Page 5 of 28 [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 28  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,051
Location: San Jose

22 Sep 2012, 6:23 am

The confederate flag just represents the South and The confederacy not slavery, unfortunatly the majority of the country believe it to be the flag to support slavery it is not it is just the symbol for the south.I sure wouldnt wave the confederate flag willy nilly though if I were you.


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 440

22 Sep 2012, 8:38 am

spongy wrote:
This thread brings up a decent question.

Can any of you tell me the meaning of a swastika?
It started being the sacred symbol of auspiciousness and it still represents that in several Indian religions.

However someone hijacked it and gave it a meaning most people despise.


If I remember correctly, the swastika was also supposed to repel demons (or perhaps just the Rakshasa?) and bring blessings upon a home and family.


_________________
Et in Arcadia ego. - "Even in Arcadia, there am I."


puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,777
Location: Cottonopolis

22 Sep 2012, 8:38 am

I'm British, so I don't know.

I kind of feel for the Southern states because I come from the North of England, and there are some cultural similarities between the two places, I think due to the first white people who moved there coming from here. I know that some people associate it with the Klan, the same way some people associate the Union Jack and the Cross of St. George with the BNP and I think if people want to reclaim it from those groups, more power to them. However, I've never been one for flag flying and it's not something I care about; I don't know if that's my white privilege talking. If I was a black person in the USA, I might feel threatened by the Confederate flag, but I don't know. :?


_________________
Zombies, zombies will tear us apart...again.


OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,447
Location: About 50 miles past the middle of nowhere

22 Sep 2012, 9:06 am

Some people do have it on a flag pole at their house, but most people just use the flag and the flag design as decoration. You'll see an actual flag hung on the wall, a flag window for the back of a truck, it's on mudflaps, hat's shirts, wallets, keychains, cups, stadium seats, blankets, dog collars, pot holders, place mats, tablecloths, pillow cases. It's used in pictures, logo's, plaques, needlepoint, embroidery. You'll see it on fingernails, painted on somebody's face, in tattoos. You can get it on belt buckles, necklaces, rings, bracelets, watches, charms, earrings, nose rings, tongue rings, belly button rings, toe rings, and I've even seen it on a cross pendant. You'll find it in the design on packages, wrapping paper, greeting cards, bows, scotch tape, notebooks, binders and even toilet paper. It's pretty much all over the place.

Don't get me wrong, it's not everywhere you look, but I almost guarantee that you would see it at least once, somewhere, on something or somebody, any time you go somewhere. If we were to mean it as a racist symbol don't you think we would be having all kinds of fights and violence, killings and riots? We don't. That's because that's not what it means and most people here know that. It's just people in the other parts of the country that fail to, or refuse to understand that.

Lynerd Skynerd used it on one of their albums. Probably more than one. Are they racist? Hank Jr did too. Is he? I also believe 38 Special, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, and of course Alabama have all used it. Are they trying to represent a racist agenda?


_________________
I'm giving it another shot. We will see.
My forum is still there and everyone is welcome to come join as well. There is a private women only subforum there if anyone is interested. Also, there is no CAPTCHA. ;-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,177
Location: Aux Arcs

22 Sep 2012, 10:24 am

There was a really good show on one of the History channels on Sherman on Georgia,it did not portray him in a favorable light,I wish I could recall the name.There is no way he was a nice man,a cruel alcoholic a-hole.
If you have not been to this region it is ridiculous to assume all of us are cross burning kluxers,oh yes we have our share of ass holes but what group doesn't?If you really want racists the west has it's share too,what about all those kingdom Identity nuts in Idaho?A relative of mine was going to a job site out west and he asked the clerk at the hotel if they could park their truck by the office since it was full of tools,the clerk told them they didn't have to worry since they would never rent a room to Mexicans or [email protected]&[email protected] had a similar
experience in a convenience store where a black gentleman was in front,when this man left the clerk looked at P. and said"I just hate n$$$&@s.Racism is alive and well all over this country,I'm just tired of every one pointing their finger at the south.If you haven't lived here or been here how can you say anything about us?You are making judgements based oh heresy. Einstein said" Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
When my relation P was at someone's house at the west coast a gentleman asked him where he was from when he replied Arkansas,the man said "Oh you guys are just ignorant",WTF!! !! !!it's called CULTURAL PREJUDICE!! !! ! And this was not the only insult that he received while working on the west coast.
If I was to make general assumptions about the west coast this is what I would think(if I were stupid :lol:)That all californians talk like valley girls,all blond,tan,breast implants in the women,shallow and low I.Q.s,obsessed with shopping and partying,or your a hippie in Birkenstocks,or if your a minority your a gang banger or a domestic.See how ridiculous such generalizations are?PLEASE don't judge all Southerners by a stereotype.
Another thing people don't understand if they're not from here is that people still remember
the atrocities that the Yankees did here they burned lots of courthouses,and stole a lot of things.How do we know?Because the stories of what happened have been handed down.So if you aren't from here you really don't know,can you tell me what it's like in China if you have never been?all you would have to go on would be the reports of others,how would you know if they were right?



