and say it was him because he has no balls, just a loud bark. Easier to hide behind a made-up facade, much like his candidacy to this point.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 5:45 pm

I have been saying what Drake said for a while.

He sucks when if comes to detail, stick to policy questions.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 5:47 pm

I don't think Trump's a coward, but that's an interesting comparison.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 5:48 pm

0_equals_true wrote:

Doesn't quite work that way here in the States, we have one position at the top not two like Britain. Basically when our president goes abroad he serves not just the function of PM but also the function the Queen currently holds (first citizen in diplomatic relations). His behavior is a reflection of our nation, therefore his behavior is important.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 5:51 pm

Drake wrote:

I live in a backwater area. I've noticed over time that those that shout loudest are also the most cowardly. They like to intimidate through yelling so as to avoid an actual physical confrontation while still getting their way. Trump may not be one of the people I'm describing, but he certainly has behaviors that remind me of them.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 5:52 pm

0_equals_true wrote:

Yeah, he seems pretty good at defending himself on some business type issues, but other than that he's very vague. You might have been able to initially cut him some slack with not being a politician, but things are dead serious now and he needs to be made to show that he and his people know what they're doing and have concrete plans and policies that can be outlined in detail and stand up to scrutiny.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 5:59 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Drake wrote:

I live in a backwater area. I've noticed over time that those that shout loudest are also the most cowardly. They like to intimidate through yelling so as to avoid an actual physical confrontation while still getting their way. Trump may not be one of the people I'm describing, but he certainly has behaviors that remind me of them.

I don't know if it's just me, but Trump hasn't seemed that loud to me. I don't watch a great deal of him, but most of the time he just talks and really only seems loud when there's a crowd in attendance. Which is usually at one of his own rallies so he has no opposition anyway. He's certainly not afraid to unload on his opponents though.

He knows he's pissing a lot of people off though, and all it takes is one person with a gun... I really wonder if he would survive his presidency if he was elected.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 6:02 pm

Drake wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Drake wrote:

I don't know if it's just me, but Trump hasn't seemed that loud to me. I don't watch a great deal of him, but most of the time he just talks and really only seems loud when there's a crowd in attendance. Which is usually at one of his own rallies so he has no opposition anyway. He's certainly not afraid to unload on his opponents though.

He knows he's pissing a lot of people off though, and all it takes is one person with a gun... I really wonder if he would survive his presidency if he was elected.

Yeah, I assume he's going to tone it down. He's already started backing off some claims and moving towards the middle. He's not stupid by any means, even though the stuff that exits his mouth is.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 6:07 pm

Trump comes across to me as enjoying himself. Loving the exposure, the attention, loving the whole atmosphere, loving contending with his opponents. He seems totally at ease. If he is putting up a facade, it's a damn good one. He's always been putting himself in the public eye and in the spotlight. He seems like he's in his element to me. And I think that's part of what makes him appeal to people, they see confidence, strength, balls. And that's an image he's been able to cultivate pretty much unchallenged. People just help him with that because they can't seem to knock him out of his stride one bit. Everything is against Trump the man. And he's thriving with that. Few try to take on Trump the presidential candidate. Go for his ideas and policies not Trump himself.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 6:12 pm

Drake wrote:
Trump comes across to me as enjoying himself. Loving the exposure, the attention, loving the whole atmosphere, loving contending with his opponents. He seems totally at ease. If he is putting up a facade, it's a damn good one. He's always been putting himself in the public eye and in the spotlight. He seems like he's in his element to me. And I think that's part of what makes him appeal to people, they see confidence, strength, balls. And that's an image he's been able to cultivate pretty much unchallenged. People just help him with that because they can't seem to knock him out of his stride one bit. Everything is against Trump the man. And he's thriving with that. Few try to take on Trump the presidential candidate. Go for his ideas and policies not Trump himself.

That's the great key, you can't because there are none, except one unfeasible wall plan. He's been very careful not release any policy or anything that could even allude to policy. Just attack, attack, attack. Like I said earlier, that's the behavior I see in a lot of the loud barkers I've talked about-- just attack, attack, attack, and hope they go away. With the people I'm used to dealing with, the moment you drop the gloves they retreat. That's my fear with Trump, he barks and barks, gets in the real game and then gets backed down by someone like Putin or Jinping.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 6:17 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Drake wrote:

That's the great key, you can't because there are none, except one unfeasible wall plan. He's been very careful not release any policy or anything that could even allude to policy. Just attack, attack, attack. Like I said earlier, that's the behavior I see in a lot of the loud barkers I've talked about-- just attack, attack, attack, and hope they go away. With the people I'm used to dealing with, the moment you drop the gloves they retreat. That's my fear with Trump, he barks and barks, gets in the real game and then gets backed down by someone like Putin or Jinping.

So you've got to be relentless with challenging Trump to be specific.

Last edited by Drake on 15 May 2016, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 6:19 pm

Oh and actually there is quite a bit of policy stuff on his website to dig into.