Page 4 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:02 pm

I suppose the only harm (if you view it as such) in wearing secondhand fur is that strangers who see you in it don't know it's secondhand. They just see a lady looking nice in a fur, and might decide to buy a new fur themselves. Indirectly, you could be supporting the sale of new furs.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:24 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I suppose the only harm (if you view it as such) in wearing secondhand fur is that strangers who see you in it don't know it's secondhand. They just see a lady looking nice in a fur, and might decide to buy a new fur themselves. Indirectly, you could be supporting the sale of new furs.

I have a second-hand snakeskin handbag that most people assume is fake. I suspect I'd get more hassle if they knew it wasn't, though those snakes were skinned about 50 years ago.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 10:03 pm

A better idea for second hand fur would be to take them to wildlife shelters and pet shelters they could turn them into bedding for sick and injured animals.

21 Sep 2012, 10:16 pm

Aprilviolets wrote:
A better idea for second hand fur would be to take them to wildlife shelters and pet shelters they could turn them into bedding for sick and injured animals.

:heart:

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 9:34 am

Aprilviolets wrote:

baby mink in wildlife shelter on 2nd hand fur

*sniff sniff*

"mummy?"

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 10:10 am

AspieRogue wrote:
TM wrote:
I don't see an issue with fur, leather or meat. However, I do think that such industries should have to treat their animals in a humane fashion. This may seem contradictory, however, it's highlighted by the difference in a grass fed, cow being slaughtered for meat then processed for its leather and a snake being skinned alive.

And I don't see an issue with involuntary organ extraction! Fur really isn't necessary any longer. People just like it. Organ however, most certainly ARE. Some people who do evil things deserve to be treated as objects as their actions have forfeited any humanity they once had. Quite telling that OliveOilMom failed to acknowledge my rebuttal to her claim that most killers have HEP C or AIDS just because her ex-hubby does.

No, it's not "quite telling" at all, unless by that you mean that I felt calling for involuntary organ donation because people wear fur is a ridulous idea and not even an argument because organ donations, the death penalty nor prisoners have anything to do with fur. It was actually so out there that I didn't bother to respond to it after that.

I also never said my ex had either of those and as far as I know he doesn't. He's had bypass surgery several times and has liver and kidney trouble now because after he married Pat he got really, really fat. Morbidly obese. He doesn't have any diseases but he would probably be healthier if he had them instead of the problems he has now.

So, if you want to come up with crazy, off the wall arguments that will never, ever happen, in response to a totally different topic, feel free to carry on, but I'm not interested in arguing silly stuff. Why not make an involuntary organ donation thread if you want to talk about it? I'm not going to post in it because 1) it will never happen and 2) I have no interest in it.

How does your "argument" have anything to do with wearing fur?

Oh wait, it doesn't. It's just an insane, emotional response based on your feelings that animals are the same as human beings. This is not an attack on you, it's an attack on your "argument". I'm not arguing a non-issue with you.

Carry on.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 10:12 am

Aprilviolets wrote:

I don't thik so! I'm not taking my furs somewhere so dogs can sleep on them! I'll never get another one and I'm keeping the ones I have. If you find any affordable ones second hand and you feel like buying a fairly expensive rag for a dogs bed, feel free to do that, but I'm certainly not doing that. They are beautiful and I like to wear them.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 12:12 pm

AspieRogue wrote:

It is unacceptable to kill ANY member of the Cat family for any reason.

What about this cat? Would it be acceptable to kill this cat?

[img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8458/8012539822_f931446cde_s.jpg[/img]
563906_446483665394276_2010501478_n by OliveOilMom, on Flickr[/img]

22 Sep 2012, 12:15 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
TM wrote:
I don't see an issue with fur, leather or meat. However, I do think that such industries should have to treat their animals in a humane fashion. This may seem contradictory, however, it's highlighted by the difference in a grass fed, cow being slaughtered for meat then processed for its leather and a snake being skinned alive.