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,897
Location: Lancashire, UK

22 Sep 2012, 10:28 am

puddingmouse wrote:
I don't know if that's my white privilege talking.


How can you have "white privilege" if you never accepted it in the first place? That sounds like a BS theory designed to incite self-hatred.



OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,447
Location: About 50 miles past the middle of nowhere

22 Sep 2012, 10:33 am

Misslizard wrote:
There was a really good show on one of the History channels on Sherman on Georgia,it did not portray him in a favorable light,I wish I could recall the name.There is no way he was a nice man,a cruel alcoholic a-hole.
If you have not been to this region it is ridiculous to assume all of us are cross burning kluxers,oh yes we have our share of ass holes but what group doesn't?If you really want racists the west has it's share too,what about all those kingdom Identity nuts in Idaho?A relative of mine was going to a job site out west and he asked the clerk at the hotel if they could park their truck by the office since it was full of tools,the clerk told them they didn't have to worry since they would never rent a room to Mexicans or [email protected]&[email protected] had a similar
experience in a convenience store where a black gentleman was in front,when this man left the clerk looked at P. and said"I just hate n$$$&@s.Racism is alive and well all over this country,I'm just tired of every one pointing their finger at the south.If you haven't lived here or been here how can you say anything about us?You are making judgements based oh heresy. Einstein said" Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
When my relation P was at someone's house at the west coast a gentleman asked him where he was from when he replied Arkansas,the man said "Oh you guys are just ignorant",WTF!! !! !!it's called CULTURAL PREJUDICE!! !! ! And this was not the only insult that he received while working on the west coast.
If I was to make general assumptions about the west coast this is what I would think(if I were stupid :lol:)That all californians talk like valley girls,all blond,tan,breast implants in the women,shallow and low I.Q.s,obsessed with shopping and partying,or your a hippie in Birkenstocks,or if your a minority your a gang banger or a domestic.See how ridiculous such generalizations are?PLEASE don't judge all Southerners by a stereotype.
Another thing people don't understand if they're not from here is that people still remember
the atrocities that the Yankees did here they burned lots of courthouses,and stole a lot of things.How do we know?Because the stories of what happened have been handed down.So if you aren't from here you really don't know,can you tell me what it's like in China if you have never been?all you would have to go on would be the reports of others,how would you know if they were right?


+ 50


_________________
I'm giving it another shot. We will see.
My forum is still there and everyone is welcome to come join as well. There is a private women only subforum there if anyone is interested. Also, there is no CAPTCHA. ;-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com


puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,777
Location: Cottonopolis

22 Sep 2012, 10:41 am

Tequila wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
I don't know if that's my white privilege talking.


How can you have "white privilege" if you never accepted it in the first place? That sounds like a BS theory designed to incite self-hatred.


I mean it in the sense that I don't see images (like flags) on a regular basis that remind me of a dark history for people of my skin colour.


_________________
Zombies, zombies will tear us apart...again.


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,177
Location: Aux Arcs

22 Sep 2012, 11:01 am

Dear Miss OliveOilMom,bet you didn't realize you stirred up a hornets nest :lol:
Why do they make so much fun of the way we talk?At least we got FLAVOR !
We speak the king's English.after all Elvis was the king.
What about all our contributions to American culture?Blues,bluegrass,zydeco,rock-a-Billy,B.B.Q.,sweet tea,cream pies,fried chicken,fried okra,fried green tomatoes,he'll,we can fry anything and make it good!The works of Faulkner,O' Conner ,.the architecture,Johnny Cash(my homeboy!) and I could just go on and on.I'm going outside now to pick me some collard greens,okra and other good southern food,Yum.



OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,447
Location: About 50 miles past the middle of nowhere

22 Sep 2012, 11:14 am

Misslizard wrote:
Dear Miss OliveOilMom,bet you didn't realize you stirred up a hornets nest :lol:
Why do they make so much fun of the way we talk?At least we got FLAVOR !
We speak the king's English.after all Elvis was the king.
What about all our contributions to American culture?Blues,bluegrass,zydeco,rock-a-Billy,B.B.Q.,sweet tea,cream pies,fried chicken,fried okra,fried green tomatoes,he'll,we can fry anything and make it good!The works of Faulkner,O' Conner ,.the architecture,Johnny Cash(my homeboy!) and I could just go on and on.I'm going outside now to pick me some collard greens,okra and other good southern food,Yum.


