Page 9 of 28 [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 28  Next

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 8:44 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
I don't consider the Confederate Flag to be racist.

There were many people in the south who did not own slaves.

In many Southern states, the majority of the people were slaves.

While there were slaves who were White, the majority of slaves had at least some African ancestry.

If the Confederacy wasn't racist, I would hate to see what you think real racism entails.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 9:28 pm

Excuse me but how does a Vet in Afghanistan sully his reputation by dying serving the U.S. Military on the basis he was from the South ?Seems to me you are quite prejudiced yourself,it's called CULTURAL PREJUDICED.If you bother to read Arkansas's ordinance of succession slavery is NOT mentioned.I don't judge the people of New Jersey on the behavior of a few asses on a reality show so don't judge my culture on the basis of a few a-holes.You do know that most of the founding fathers owned slaves?My first ancestor that came to America was an indentured servant.you have no right to call me a racist on the basis of where I live,I have had people of every race and religion in my home and all were made welcome.I am on SPLC wall of Tolerance and a founding contributor to the M.L.King memorial in D.C.And did you notice on an earlier post of mine that my great-great grandfather fought UNION ,his brother for the C.S.A.?Neither owned slaves.A lot of people in the areas of the South where there were not many slaves didn't want to take up arms against their family or neighbors,if you were not a planter than slavery was not necessarily a issue but rather states rights.Are you going to blame us for the fact that slavery exists in it's atrocity to this day?And the remark about the Veterans was WAY out of line,they sullied their reputation by being Southern?Seems to me your the one with a tolerance problem.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 10:14 pm

The people who fought against the US government, on behalf of slavery, sullied their reputations by doing so.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 10:25 pm

Not all fought for slavery and I was talking about Vets from the current conflicts who are from the South and yes, I agree to fight for slavery is abhorrent ,but the point I'm making is don't judge all of us ,because some were fighting for very different reasons.No culture is totally evil and no culture is totally good.Everyone has an ancestor somewhere who did something awful ,there are skeletons in all our closets.I wish it was a perfect world.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Sep 2012, 11:13 pm

The continued use of the rebel flag in the American South indicates, to me, that the Union might have been mistaken to reincorporate the Confederacy after the Revolution. :twisted:

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 11:36 pm

Nobody forced them :lol: :lol: :lol: And whatever would you do without the lovely Southern belles?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 9:47 am

Who says that the South is no longer racist?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 11:30 am

I never said that there wasn't a problem,but to do a fair demographic maybe you should pull up the same stats for non Southern states,Did you know that California leads the nation in hate groups?A total of 84,what is their rate of incarceration for non-Caucasian males?Be fair and pull up ALL the states.And there is a really nasty group that is quite imbedded in the west,it's called the Kingdom Identity movement and they are the true evil embodiment of all that is racist.Racism is sadly alive and well all over the globe,not just the south.And the stats on the hate groups is available from the SPLC.Just. curious,do you know who they are?
They are based in Montgomery and are dedicated to ending racism of all kinds everywhere.
Stop being so judgmental on everyone here,lots of us are working to change things.It's sure easy for you ,to point your finger but what are you doing about it?Don't tell me you live in some idyllic place where there are no problems because that place does not exist on this Earth.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 4:58 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nGw_vAnqPI[/youtube]

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 5:18 pm

Funny,but tell me why it is o.k. for people to use the term "redneck",sounds racist to me.It is also not very nice to refer to any group as ignorant.My father was district manager for a major insurance co and my mom managed a department store so they were not ignorant people,no one ever called us rednecks.Again,you are generalizing.
My son called me out on this,I was referring to some one as "white trash",and he asked me what was the difference between using the "n" word and referring to someone as trash.I realized he was right,an insult that is designed to belittle someone and make them feel bad is always wrong.
If I encounter racists I always ask them this," Who would you rather have living next to you,the Cosby family or the Manson family?."it shuts them up EVERY time,there is no logical rebuttal,the only sane answer is the Cosbys.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 5:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Rebel flag, racist or not?

Not.

The Flag of the Confederate States is, in and of itself, not a racist item. Nor was the Civil War only about slavery. In fact, a resolution passed by the U.S. Congress in 1861 (07/22) declared that the war was being fought to "preserve the Union", not to destroy slavery. Further, it was not until 1863 (01/01) that the Emancipation Proclamation is issued -- only then did the war to preserve the Union come to be a revolutionary struggle for the abolition of slavery.

