Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 1:40 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBfMxE2irpo&feature=related[/youtube]Since the economic collapse of Americas economy China presses forward and continues to gain momentum.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 1:54 am

it has largely slowed down since the European situation has worsened, India's slowing down and most of the BRICS in general has also not helped them. Their growth to number one cannot come at US decline, US decline will reverse everything they've built up.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 2:26 am

There's more than one type of superpower, isn't there? Maybe China will be the main economic superpower, but the US will be the main military superpower for a long time. If strategy games have taught me anything, it's that being a military superpower is better than being an economic superpower. You can always just threaten the economic superpower and get them to give you stuff.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 4:41 am

Nice video

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2012, 4:54 am

Declension wrote:
There's more than one type of superpower, isn't there? Maybe China will be the main economic superpower, but the US will be the main military superpower for a long time. If strategy games have taught me anything, it's that being a military superpower is better than being an economic superpower. You can always just threaten the economic superpower and get them to give you stuff.

Do your strategy games involve nuclear warfare? In your game, is your economy so tied up with the agent that you're threatening that if they refuse to be threatened they can just remove trade and tank you? And on top of this, is your opponent an ancient, proud culture that is riding a nationalist, productive economic surge in a freaking Stalinist totalitarian government? I didn't think so.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 6:30 am

Declension wrote:

Strategy games are games. In real life, military power is completely worthless if there are no wars. Neither the US nor China want one, especially not against each other.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 11:34 am

What goes around comes around. During the Tang Dynasty China was at least 500 years ahead of anything going on in Europe, and in North America the aboriginals were still skinning bears.

ruveyn

16 Oct 2012, 11:39 am

Declension wrote:

The 2nd most powerful military in this world does not belong to China, it belongs to RUSSIA. So perhaps Russia can use it's superior military to coerce China to dump money in Russia's economy; which has improved dramatically due to oil and gas exports but not enough.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 11:45 am

I think China will do well, but I think the era of super powers will not last.

Reasoning for this, is the pace of development is a lot faster than the nineteenth century and people are very mobile.

Wage demands are increasing in China. Economic history teaches us that industrial revolutions do not last. Everyone wants a higher standard of living wherever they are in the world.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 11:57 am

Russia is pretty much a basket case.

Doing business with Russia is not attractive. At least the corruption in Asia is manageable. The corruption in Russia is of the worst kind. You want to go there, make sure you have your "roof" payment down. You business has no security, they could snatch it at any time. There are two types of corrupt people in Russia, those the are aligned to Putin, and those that risk going it alone.

You post was apt in the sense that you highlighted the lack of diversity in the Russian economy.

I don't really agree with you assessment with military might. In terms of numbers China wins. In terms of arsenal China arguably come out ahead of Russsia, and also that won't be debate for much longer considering in is China not Russia putting in the defense investment.

In terms of a Sino-Russ conflict, Russia would loose, due to capacity and viable range.

16 Oct 2012, 12:50 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Russia is pretty much a basket case.

Doing business with Russia is not attractive. At least the corruption in Asia is manageable. The corruption in Russia is of the worst kind. You want to go there, make sure you have your "roof" payment down. You business has no security, they could snatch it at any time. There are two types of corrupt people in Russia, those the are aligned to Putin, and those that risk going it alone.

You post was apt in the sense that you highlighted the lack of diversity in the Russian economy.

I don't really agree with you assessment with military might. In terms of numbers China wins. In terms of arsenal China arguably come out ahead of Russsia, and also that won't be debate for much longer considering in is China not Russia putting in the defense investment.

In terms of a Sino-Russ conflict, Russia would loose, due to capacity and viable range.

Actually, if there were a military conflict between China and Russia, Russia would WIN EASILY! Russian missiles can easily reach Chinese territory and Russia has a much larger nuclear arsenal and more diverse delivery systems than China does! You are WRONG about defense investment. Russia is spending more than China is on defense and is currently developing the world's fastest cruise missile(the BrahMos II which travels at Mach 8+ to its target).

You are correct about the lack of diversity of Russia's current economy which is why having a much bigger, stronger military than China is very important and useful to them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 1:19 pm

In what timescale?

While Mitt, or Barack, are running our country in the next four years?

Not a chance.

But over the next 100 years? Very likely.
Next 300?
Almost certainly.

China has been a major power for most the last 3000 years. So why would it not rise again after its brief hiaturs of only a couple centuries?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 1:42 pm

next?

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 2:47 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTIumPfiqXs&feature=related[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 10:47 pm

I doubt any country that can't grow it's own food will ever take over the world.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 11:07 pm

Tensu wrote:
I doubt any country that can't grow it's own food will ever take over the world.

What about the British Empire?