Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

impulse343
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2012, 8:30 am

Oodain wrote:
phrenology is about as valid as reading starsigns or meridian lines, that is to say not at all.

killing random people doesnt help her case,

but would it have been acceptable had it been the people that actually did cause her to suffer, and why?

In most cases, it isn't acceptable to murder anyone at all. Not even criminals. However, in some cases (ex: removing brutal dictators), murder can be justifiable.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 8:39 am

impulse343 wrote:
Oodain wrote:
phrenology is about as valid as reading starsigns or meridian lines, that is to say not at all.

but would it have been acceptable had it been the people that actually did cause her to suffer, and why?

In most cases, it isn't acceptable to murder anyone at all. Not even criminals. However, in some cases (ex: removing brutal dictators), murder can be justifiable.

why is it justifiable, how do you justify it, that is the question im asking.

before you said
Quote:
Never said that. You're putting words in my mouth. A murder is only justified if the murder in question does more benefit than harm. For example, killing a brutal dictator is usually OK, but it depends on the case.

but with that argument there are much more than dictators that can be justified, since it is based around solely subjective variables,
more benefit than harm to whom?
what is benefit and harm even in this context, does the view of the people affected play into it, if it does then how strongly should it play into it, it could mean that even dictators cant be justifiably killed.

the arugment is flawed and needs work, especially in the context of murder.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

impulse343
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2012, 9:56 am

Oodain wrote:
impulse343 wrote:
Oodain wrote:

why is it justifiable, how do you justify it, that is the question im asking.

before you said
Quote:
Never said that. You're putting words in my mouth. A murder is only justified if the murder in question does more benefit than harm. For example, killing a brutal dictator is usually OK, but it depends on the case.

but with that argument there are much more than dictators that can be justified, since it is based around solely subjective variables,
more benefit than harm to whom?
what is benefit and harm even in this context, does the view of the people affected play into it, if it does then how strongly should it play into it, it could mean that even dictators cant be justifiably killed.

the arugment is flawed and needs work, especially in the context of murder.

"why is it justifiable, how do you justify it, that is the question im asking."
"but with that argument there are much more than dictators that can be justified, since it is based around solely subjective variables,
more benefit than harm to whom?"

The notion of higher benefits than costs is placed in the context of my values. Of course, you don't have to agree with them.

There's no such thing as justifiable values. There's no objective point of view, there's no divine and absolute morality, there are no objective values. It all depends on one's values.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 9:59 am

excactly my point.

i do think that there are plenty of ways to do cost/benefit analysis and plenty of ways to argue for them but it requires far more than general statements and there is, nor will there ever be a clear cut answer.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Issit
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2012, 10:23 am

Well, I read several documents and books about her,
what you find in Wikipedia is far from being the whole story.

She, as many of us, felt bullied by society as such
and let us not to forget got some nasty sexual and other abuse while in psychiatric hospital.
Where noone had helped her.

She did not feel someone was evil,
she felt society was evil,
and she wanted to show the weak ones can raise their hand too.. and hit.

She repeated again and again:
I am not crazy, what I do I do being fully conscius and aware,
aware of the fact I will be executed- too.
But I do it to make socierty see it can not go on destroying its odd members.

Issit
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2012, 10:37 am

impulse343 wrote:
Surfman wrote:
Psychobable spin doctors in the house

I think you might be psychotic. You keep on saying some incoherent nonsense over and over again. This is one of the key symptoms of psychotic disorder, such as schizophrenia. You should seek psychiatric help as soon as possible.

impulse343 wrote:
I believe you should be put under surveillance by your state security service for suggesting that such people are "noble". It puts you into a mass murderer risk group.

Are you someone who is qualified to diagnose human mental states,
or are you just showing off.
Because, for myself, I am not impressed.
At all.

impulse343
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2012, 10:44 am

Issit wrote:
Well, I read several documents and books about her,
what you find in Wikipedia is far from being the whole story.

She, as many of us, felt bullied by society as such
and let us not to forget got some nasty sexual and other abuse while in psychiatric hospital.
Where noone had helped her.

She did not feel someone was evil,
and she wanted to show the weak ones can raise their hand too.. and hit.

She repeated again and again:
I am not crazy, what I do I do being fully conscius and aware,
aware of the fact I will be executed- too.
But I do it to make socierty see it can not go on destroying its odd members.

"She, as many of us, felt bullied by society as such"

"She did not feel someone was evil,
and she wanted to show the weak ones can raise their hand too.. and hit."

Then she was prone to the Ultimate attribution error cognitive bias. There's nothing exciting about this woman at all. "The society" is a highly heterogeneous entity. Not a homogeneous one.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Then she was prone to the Ultimate attribution error cognitive bias. There's nothing exciting about this woman at all. "The society" is a highly heterogeneous entity. Not a homogeneous one.

Society is not the same thing to all of us. It is reactive in that how you are treated depends on who you are. If you were a plantation owner in the American South before the Civil war then Society was great. If you were slave, then it wasn't. And I doubt that the arguument that not all white people were bad would get far with most slaves.