That does not make the Confederate Flag non-racist. Furthermore, Lincoln was a politician, and had to do a fair amount of dissembling in order to build consensus for his programs. Was President Bush perfectly honest about starting the war in Iraq? Of course not. Did anyone tell the truth about the Vietnam War? Hell, no! Who would have supported that war if anyone had been told the truth about it? Did Ronald Reagan tell the truth about his bloody proxy wars in Central America? No way!

Shortly after re-election, Lincoln pushed through the 13th amendment, which formally abolished slavery, once and for all.

Southerners like to kid themselves into thinking that they were never racists, and that the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery.

Fnord wrote:
Considering that the Civil War began in 1861 (04/12) -- 20 months before the Emancipation Proclamation -- with an attack on Fort Sumter by the Confederates under Gen. Pierre Beauregard, it becomes plain to see that the war began before slavery became THE major issue in the war. According to This Website, the top five causes of the Civil War were:

1. Economic and social differences between the North and the South.

Southerners owned slaves. Northerners didn't.

Fnord wrote:
2. States versus federal rights.

"States rights" concerning slavery.

Fnord wrote:
3. The fight between Slave and Non-Slave State Proponents.

Yes.

Fnord wrote:
4. Growth of the Abolition Movement.

Yes.

Fnord wrote:
5. The election of Abraham Lincoln.

Because they were afraid that he might free their slaves.

Fnord wrote:
Of these five reasons, the first two were most significant before the war started.

The first two were directly tied to slavery.

Fnord wrote:
Economic and social stratification, and rights of the states versus the federal government are, even now, major issues facing America, and likely always will be.

Economic and social stratification, yes. "States Rights": not outside of the South, where "States Rights" was a codeword for slavery and segregation.

Fnord wrote:
To claim that the Civil War was ONLY about slavery is to make an erroneous claim, just as it is to say that a piece of cloth with eleven stars stitched to it somehow represents the abominations that are racism and slavery.

It was about Southern Whites seeking to maintain their privileges. Everything else was just a side excuse.

Fnord wrote:
No, flags are not racist; people are.

The Confederate Flag is the Flag of Racists.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 6:32 pm

Northerners did own slaves,but they preferred to exploit immigrants.
source:www.slavenorth.com
2/3 of Southerners owned NO slaves.
source:www.civilwar.org/education/history/civil-war-overview/northandsouth.html

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 6:39 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Northerners did own slaves,but they preferred to exploit immigrants.
source:www.slavenorth.com
2/3 of Southerners owned NO slaves.
source:www.civilwar.org/education/history/civil-war-overview/northandsouth.html

Does that 2/3 figure include slaves?

Southerners also preferred exploiting Irish immigrants over risking their slaves for more dangerous tasks.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 7:03 pm

I doubt you had a chance to read either article.But you never answered my question,how is it politically correct to refer to people as "rednecks"?. If I say that term is offensive,why do you think it's o.k.to use it?play fair now.And yes I know about the exploitation of the Irish in the south.A good friend is Irish,from Lake Charles,La.But from what he has told me there never was the amount of racism that the famine Irish endured in the industrialized North.No one hung up signs that said "no Irish need apply". I'm taking his word on that,it's his history.
Are you going to say that every one that flies the Don't Tread On Me flag is a Tea Partier( or tea bagger or whatever they call themselves.) ?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 7:38 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I doubt you had a chance to read either article.But you never answered my question,how is it politically correct to refer to people as "rednecks"?. If I say that term is offensive,why do you think it's o.k.to use it?play fair now.

The term "Redneck" doesn't bother me.

Misslizard wrote:
yes I know about the exploitation of the Irish in the south.A good friend is Irish,from Lake Charles,La.But from what he has told me there never was the amount of racism that the famine Irish endured in the industrialized North.No one hung up signs that said "no Irish need apply". I'm taking his word on that,it's his history.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18487_6- ... ue_p2.html

^See "Ridiculous History Myth Number 2"

Misslizard wrote:
Are you going to say that every one that flies the Don't Tread On Me flag is a Tea Partier( or tea bagger or whatever they call themselves.) ?

Maybe some of them just like lizards.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 7:52 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I doubt you had a chance to read either article.

I looked at them. What point were you trying to make?

Here are some better details on the slave population:

http://www2.census.gov/prod2/decennial/ ... 97ch14.pdf

You can see that, in the Northern States, slavery gradually died out on its own over time, whereas, in the South, slavery became more and more intense as time went on.