Veteran

29 May 2013, 3:28 pm

/\
Your kin folk?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 3:30 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sov-B8flEmc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Both my great-grannies looked exactly like her :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 3:45 pm

[img][800:720]http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u660/2lucky4snuffy/ccb9a5f6d3730deab41466f09aa9cf5e_zps05b2e830.jpg[/img]

The man squatting down is my great- great-grandfather,Civil War calvary vet,the man second on the left standing is my great- grandfather.This was about 1890 or so.This is on the White River but this spot is now under Table Rock lake.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 5:38 pm

By today's standards, they would be diagnosed with anorexia.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 5:50 pm

Misslizard wrote:
[img][800:720]http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u660/2lucky4snuffy/ccb9a5f6d3730deab41466f09aa9cf5e_zps05b2e830.jpg[/img]

The man squatting down is my great- great-grandfather,Civil War calvary vet,the man second on the left standing is my great- grandfather.This was about 1890 or so.This is on the White River but this spot is now under Table Rock lake.

That picture could have passed for anywhere in the west back in 1890.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 6:01 pm

Alexander Stephens, VP of the Confederacy wrote:

The new Constitution has put at rest forever all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institutions—African slavery as it exists among us—the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson, in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact. But whether he fully comprehended the great truth upon which that rock stood and stands, may be doubted. The prevailing ideas entertained by him and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old Constitution were, that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally and politically. It was an evil they knew not well how to deal with; but the general opinion of the men of that day was, that, somehow or other, in the order of Providence, the institution would be evanescent and pass away... Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the idea of a Government built upon it—when the "storm came and the wind blew, it fell."

Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition.

Yes, the CSA was profoundly racist. Those who fly the flag don't usually do it out of racism but the fact remains that what this flag stands for is an abomination

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 6:16 pm

[img][800:720]http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u660/2lucky4snuffy/d6d01f59673c0ad84d36ce62c7918523_zps284263b7.jpg[/img]

This is in 1870,they do look thin.And look at that old hat on the floor.The baby is nice and fat.This is the same man that was squatting down in the other photo,it does look like the wild west,or the James Brothers :lol: If you look close there is a large deer and a dog in the photo.There was a lot of bushwhacking that went on in this area for years after the war was over so I think most people were pretty well armed.
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/mo-baldknobber.html

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 6:46 pm

if the abolitionists say slavery was racist then the marriage abolitionists will say that marriage was sexist.

redriverronin
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2013, 1:09 am

People the world over would rather worry and fight about things that are no longer problems or that never were problems in the first place than worry and fight for real issues that effect us thats what naacp feminism MRA gay and imigrant rights problems do divide and distract from whats important.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 12:32 am

I say it's a symbol of the South's cultural identity and heritage which I am happy with.
I have seen it used a lot here always used as a symbol of the South and not racism.

Last edited by AntDog on 06 Feb 2014, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 12:47 am

AntDog wrote:
I say it's a symbol of the South's cultural identity and heritage.
I have seen it used a lot here, always used as a symbol of the South and not racism.

While I don't dispute that it's a symbol of southern cultural identity, it's undeniable that the KKK, Nazis, Neo-Confederates, and other purveyors of hatred regularly use it as a symbol of hate. It was used as a symbol of anti-desegregation reaction during the civil rights era. If those whites who want to only celebrate their confederate heritage are sincere, they should be the first to speak out against the use of the Confederate flag by bigots.

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 2:53 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p27caZ-EfKg[/youtube]

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 4:29 am

i think its funny that people are like its bad cause the kkk or other racist fly it, they also fly the american flag alot too. most don't even fly the actually CSA flag but the battle flag.

as for flags it depends on the person, many outside the usa and even some inside view the USA flag as a symbol of evil, empire-ism, or occupation. should we stop using it and change it like the Russians did

i don't have a problem with it, i wouldn't fly it myself cause of fear, there's a guy who has a big one on his truck though and know ones messed with it.

as for the war its arguable, i wonder how history would have been written if the south won and we stated two nations. though to be honest their economic system would have broke down and they lightly wouldn't have lasted, they knew that it wasn't a good system but couldn't afford to transition. said system is what hurt them in the war, they had less population and far less industry.

the CSA national flag evolution i found interesting though, people in similar color uniforms, with a very similar flag fighting each other then the next one without wind looked like a white flag of peace lol.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 12:16 pm

sly279 wrote:
i think its funny that people are like its bad cause the kkk or other racist fly it, they also fly the american flag alot too. most don't even fly the actually CSA flag but the battle flag.

as for flags it depends on the person, many outside the usa and even some inside view the USA flag as a symbol of evil, empire-ism, or occupation. should we stop using it and change it like the Russians did

i don't have a problem with it, i wouldn't fly it myself cause of fear, there's a guy who has a big one on his truck though and know ones messed with it.

as for the war its arguable, i wonder how history would have been written if the south won and we stated two nations. though to be honest their economic system would have broke down and they lightly wouldn't have lasted, they knew that it wasn't a good system but couldn't afford to transition. said system is what hurt them in the war, they had less population and far less industry.

the CSA national flag evolution i found interesting though, people in similar color uniforms, with a very similar flag fighting each other then the next one without wind looked like a white flag of peace lol.

The point of the KKK flying the Confederate flag is one of white supremacy, not of southern heritage. And if it came down to the Confederate or American flag being flown by those inbreeders, I'd prefer they stick with the stars and bars, so they won't dirty the flag of my country with their hate.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 1:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:

The point of the KKK flying the Confederate flag is one of white supremacy, not of southern heritage. And if it came down to the Confederate or American flag being flown by those inbreeders, I'd prefer they stick with the stars and bars, so they won't dirty the flag of my country with their hate.

" I'd prefer they stick with the stars and bars, so they won't dirty the flag of my country with their hate"

And this previous quote seems to describe the "Voice of the South: "Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition."

In my travels through the South I found the above quote to be observably true. I didn't see anyone attacking black people with a water cannon but something worse: A way of living that discriminates through "what is customary." WHENEVER I witnessed a minor confrontation (such as two people arriving in a checkout line simultaneously) unless the white person made a great show of allowing a black person to go first, the black person always took second place (even--can you believe-- while lowering their gaze in a submissive manner. I couldn't believe it.....it was as though I was the only one witnessing this. I have no doubt a resident of these areas would notice nothing as this is everyday life in the racist south. Many people there still use the "title" BOY when addressing adult males....do they think this is cute??????

An interested friend in Florida suggests at least 4 more generations to make this horror fade away.

denny