And I don't see an issue with involuntary organ extraction! Fur really isn't necessary any longer. People just like it. Organ however, most certainly ARE. Some people who do evil things deserve to be treated as objects as their actions have forfeited any humanity they once had. Quite telling that OliveOilMom failed to acknowledge my rebuttal to her claim that most killers have HEP C or AIDS just because her ex-hubby does.

No, it's not "quite telling" at all, unless by that you mean that I felt calling for involuntary organ donation because people wear fur is a ridulous idea and not even an argument because organ donations, the death penalty nor prisoners have anything to do with fur. It was actually so out there that I didn't bother to respond to it after that.

I also never said my ex had either of those and as far as I know he doesn't. He's had bypass surgery several times and has liver and kidney trouble now because after he married Pat he got really, really fat. Morbidly obese. He doesn't have any diseases but he would probably be healthier if he had them instead of the problems he has now.

So, if you want to come up with crazy, off the wall arguments that will never, ever happen, in response to a totally different topic, feel free to carry on, but I'm not interested in arguing silly stuff. Why not make an involuntary organ donation thread if you want to talk about it? I'm not going to post in it because 1) it will never happen and 2) I have no interest in it.

How does your "argument" have anything to do with wearing fur?

Oh wait, it doesn't. It's just an insane, emotional response based on your feelings that animals are the same as human beings. This is not an attack on you, it's an attack on your "argument". I'm not arguing a non-issue with you.

Carry on.

Last edited by AspieRogue on 22 Sep 2012, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 1:30 pm

I do not think any post with the response that you are going to kill someone is appropriate for any forum.It cool to not approve but I think you crossed a line there.The deer around here are over populated because silly humans killed off all the big predators,there are now cases of Chronic Wasting Disease,they catch it by feeding in crowed areas.To keep things balanced some have to be removed.It's cruel to let animals overpopulate to the point where they get sick.I'm not talking about trophy hunting,or the idiots that kill an animal and only take the hams and loins.And I kill no being.
My son hunts,are you saying you want to kill him??Again,your comment is uncalled for and threatening.Are there missing hunters in your area?

22 Sep 2012, 1:39 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I do not think any post with the response that you are going to kill someone is appropriate for any forum.It cool to not approve but I think you crossed a line there.The deer around here are over populated because silly humans killed off all the big predators,there are now cases of Chronic Wasting Disease,they catch it by feeding in crowed areas.To keep things balanced some have to be removed.It's cruel to let animals overpopulate to the point where they get sick.I'm not talking about trophy hunting,or the idiots that kill an animal and only take the hams and loins.And I kill no being.
My son hunts,are you saying you want to kill him??Again,your comment is uncalled for and threatening.Are there missing hunters in your area?

Acknowledged. I removed that comment. You have to understand that I see people as objects, and in the case of people who do evil things(including harming animals for their fur)I have no ethical or emotional reservations about treating them as commodities.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 1:56 pm

Thank you,I totally agree with you on the treatment of animals.We will never advance as a species if we don't learn to be kind to those beings who really at our mercy.

"All the arguments to prove man's superiority cannot shatter this hard fact:In suffering
The animals are our equals".
Peter Singer

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 6:08 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:

baby mink in wildlife shelter on 2nd hand fur

*sniff sniff*

"mummy?"

Here in australia they can make them into pouches for orphaned joeys.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 6:11 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:

I don't thik so! I'm not taking my furs somewhere so dogs can sleep on them! I'll never get another one and I'm keeping the ones I have. If you find any affordable ones second hand and you feel like buying a fairly expensive rag for a dogs bed, feel free to do that, but I'm certainly not doing that. They are beautiful and I like to wear them.

maybe whoever inhereits them might get them made into animal bedding much more useful to keep an animal warm then a human.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 6:24 pm

Aprilviolets wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:

maybe whoever inhereits them might get them made into animal bedding much more useful to keep an animal warm then a human.

Because animals are more worthy of warmth, right?

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 6:29 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:

Because animals are more worthy of warmth, right?

There are other ways for humans to keep warm then strutting around in someone elses skin.