If every person you meet treats you like sh** it's actually irrational to believe something that is contrary to all of the evidence that you have.

Does that justify murder? I think that the woman that is the subject of this thread hadn't thought about how murder causes pain to loved ones. But perhaps she never experienced such familial love and so was not able to consider that.

OTOH, in war and in executing murderers the feelings of loved ones is discarded, so It's not an alien concept in society. Who cares about Hitler's mother's feelings? I guess it really depends on how evil you think people are. OTOOH, I don't care much for the feelings of loved ones of bullies -- they're often enablers and defenders of their toxic relative's behavior -- but still, I don't quite wish the bullies were dead. Ok, sometimes I do, but I try not to fixate on that thought/feeling.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 2:10 pm

Issit wrote:
impulse343 wrote:
Surfman wrote:
Psychobable spin doctors in the house

I think you might be psychotic. You keep on saying some incoherent nonsense over and over again. This is one of the key symptoms of psychotic disorder, such as schizophrenia. You should seek psychiatric help as soon as possible.

impulse343 wrote:
I believe you should be put under surveillance by your state security service for suggesting that such people are "noble". It puts you into a mass murderer risk group.

Are you someone who is qualified to diagnose human mental states,
or are you just showing off.
Because, for myself, I am not impressed.
At all.

he is defending brutal dictators.... who he later states should be killed....???

I believe he is part of the brutal dictatorship team....

Attacking me for a valid opinion about terrorist thinking..... shows he needs to be
tested

I'd say peps such as
Are part of the
problem
That causes good peps to snap....
Amok has been around a long time

Evil empire boy....
tested

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 2:17 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
.........................they're often enablers and defenders of their toxic relative's behavior -- but still, I don't quite wish the bullies were dead. Ok, sometimes I do, but I try not to fixate on that thought/feeling.

great post thanks Apple
enablers are everywhere

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 2:25 pm

Well, if Arafat got nobel prize of peace, why couldn't this Olga you mention, I don't understand?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 2:31 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
To be honest, she sounds like a psychopath and completely deranged. Killing people she didn't even know, just because some (other) people had been cruel to her. That's twisted and sick. Had she killed the people who had been mean to her, then I could understand that, but not what she did. I don't see why anyone could call her 'noble'.

A bit like a female Breivik, perhaps?

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 2:49 pm

Brevik espoused a white supremacist ideology
he was a racist

She suffered at the hands of the state
I suppose Brevik would say the same
But he was a spoilt bratty rich mummies boy

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 4:28 pm

Moondust wrote:
Well, if Arafat got nobel prize of peace, why couldn't this Olga you mention, I don't understand?
Political opinions aside, "political acclaim" or even "popularity" is not the same thing as morality. So, sure, your Olga could get the Nobel peace prize, but it would only make the Nobel peace prize mean less, and it sure wouldn't say anything about her as a person.

Fact is, everybody in the world can say you're a wonderful person, and you can still be a terrible person. There have been some awfully popular genocidal dictators, and that didn't make them any better.

That this person condemned "society" as a whole, and then proposed to protest the problem by killing people, says to me that she wasn't thinking logically. Our culture is a body of knowledge and ideas, and it is not embodied in any particular person. If you want to attack "society", you do it by attacking and changing ideas. You cannot kill an idea by killing people unless you kill every single person who was ever exposed to an idea--whether they agree with it or not. If you leave any survivors, the idea grows stronger because the deaths popularize it. Realistically, that means that by the time an idea causes even an iota of trouble, it has grown immune to attacks on the people who hold it in their minds.

If I can realize that after five minutes' thought, someone who brooded about it for months would have realized it too if they had been willing to. I can only conclude that she wasn't willing to entertain solutions that didn't involve killing others, nor was she willing to entertain the idea that killing others would actually be counterproductive. She simply wanted to kill people and found a way to rationalize it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 4:40 pm

I see her as being no different from Eric and Dylan, James Holmes or Andy Brevik.

With that said, I do feel kind of sorry for her. It makes me sad humanity on the whole is such an unloving species, maybe a lot of these people just snap in fits of frustration with their disappointment in human nature?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 5:00 pm

Issit wrote:
Aha.
So, to kill innocent people in stupid wars (and majority of wars are stupid) or when instructed by authority
is OK or noble, but to kill innocent people if you are not backed up by goverment ( and you have a cause) is totally different issue?

At the end of the day we are all responsible for our own actions.

I said noble murderer.
Murderer is not a very pretty word, is it?
By using that word I was acknowledging the horror of the act.
However she was starved of love, yet she used her life to save others from the same fate.
Yes, she was misled.
But she was pure in heart. That is my opinion.

I do not think I will become a mass murderer,
as I respect life in all forms.
And do not kill even insects.

Maybe I am too brutally honest, maybe I should kept some things to myself. :?

BTW: how many people that we see as noble were actually murderers?
(like Robin Hood, for example)

And no ,kids, please do not kill.

So...if one of your friends or family were one of the people killed- and you learned that the killer just randomly picked them to kill because the killer had been bullied- you would be applauding it and would consider the act "noble"?

Is that what you are saying?