I've got poke salad growing in my back yard. That's hard to find in some places. :-)

I didn't mean to stir up anything, just wanted a good debate. I haven't posted on PPR in a while so I was trying to think of some topics that would generate interest and discussion.

Later on today I'm going to post one on spanking, pro or anti? I'll post my view on it when I make my thread, but I bet you cash money you know what mine is already lol.

Dare I saw Roll Tide to you? ;-) Just playing, I'm not a rabid fan like most people, I just pull for them and hope we win but it doesn't make a difference to me. I had to say that though since you said you were from Arkansas. It's ok, two of my kids are Auburn fans so we have a mixed household lol.


_________________
I'm giving it another shot. We will see.
My forum is still there and everyone is welcome to come join as well. There is a private women only subforum there if anyone is interested. Also, there is no CAPTCHA. ;-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,177
Location: Aux Arcs

22 Sep 2012, 11:30 am

Dear Miss OliveOilMom,
Can you believe the dang deer ate almost all my poke sallet?I used to get enough to freeze.You most likely know it's a great spring tonic and blood cleaner.
I had foster parents that were originally from Montgomery and their son graduated from Auburn so I'm cool with "Roll Tide". I guess I have to be a loyal Hogs fan and say " whhooo pig sooooiiiee, Razorbacks!"But there's no way I'm wearing one of those hog hats! :lol:
Not a big follower of the games but for some people it's a big family event.
Can't wait for the spanking thread.



22 Sep 2012, 11:38 am

Tequila wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
I don't know if that's my white privilege talking.


How can you have "white privilege" if you never accepted it in the first place? That sounds like a BS theory designed to incite self-hatred.



Exactly.



TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 May 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,332

22 Sep 2012, 11:39 am

If you like that OliveOilMom, I wrote a song about spanking called Spank the Naughty Blonde. Before people criticize the song, note two things from the lyrics. It says "She likes spanking" and "It's all in fun."

It used to be one of the most popular songs from the band I founded in the early 1990s (R Band), but I have had negative reactions to it from females in the audience the last few times I've performed it publicly. It's a fun song to play, with some rock parts and some blues parts to it, but apparently most women are offended by it!

The good news is according to a famous quotation of mine from the late 1980s, that proves this song is rock and roll. I used to say (and still do sometimes) that "If nobody gets offended and nothing is broken, it ain't rock and roll!" On the other hand though, I do not want to alienate half of my potential audience! I still might play it publicly sometimes depending on the crowd.


_________________
"When you ride over sharps, you get flats!"--The Bicycling Guitarist, May 13, 2008


Last edited by TheBicyclingGuitarist on 22 Sep 2012, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,177
Location: Aux Arcs

22 Sep 2012, 11:51 am

Dear Lord Gareth,
You are right about N.B.Forrest,he was an ass.There is a statue of him in an old Memphis neighborhood and I hear its now an all black neighbor hood.Poetic justice,the man would spin in his grave.He is no hero of mine.



OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,447
Location: About 50 miles past the middle of nowhere

22 Sep 2012, 12:33 pm

TheBicyclingGuitarist wrote:
If you like that OliveOilMom, I wrote a song about spanking called Spank the Naughty Blonde. Before people criticize the song, note two things from the lyrics. It says "She likes spanking" and "It's all in fun."

It used to be one of the most popular songs from the band I founded in the early 1990s (R Band), but I have had negative reactions to it from females in the audience the last few times I've performed it publicly. It's a fun song to play, with some rock parts and some blues parts to it, but apparently most women are offended by it!

The good news is according to a famous quotation of mine from the late 1980s, that proves this song is rock and roll. I used to say (and still do sometimes) that "If nobody gets offended and nothing is broken, it ain't rock and roll!" On the other hand though, I do not want to alienate half of my potential audience! I still might play it publicly sometimes depending on the crowd.


Well, my thread is going to be about corporol punishment for kids lol, which I approve of in some instances. But I certainly really approve of the type that you are singing about!


_________________
I'm giving it another shot. We will see.
My forum is still there and everyone is welcome to come join as well. There is a private women only subforum there if anyone is interested. Also, there is no CAPTCHA. ;-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com


Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 710

22 Sep 2012, 12:59 pm

Only the rich plantation owners could afford to buy slaves during the time of the Civil War. A lot of Southerners were still racist even though they didn't own slaves. A lot of Northerners were racist too during that time even though slavery was illegal in the North. I'd say that flying a Confederate flag doesn't necessarily mean that someone is racist. It could mean that, or it could mean that they're a Southern separatist who blames Northern politicians for the bad decisions of the federal government. They also could be flying the flag because they're mad about Northern stereotypes of Southerners and they want to show that they're proud to be a Southerner.